Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Moon and Star6

[Other] New Bird "Hates" You?

Well I actually think that it hates me. I mean everytime I go near it, it moves further into the cage. When I try to put water in there or something it gets all scared and it may squawk. I got it on Sunday. Do you think this is normal? Do you have any tips for me.

It's all white and it has grey on it's back feathers. The lady told me it was a baby but I'm not too sure.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Help on my new birdy.

TIME!!!!!! give her time time and more time! my tiel was just like that. she freaked when i changed her food and water and cleaned her cage. she ran to the opposite side of the cage i was at, she'd hiss and squark and generaly act like i was the worst thing in the world! after much time and patience, she will sometimes get on my finger, but loves to "hang" with me on my bed, and be near me, just not touching yet. you only just got it, it is totaly understanable that it is freaked! all this major change, a strange human trying to befriend it, well they don't see it as befriending! don't try to handle her (i'm saying its a her, but if its young, there is no way to tell until it's older) or do ANYTHING with her except change her food and water and clean her cage, for at least a week, if not 2 weeks! she needs time to get to know the routine of you house. try to clean her feed her etc at regular times, so she's not so threatened with unpridictibility. if she knows food is coming in the morning, she'll be better. time, just give her time to get used to the whole new surroundings and way of living! she'll get better, and then you can start trying to tame her! good luck, and do keep us posted! we're here to help, and i hope i have! just don't rush her yet.

FD

Thanks

Re: Help on my new birdy.

It's very normal, especially if the bird is from a pet store.

pet store birds are generally not well socialized, and even if the baby was handfed, they revert to being as wild as parentfed babies if not handled regurlarly by pet store staff.

On average, a poorly socialized pet store baby takes between 6-8 months to fully tame down.

A well socialized baby from a good store or from a good breeder generally tames down in less than 2 weeks.

As Flyingduster said, you need to give your bird time. Lots and lots of time.
    If you try to push her too hard, you'll damage trust, so it's essential that you take it at her pace.
    Whatever pace she chooses is the appropriate pace.

Some birds are more shy than others and take longer; some are more outgoing and tame very quickly...since yoru bird is an individual, you'll have to kind of work it out with her.

Moon and Star6

Re: [TCS FAQ] New Bird "Hates" You?

Well just thought that I'd update..... Aiko and i are doing really good now. He perches on my shoulder a lot and chirps sometimes. He gets a lot of attention from my mother too which is good because she has never really bonded with a lot of my pets........ i guess tiels are just irresistable!

Stephanie

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: [TCS FAQ] New Bird "Hates" You?

yay! it's really awsome to hear a success!!!! time does help ya see! and a big congrats at how well you are doing!!!!!!! and a great happy ending. alot of ppl have replyed to this toic, even lately, when it's an old one! so now we can all see that it's ok! thanx for the update!!!!!! and keep going like you are, it can only get better!

FD

Hormonal
    Thanks

Re: [Other] New Bird "Hates" You?

oh dear
    bird simply dont hate
    they are frightened or territorial
    i always think of people out in the wilderness ..how did they ever train and tame their birds?
    patience thats all and gentle handling when the animal allowed it

this is how i tame birds
    i clip their wings
    yes cruel and i know the downside but i believe a tame bird is a calm bird and i think it keeps them safe while theyre in that skittish state
    so then i handle them lots
    put my hand in the cage lots of times
    keep the cage with me as much i can ..im lucky cost the birds are with me all waking hours
    i handle them lots but also give them free choice...they hang out with me at a desk or on a tree that i have rigged up near my desk at home
    i just become part of their environment and they accept it
    some are harder to tame..females in particular but also a couple of extra nervy male budgies ( babies) i have
    but...its just a matter of desensitisation ..yes u get nipped ..u get mauled by budgie standards but lots of laddering lots of step ups
    with tiels..id put my face close ..babble at them and quickly withdraw b4 they had a chance to really be sure whether i was friend or foe
    doing this over weeks made my jack so curious that he now comes to me all the time for his dose of bird babble
    like anything...its time and repetition and keeping calm
    good luck
    grizzzly adams tamed a bear ...i think we can tame a cockatiel!lololol

Name
    Rosiel
    Thanks

I agree with the other posters. You need to give your bird some time to adjust to you. It doesn't hate you - it's just defending itself. I don't like it when Katan tries to bite my fingers off, or when he hisses at me and scuttles away when all I want to do is be as friendly as I can to him, but you've got to look at it from his point of view.

For example, I bought Katan at a pet store. If I were him...

"I was asleep next to my sister when some weirdo came around. He looked at me for a while, and then another one came. They made some odd noises, pointed at me, and then left. The came back with a female that I'm used to seeing, because she changes my water and food, but she's got some weird net with her... and she's opening the cage!

I tried to get away, and my sister was squealing a whole lot, but she caught me. Next thing I know, I'm a dark and cold box. I can hear that one weirdo talking to me. He keeps repeating the same word over and over again. Wonder what that's supposed to mean.. anyway, he's shoved me into a new cage. It's smaller than my old cage, there are weird toys, and everything is just different! I don't know what's going on. Now the weirdo tries to touch me occasionally.. and he's sticking his hand in there right now. Not a chance in Hell! Grrrr."

If you look at it like that, which may or may not be totally accurate... you can sort of understand why it'd want to bite and hiss at you. After your bird realizes that you're not trying to eat it, it won't do that as much anymore. I've gotten Katan a few days ago, and even with the short amount of time I've been around him, he's getting friendlier. The first day I brought him home, he just sat on the cuttlebone, and hissed anytime he saw me, and if I came near, he'd lash out with his beak. He wouldn't eat, or move, or anything.

Now, he pigs out, he doesn't hiss at me when he sees me... he even comes near me occasionally, especially when he's pigging out - he'll let me stick my nose right up to the cage and watch him, it's very lovely. He'll let me keep my hand in the cage, if it's not near him. He'll just hiss at me instead of biting immediately if I drag it closer to him... you just have to give him time.

Keep in mind that birds, like people, are different. Yours could take a different amount of time to adjust to everything and trust you than someone elses bird.

I hope this helps any.

My Katan.
    Whatchyu lookin at, foo?

NCS, state coordinator Brand New Egg White Wolf's Avatar
    Name
    Ruth
    Thanks

I have to agree with the majority of the posts that time is the key word. Granted in 9 years of running my rescue, and having hundreds of birds come and go, I have only had one so called "hopeless" case, and even he came around after three long years. His name was Poseidon, and he was a heavy pied whitefaced cockatiel. He was very frightened of everything that moved. My first thought was that maybe he was deaf. I had the vet check him, and we discovered together that the problem was not his hearing but his sight. I didnt find out until I recieved 17 nasty stitches in my hands, from his attacking me meliciously [while changing his cage my hand got caught and he took advantage of my predicament] that he had been kept in a dark room for more than 1/2 of his adult life. The previous owner figured out that if he covered the cage, the bird became quiet, and because he quickly got bored [and eventually annoyed] by the squacking, he kept him covered all the time. Several years went by where the only light this bird saw was from the bottom of the cage two or three times a week when his owner decided to feed him, and so he grew accustomed to the dark quiet environment. When the young man relinquished the bird to me, he said nothing of the neglect, just that there was "something wrong with him" and that he didnt want it anymore. Once he got accustomed to the new noises and other birds in my home I slowly spent more and more time "around him". Sometimes just standing near his cage with the door open, sometimes I would talk softly to him, etc. About three years went by and I finally "gave up" on him ever becoming hand friendly. Then one day he shocked the hell out of me. I was sitting in my office, and he came out of his cage [I kept it in my office at the time] and flew over to the corner of my desk, the closest he had come [since Id had him] on his own. He proceded to walk across my fax machine, and up my right arm. For a moment I froze and them began to cry tears of joy. He climbed up my arm and licked the salty tears from my cheeck, and we have been the best of friends ever since. He still has trouble seeing, but there is no longer a trust barrier between us. TIME, no matter how much, is never too long. Ruth