where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrets?

Name
    Gemma
    Thanks

Re: Ferrets?

wow. your son sounds wonderful. I bet he will really be into animals when he grows up. Some kids are just born for it I think.
    I will have a look online and post some links for some good stores.
    <3 anyother questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Mummie to Lilly and Greeny <3
    <3 My Babies

Try our new forum- we need members and moderators on bird, domestic and reptile topics!!: Click for the forum!!!

Moulting
    Thanks

around how much are they in english money gemma?

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thanks. I had questions but I forgott them lol. I thought of em last night in bed and now there gone. oooh oooh I remember one hahaha ha how hard is it to litter box train them? ooooh another one how hard is it to train them to walk on a leash?, and how hard is it to keep them from your birds? are there any good ferret forums I could join? (forum junkie lol)
    melissajean
    yooper mom

a happy baby is a suger high baby
    COMING SOON

Name
    Gemma
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caique Crazy
    around how much are they in english money gemma?
    Well my little guy cost me 22.50- From a very good pet store. They range from 5-50 depending on who you buy from. We have an albino kit up for sale- He is 25.. but I could get a litttttle cheaper if anyone was interested.

how hard is it to litter box train them? ooooh another one how hard is it to train them to walk on a leash?, and how hard is it to keep them from your birds? are there any good ferret forums I could join? (forum junkie lol)
    They are easy to litter box train- They basically just need newspaper and it MUST be in a corner ferrets will only poop in a corner- Fazzle was litter boxed trained within 4 weeks. He has a little wee wee accident here and there- but he is very well behaved.
    They will walk on a leash as soon as you put it on them.. fazzle took to his like a duck to water.
    My birds are on a ledge/shelf about 4 ft from the ground- there is no way he can get to them.. they cant climb very well.. I suggest putting them on a ledge where he cannot knock them or even see them.
    There are a few good ferret forums.. The store we do work for has a good forum for birds and domestic animals and I moderate both forums if you were interested to join??
    It is brand new I posted the link on here but noone was interested before??
    <3 My Babies

Try our new forum- we need members and moderators on bird, domestic and reptile topics!!: Click for the forum!!!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

I didnt see the link. I did join a ferret forum called ferret city. (thanks to caique crazy for finding it and letting me know about it)
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Gemma
    Thanks

aaah sounds good
    One more thing- if you buy a female you MUST get her neutered. Female ferrets get a homeone surge at the age of 1 and it is so extreme they will die. Males howere are fine- I prefer to keep males.
    <3 My Babies

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

There's always ferrets around the country in rescue centres that need homes, you could have a settled young adult and know what it's personality's like.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thanks gemma. I knew that about femals, and I think the pet shop here allready has it done, but I am not shure. from what I read about females I think I would do better with one. I will also check into my local shelter. thanks kalvin
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a link that has lots of online ferret stores, the frist one is well know I think. http://www.petwebsite.com/pets/onlin...ies_stores.asp
    Female Grey/Pied
    ~*~Visit my Budgie Website, although I do not have my babies anymore~*~

Name
    Gemma
    Thanks

theey are not too bad I can think fo a few better ones I will post them when I find the liinks lol.. Females are lovely also but can be a little highly strung lol (arnt we all)!!!
    <3 My Babies

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol
    thanks budgieo, and thanks gemma
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

D'oh! I didn't know people were actually posting here! Sorry I was absent!

Ooookay, the thing about neutering is true -- females can die of aplastic anemia if they aren't mated during their season. However there is a hormone injection to counter this, but I imagine the price would add up... Males... They don't need to be neutered if you only have one or if you keep them separate. However, unneutered males become VERY territorial, and their fights can lead to serious injury. In the U.S., it's quite difficult to find unneutered/unspayed ferrets at all.

Females are definitely more high-strung than males ^_^ But I still believe that they are more tidy and clean. ^^ And there's nothing funnier than watching tiny Shango terrorizing the Big Boys!

Ferrets should not be housed outdoors -- they don't handle extreme temperatures well at all, especially since they have underdeveloped sweat glands and are prone to heatstroke. Walks outside are good, though -- beware that ferrets will not walk on a leash the way a dog will. They are... easily sidetracked. ^_^ Often times, you'll be taking them for a drag, not a walk. ^_^ Gumby loves walking on his leash, but Shango and Oscar become dead weights the second you put the thing on them. I use it as an opportunity to carry them to my heart's content! ^_^ But still, beware of extreme heat and fleas when going outside.

And as Sheve mentioned, biting and activity level do change according to age. There's a product called bitter apple -- basically a bitter spray you put on things you don't want ferrets to bite. It's handy in teaching a kit not to bite, but beware -- ferrets are smart. They will soon learn to sniff out the inch of your ankle that is not covered with bitter apple. ^_^

My favorite ferret supply stores (in the US, but they may ship internationally)

http://www.theferretstore.com
    http://www.ferretdepot.com

My cage is similar to this:
    http://www.ferretstore.com/mc-f450.html

(by the way, Oscar can open the doors on the Super Pet cages. ^_^)

My ferrets eat either The Ferret Store Superior Original Ferret Diet (what a long name!) or Totally Ferret. They are both excellent brands. As for kitten food -- it's not really made for a ferret's nutritional requirements. However, good kitten food is better than bad ferret food. If you have access to *good* ferret food, get that. Check out the nutrition facts/guaranteed analysis for the Ferret Store's diet -- it's a very good example of what ferret food *should* be. I like their food because it's very healthy, very cheap, and does not use "by-products." Both products I mentioned do not have artificial preservatives.

And also, I would not support Marshall Farms. They run what is essentially a ferret mill.
    http://home.comcast.net/~mustalayday/mf.htm

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thanks pho. I thought it was weird you wernt replying to a post on ferrets lol. what else can you tell me about the difrence between the sexes? what are some problems you ran into pho? what is a good sized cage for one? and what is dooking?
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Moulting
    Thanks

heh i think the credit should go to boobirds as she did direct me to the great forum

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

ok thank you boobirds
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Remove Ads