Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby budgie found/rescued - could he get along with our five-year-old budgie?

Name
    Robyn Holland
    Thanks

Baby budgie found/rescued - could he get along with our five-year-old budgie?

Hi everybody!

I have been reading the wonderful stories of all those budgies out there - it's heart-warming to know that there are people out there that treat their birds with the love and respect they deserve , and not just as ornaments stuck alone in a cage forever . I have never posted before so I had better explain my unique budgie situation.

My brother and I are adult students living at home with our parents (still!). For five years we have had Biggles, a beautiful and gentle blue male budgie (we got him as a baby). He talks and has free range of the house, the majority of his time being spent tending to his little jingly-bell balls that he regurigitates on (I think he treats them as mates/babies - not sure). Anyway, two weeks ago a neighbour knocked on our door and said there was a little blue baby budgie on the ground across the road. My Mum went over and picked it up very easily and we put him in a spare cage. We put up signs in all the places we could think of but have not been able to find its family After about a week we introduced Biggles to the budgie (while it was still in it's cage of course) and Biggles said clear as a bell, "Hello Bikki"!

So we have been calling it Bikki, as I thought it was cute that Biggles named him/her (still not sure of the sex as the cere is still very pale and it is just a baby). We have kept Bikki seperate from Biggles for two weeks and have wormed him. He looks very healthy, constantly begging to get out of the cage and eating well. We have been letting him out seperately in a bedroom and he has been practicing his flying and landing. He can sit on your shoulder and hop on a finger when pressed gently on his tummy.

I guess our main dilema is this: if Bikki's family can't be found, we would like to keep him and let him play with Biggles. The only problem is that Biggles seems to be afraid of Bikki when he gets too close. Today we finally put them on the floor together in the same room and Bikki tried to gently touch Biggles, but Biggles got scared and flew away, making his upset yelling noise. Bikki tried to follow him like a little lamb! Biggles got really exhausted from being chased and so we had to put Bikki back in his cage. Maybe Biggles is scared because he hasn't been around other budgies for five years and he isn't used to seeing an eager baby that wants a cuddle. When in his cage Bikki calls out to Biggles and gets excited when he hears Biggles talking.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do next - I don't want old-man Biggles to die of a heart-attack from being chased by the little whipper-snapper, but I can't bear to keep Bikki locked in his cage and see him pace up and down begging to be let out! Will they ever be able to get along, or is Biggles too set in his ways to accept a budgie-buddy???

Budgie fan.

~Mou ichido Rukuen ni aimashou~ Egg's Cracking... Yashika's Avatar
    Name
    Yashika
    Thanks

Re: Baby budgie found/rescued - could he get along with our five-year-old budgie?

Perhaps it might be an idea to let Biggles approach Bikki, rather than the other way around. Let Biggles come out of his cage first and either take him to Bikki's cage or see if he'll go there himself. This way, Biggles is in control, as it were, and Bikki can't chase him from his cage

That's just what I'd do, but I could be entirely wrong, as I only have one budgie. Though it is entirely feasable that Biggles is too 'humanised' to bond closely with another budgie. *shrug* Hope I was of some help.

Fan of American budgies Brand New Egg Tanni's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Baby budgie found/rescued - could he get along with our five-year-old budgie?

Quote Originally Posted by budgie_fan
    Maybe Biggles is scared because he hasn't been around other budgies for five years and he isn't used to seeing an eager baby that wants a cuddle. When in his cage Bikki calls out to Biggles and gets excited when he hears Biggles talking.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do next - I don't want old-man Biggles to die of a heart-attack from being chased by the little whipper-snapper, but I can't bear to keep Bikki locked in his cage and see him pace up and down begging to be let out! Will they ever be able to get along, or is Biggles too set in his ways to accept a budgie-buddy???
    I think you did it the right way when letting them fly together, as simply putting them together in the same cage when they see each other for the first time might cause reactions like biting and fear (the "old" budgie might want to keep the chick of his patch). You are probably right when saying Biggles is scared 'cause he hasn't been around other budgies for 5 years...

I suggest to continue letting them fly together in the same room for several days, they probably will get used to each other soon. At least when Bikki is no chick anymore, there's a good chance they will get along well.
    Last edited by Tanni; 12-22-2004 at 05:24 AM.
    Greetings, Tanni

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yashika
    Perhaps it might be an idea to let Biggles approach Bikki, rather than the other way around. Let Biggles come out of his cage first and either take him to Bikki's cage or see if he'll go there himself. This way, Biggles is in control, as it were, and Bikki can't chase him from his cage
    Yeah, you could try that, too, but I wouldn't do it solely that way (man, is that correct English?). I mean, not only that way, maybe for one day or so, then letting them fly together again, if it still doesn't work, again the other way.
    Last edited by Tanni; 12-22-2004 at 05:18 AM.
    Greetings, Tanni

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Welcome, Budgie fan, Biggles and Bikki!

What you describe sounds very familiar to me. I have also seen this happen. When I get a new baby budgie, it follows the older budgie relentlessly, trying to make friends, and the older budgie runs away. In my case, it has always worked out in the end, after the two have gotten used to each other. That being said, it is possible that Biggles and Bikki will not get along. However, I have a feeling all it needs is time. It sounds as though they don't actually fight or attack each other yet. It may just be too soon for Biggles to accept being that close to another budgie. I have a feeling it will work out just fine.

DO you have pictures of your little guys? If so, please feel free to post them in our Pet Image Gallery. You have to register and login for it separately, but it's free, and you can use the same username that you use on the message board.

Hope to hear more from you.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

We had this problem somewhat when we brought our new budgie home. Our first bird was only 8 months old at the time so still somewhat a baby, however he was VERY humanized and bonded to us and was no longer aware that he was a bird! So after a month of quarantine we put the 2 cages side by side and just let them get used to watching each other and talking to each other. Then we let the older bird out to make the first move....let him climb on the younger one's cage, etc. and sort of let him set his own pace. It's been 4 months and they are good friends but they are still caged separately right next to each other. Their cage doors are open most of the day and they come out and play together on the top a lot. I would just give it some time and let the older one possibly set the pace. Here's a pic of our cage setup....

Name
    Robyn Holland
    Thanks

Hello all, we've had a budgie breakthrough!!!

Bit by bit Biggles had been landing on top of Bikki's cage and showing interest as you guys suggested. Then we put Biggles in his ball play-pen and let Bikki stand next to it and watch. After a while the amount of chasing lessened, and I think Biggles has learnt that if he walks along the ground instead of flying it stops Bikki from chasing him.

So Bikki eventually climbed into the playpen and Biggles didn't seem to mind, though he did bark a little when Bikki started touching the jingle-balls but they were never aggressive or biting towards each other, just hesitantly curious. Eventually Bikki ran over to a pillow on the floor and Biggles followed him. And then, Biggles ran right up to Bikki's face and started kissing him like he does us! Bikki seemed to really like it, he just stood there with a happy look on his face . It was sooo cute! But the moment was ruined when a lorikeet outside put out an unrelated warning call and scared both budgies away. Biggles flew into the computer room and Bikki flew into the bathroom and landed in the sink (thank goodness it was empty!)

Well Bikki is back in his cage after that to have a little nap. I am just so excited that they made contact! I will put pictures of our little guys in the gallery as soon as I can upload them from the camera.
    Cheers!
    Budgie_fan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by budgie_fan
    Hello all, we've had a budgie breakthrough!!!
    How cool is that!

A good example that in most cases it is never too late for a fellow budgie
    Greetings, Tanni

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

That's great, Rpbyn!

I just had a thought. If Biggles gets upset over Bikki touching his toys, it may be a good idea to get new toys and remove the old ones that Biggles has territorial claim over. After all, they have been his toys for a long time, and he may object to an intruder. If you put in new toys, technically, they belond to nobudgie, and this may cause less fighting.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures.
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

This is a really neat experience to read about. I know I am really going to look forward to hearing the adventures of Bikki and Biggles. This is just so cute and precious. I have seven budgies and my older budgies (4 years old) didn't really appreciate the arrival of our new babies a couple weeks ago (8 weeks old). The new budgies wanted to love all over them and in particular the new baby boy sought out BabySamuel (4 years old) and wanted to be pals. BabySamuel kept giving me the "Make it stop, please make it stop look." Time is all that was needed because they are alright now. It's difficult at first for the older to accept the energy and excitement of a youngster. Kind of like a mother having to deal with the energy and excitement of their child, it can be exhausting at times.

Welcome to TailFeathers BudgieFan. This is an awesome online community for bird lovers and their feathered friends. It's a melting pot of stories and experiences. A real treasure chest online.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

Hi Robyn,

Any news about the progress of Biggles and Bikki? Very interested to read about your experience as well as what happened when other budgies were introduced.

We will be getting a baby budgie as a companion for our 3-year old Sweetie in a few weeks. He has been without a buddy since mid-March (long story). So - we will be going through the same thing when the new budgie comes out of quarentine.

Maggie

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

Great story to read about! ^__^ Now I understand better what was happening today. I brought Snowdrop to see my boyfriend's younger sister's 2-year-old budgie, and Snowdrop was enamored with Bluebelle, and poor Bluebelle was scared and kept flying away.

Name
    Robyn Holland
    Thanks

Thanks for the interest in my story everybody! Sorry we have been so busy with new years and christmas etc. Well Bikki and Biggles have been getting used to each other more and more, so much so that Biggles apparently fed Bikki this morning by regurgitating in Bikki's mouth (so my Mum tells me, I missed it as I wasn't there). I hope that's normal! Has this happened with anyone else's budgies? They still fly around the house together and to the point where Biggles calls out for Bikki if he's NOT being followed (I Think he secretly likes it!).
    Budgie_fan

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Biggles feeding your new budgie is normal and a very good sign, it means they've bonded. One of my budgies always calls after the other when he flies somewhere too, he acts like he doesn't have wings sometimes. Are you planning on putting the budgies in a cage together?

Name
    Robyn Holland
    Thanks

Hi everyone, I have put pics of Biggles and Bikki in the pet gallery (they are seperate pictures as I find it impossible to get them to keep still when standing near each other!).
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/g...61&mode=search
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/g...00&mode=search
    Hopefully I will get better pics soon! So far these guys are sleeping in seperate cages still, I think Biggles is still getting used to Bikki, in that he still prefers to talk to his jingle balls more than Bikki most of the time!
    Budgie_fan

Remove Ads