Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's safe to use if you own a bird?!?!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JessicaAnn R. Compher
    Thanks

What's safe to use if you own a bird?!?!

Everywhere I turn I find what isn't safe and what will harm or kill my bird. I'm daily removing hazardous or dangerous things from my home. I've searched the web, called vets, and now I'm asking you what IS safe to use if you own birds?

Are there any toy's that a tiel can have when your not supervising them that wont catch a body part or poison them, or be ingested by them?

Are any bedding materials safe for the bottom of a bird cage?

Is there a nesting item that wont hurt a bird?

What can I clean with that will kill bacteria and germs and not our bird?

Is there anything that is safe to use to make your house smell nice?

Thanks for letting me know that glass cookware is safe as long as food cooked in it is not allowed to burn.

Very frustrated
    Jess'

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: What's safe to use if you own a bird?!?!

first off, let me commend you on your dedication to this process. it can be very hard to know what is best for your birds (and us, since the toxins that affect them also give us cancer eventually). but think of them as doing you a favor, since all this crap the companies manufacture isn;t good for you anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyssweetheart
    toy's
    there is nop such thing as a safe toy for all birds, but as you get to know your bird, you will know what is safe for THEM. you must supervise your bird(s) with new toys, and periodically check the toys for wear & tear. i have a section on toys on my website: http://www.*************.com/info.html (there is also info on toxins, safe products, etc)

Are any bedding materials safe for the bottom of a bird cage?'
    i don't recommend "bedding"- the answer to that question is also on the info page, under "how should i equip the cage?" it breeds bateria, encourages broodiness, and doen't allow you to readily see droppings- a must for monitoring health.

Is there a nesting item that wont hurt a bird?'
    i don't recommend "nesting items"- but perhaps you mean huts & such? i so use huts for some of my birds, but i check them for fraying & wear every week. they are an item that falls down easily, too darn it! some birds are voracious chewers of fabric, and those birds may not do well with a hut. others are just fine.

What can I clean with that will kill bacteria and germs and not our bird?'
    vinegar. i use organic apple cider vinegar- unfiltered. it's actually good for the birds, you don't have to wait for it to dry, and kills bacteria! i dilute it 6 or 8 to 1 with water, keep in a spray bottle. i have a long handled scruuby brish to scrape off & wash poop from cages & gyms. very handy. it's only downside is it makes acrylic toys dull. wash those with soap & water instead.

Is there anything that is safe to use to make your house smell nice?'
    spices! put a pot of water on the stove & add cinnamon, cloves, vanilla beans, whatever you like. or, have the added perk of baking!

Thanks for letting me know that glass cookware is safe as long as food cooked in it is not allowed to burn.'
    so is stainless steel, copper, cast orin, enameled iron, & pyrex. there's tons of stuff that's OK. it's just the trendy gadgets that are encrusted with teflon. stick to the tried & true!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JessicaAnn R. Compher
    Thanks

Wow! SQUAWK & HOWL I enjoyed your web site you must have put a lot of time into it. It has tons of helpful information that I know I will use.

Here's a few stupid questions for you though.

How much vinager to a cup of water and will distilled white vinager work?

How do you clean with baking soda?

Can you name a few natural soaps for me?

Also can you name a few non-clorine bleach products that you might use?

I've added your website to my list of favorites.

Thank you for all the great information.
    Jess'

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

If you buy your toys from a reputable source then you needn't worry about poisoning from heavy metals and such because they will use safe materials, some places will even label their toys as being suitable for certain birds so you can be sure it's safe.

Paper or sand can be used on the bottom of bird cages, if the cage has a grate you can use carefresh, similar cat litters or wood shavings. I found paper to be a hassle but have used the others many times and found them a lot easier for daily spot cleaning and when I do a complete change.

I use a happy hut for my hahns macaw, because of their nature they like to sleep with something touching either side of them so this is ideal. As long as the bird doesn't chew it and it's checked regularly it'll pose no threat.

Most soaps and bleachs can be used on the bird cages as long as it's rinsed well and left to dry before returning your bird, for toys and such usually warm water is enough. There's a helpful article in the Information page on disinfecting here.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JessicaAnn R. Compher
    Thanks

Kalvin,
    Thank you I never thought about what is and sn't safe to use on certian materials till I read the page you encluded. I enjoyed learning the new information.

Jess'

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Well, think of the bird as forcing you to keep healthy habits? LOL! I know as far as mine go, I eat so much healthier since I tend to buy veggies and stuff for them, then I snack on them!

Here is a list of what I use, if it helps:

Are there any toy's that a tiel can have when your not supervising them that wont catch a body part or poison them, or be ingested by them?
    Generally, I avoid: chains, jingle bells, excessively long threads or "bare" pieces of cord. Keep an eye out for the "bargin bins" at pets stores, esp. when they are marked down to 1 or 2 dollar. They may be hideous, but you can disassemble them, and use the parts to make new, good toys! Also, never throw away a toy before taking off any parts which are worth keeping and re-using. If you are good with a drill, you can get all sorts of wooden shapes in the craft department at stores, and drill holes through them. Wooden threads are also a fav. with my birds. I use raffia, cotton, or a heavy coarse brown cord (can't think of the name) to string stuff. With toys, basically just check over them everyday, and if you notice anything wearing really thin, or fraying, go ahead and replace it. Oh, and a FAVORITE for my odd birds are toilet paper tubes stuffed with paper. I tie these on with a bit of raffia.

Are any bedding materials safe for the bottom of a bird cage?
    I use either printer paper, or the black and white newspaper.

Is there a nesting item that wont hurt a bird?
    As far as 'tiels, I've never used a nesting item unless they were breeding. 'Tiels in the wild nest in tree hallows- that is also why they like to chew, incidentally. Mine prefer to sleep on their rope branches, or flat platform.

What can I clean with that will kill bacteria and germs and not our bird?
    Well, I'm a bleach person, myself. As Dani said, vinegar works well too. You can also throw all the rope perches and toys and whatnot in the washing machine. I've done that many times, using baby-soap (I have horrible allergies, so I have that on hand), then just sending it though a cycle, and again without soap. that works really well for cleaning toys and stuff if you feel you have enough to warrant doing that. Many people keep sets of food cups, and throw those in the dishwasher- when you buy them, most will say "dishwasher safe" today.

Is there anything that is safe to use to make your house smell nice?
    I use dried fruit with vanilla extract on it LOL. I also like cinnamon and mint. The former I can buy, the latter I grow (warning, weed!!!!!!), and those smell great just set in the home.

Name
    dani
    Thanks

Wow! SQUAWK & HOWL I enjoyed your web site you must have put a lot of time into it. It has tons of helpful information that I know I will use.
    aw shucks! thanks! i keep that page updated every few months, so refresh your page every so often! new info arrives often!

How much vinager to a cup of water and will distilled white vinager work?
    white vinegar is totally fine, and cheaper, too. 8 parts water to 1 part vinegar is fine. i use about 6-8 parts vinegar depending on the job. extra skanky donated cages to our rescue get more...

How do you clean with baking soda?
    i use it as an abrasive in lieu of "comet". or to clean burn marks off the stovetop. or i use bon ami brand. it's also good as an odor controller: in cat litter, in the fridge or freezer. you can also brush your teeth with it...

Can you name a few natural soaps for me?
    eco-ver is an international brand. i live in california, & trader joes dish soap is all natural. (yay!) do you have TJs in washington? any brand that says "organic" on it or you get in a health food store is bound to be OK. avoid things with ingredients you cannot pronounce or do not know where it comes from. borax is all natural as well.

Also can you name a few non-clorine bleach products that you might use?
    non-chlorine bleaches are oxygen bleaches and have names like "oxy-gunk" & such. safeway has a house brand that they just call "non-chlorine bleach". i'm sure your local supermarket has some too.
    Last edited by Squawk and Howl; 12-03-2004 at 04:31 PM.

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

Yep I'm with squak and howl I'm an apple cider vinegar freak I do use the organic from trader joe's but at the grocery store the sell just the regular in big bottles for cheap.
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JessicaAnn R. Compher
    Thanks

FEATHHERJINXER-- I agree my bird is helping me eat better. It's a good thing too because I just found out I'm pregnant agin. Thank's for the info on toy's and bedding and stuff. I like the idea of making my own toys. Is there any more info on how to do this?

SQUAWK & HOWL-- Thank you for telling me more on how to use natural cleaners. I do have a Trader Joes that's a bit of a drive to get to but I'll check it out. Also Safeways is 3 blocks from my place. Then there's Walmart that's a few miles out. I live in a small town Safeways is our main store. It's basically a little town with lots of country settings. I like it.

CARRIESB -- I'm starting to see that many of us at tailfeathers swear by vinnergar. Though I don't like the smell it's cheap and I have lots of it in my landry room. I use it to get urine smell out of my youngest's clothes. She's still potty training. I works better then detergent alone. So I'm going to start using it too.

Thanks Everyone for the wonderful info.
    JessicaAnn

Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Just curious where abouts in WA are you? I'm in South Everett!
    Last edited by ksosne; 12-04-2004 at 04:06 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm a dork and can't type

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

eee Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, if you search for "homeade bird toys," or something similar, you can get a great idea of what to use by what many people are selling. I've never ordered any parts and stuff- everything I use I usually pick up at Wal-mart or I've got it at home.
    Things I don't use are chains, jingle bells, and the clips that work like this: or . I've heard too many stories of birds getting toes/beaks caught in chains, jingle bells, and beaks stck on the clips- they can pinch it so the clip goes in, then boings back into place with the beak caught. As far as the smaller birds- 'tiels, lovebirds, bugies- I've never seen problems with the pear clips although I have heard they can be dangerous for the larger birds. When you begin, be sure that there are no openings small enough for your bird to get a foot/beaks stuck in, or that openings are big enough to go through.

http://birdsnways.com/birds/isafe.htm

Here are some of the things I like to use:

They also have these awsome apple sticks in the sm. animal section, but I could not find a picture. The above you would need to drill through, but the apple sticks were already drilled. Anyway, keep an eye out. Small animal section is great.
    Oh, and so are buttons if you see some cheap ones, or happen to have some on hand.

Pick up at walmart:

Wooden spools- craft dept. Also have wooden starts (have to drill), and wooden balls that are ready to string!

many people use these, but they would need to be drilled.

Pony beads!!!

I tend to use raffia for EVERYTHING!

You can get white cotton thread in the sewing department, too. Be careful not much of this is exposed- either keep it tightly covered with toys, or leave an open fringe so toes are not caught in it.
    Lets see how long this is. Duddles, if you want to fix this and put in the attachment things, feel free, I don't know how yet

Brand New Egg
    Name
    JessicaAnn R. Compher
    Thanks

FEATHERJINXER--Where do you find the chew shapes

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

YEEHAW! Hubby is buying me a Dremel for Xmas!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

oooh a dremel! i just got new drill bits to make small holes for bird toys! yay!

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

dremels rock. :cool
    After I got mine I was dumbfounded as to why I lived so long without one.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remove Ads