Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: [Care] What is with the Screaming?

BubbaDuck02

[Care] What is with the Screaming?

Why does my cockateil scream in the cage, out of the cage, and at feet? When he does it we let him out and he still does it and if he is by your feet he will do it too. Does he think that my feet are another bird? I have looked all over for the reason and i can't find anything. Please help!

Bubbaduck02

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: What is with the screaming?

he's probably calling for attention. this could get to be a real problem, so it's best to try get rid of it now. the only way is to ignore it! absolutly NO attention, negitive or otherwise. don't even say 'no' or cover his cage or ANYTHING. leave the room if possible.... likely it'll get worse before it gets better (you ignore, he'll scream more for attention, etc, until he shuts up!) any attention will reinforce it, as tiels are drama lovers, they'll link screaming with attention, and get worse! infact, you've unwittingly alrady reinforced it by letting him out when he screams. he now knows, to get out of his cage, all he has to do is scream!
    it'll take a heck of alot of patience on yours and your families behalf, but it's important you stick it out! it may just be a bit anoying now, but it will likely get worse to the point where it's unbearable, so get rid of it now! as soon as he's been quiet for a bit (only has to be a few seconds at first!) give him attention! when he screams, switch off and ignore him. he'll learn!
    best of luck!!!

FD

Thanks

Re: [TCS FAQ] What is with the screaming?

You're training him to scream to get his way if you let him out when he does so.

This isn't 'quieting' him at all, it's teaching him to scream.

Please see the following post I made for more info, I don't feel like retyping it.

pub103.ezboard.com/ftheco...=231.topic

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: [Care] What is with the Screaming?

we are training a corella..and boy can they ever screech! cockatiels sound like windchimes in comparison
    so parrot school advises u ignore....otherwise it just learns that it gets what it wants..
    yelling is not good either...remember they increase their noise when the tv is on and even compete with the tv...so yelling wont work...dont get angry ..
    theyre just doing bird things...keep calm even tho its immensely irritating...lol

reward and give it attention when its not screeching..just like u turn ur back on a dog that is jumping up on u and reward it immediately it sits down ..same principle
    birds do screech...the big ones screech esp loudly upon awakening to get the flock together and at night to settle everyone

my budgies and cockatiels call to each other ..the tiels have this special " come lets fly" call and if one takes off the other follows...its just the way of the flock mentality ..so maybe ur tiel is anxious if at ur feet...it may feel separated from u , its owner/flock member///
    mine dont screech ..,.they do have lots of chirps and whistles but i havent heard any distress signals lol
    im sure they would if they were separated !
    the budgies, too are kept in pairs when out playing with the kids...it just gives them that added security that theyre not alone...theyll happily muck about with kids then ...but if one is left it will call and call and finally try to find another member...instinct again..
    good luck with ur training...

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    kate
    Thanks

It's hard to learn to ignore this type of screaming at first, especially if you have had dogs in the past and have always responded to barking or destructive behavior with verbal commands and telling them no. It is just such a different story with birds, and luckily you do get used to treating them differently. It can take some time to get used to ignoring their screams, but you will get there, and once he learns that you will ignore the screams, he will eventually quiet down. I know how frustrating it can be, but believe me, it gets better! Just give it lots of time and patience.

As for believing your foot is another bird, mine does this constantly! I think he is in love with my feet. He makes courtship whistles to my feet.

Even when your tiel stops the screaming, expect him to make calls in the morning and evening. That is perfectly natural and is a part of their social nature. Those calls will never go away. But they should be happy calls. Loud at times, yes, but not unhappy screaming.

Just remember, time and patience, that's the key.

Name
    Alison
    Thanks

The advice given in the first of this thread (I didn't read the entire thing) is correct. Ignore the bird. If you do anything to make him shut up, that only teaches that your bird can make you do things by screaming. If you have picked him up to quiet him, he has trained you pretty well! Just have patience and stay strong...the behavior should die out if not rewarded with attention for awhile. (I'm not saying not to pay attention to your bird, just make sure to lavish him with attention when he is quiet).

If he is having a bad screaming fit, covering the cage for a few minutes will probably shut him up long enough for you to reward his quietness.

If he gives a few squawks when something is outside, he is just warning his flock of danger as best he can. The rest is probably just for attention.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

If he's screaming all day long it could be a few things. First, does he get uninterrupted sleep for atleast 12 hours? If not, this is very important. Cranky birds scream Make sure he is covered and in a place where he won't be kept up by noise. Have you changed his diet recently? He might be reacting to the new food. There's also a chance there is something wrong with him such as mites or an illness, and he should be checked by a vet. I hope this helps, please keep up updated! Also, you might want to start a new thread about this, you will probably get more responses in another section
    Spresso
    Med School... watch out! Go Tigers!
    Click on these guys to help them hatch

Remove Ads