Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

green cheek conures

ok. I cant seem to get those baby gcc outta my head. so I am thinking someday soon I would like one is there much of a diffrence in there care or temperment from tiels? I know about them, but I didnt have anything to compare them to before lol since I has never been around birds before. so I am wondering how do they compare? thanks guys
    melissajean
    yooper mom

a happy baby is a suger high baby
    COMING SOON

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Re: green cheek conures

From my experience, they are different. GCCs are waaaay more active and are bossier. As for care, they eat the same things, and they need foot toys. They require a little bit more attention than a tiel--I say require because a tiel deserves all the attention it gets, and I'm sure you know!

Bartok has been to the emergency room twice now, even with two doting parents. They are so brave, you wouldn't even imagine. Now,I know loads of people have GCCs that HAVEN'T been to the ER--I freak out easily sometimes! Just make sure you can look after a roaring bundle of energy, and you should be fine, since you have experience with birds now.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

how much more active are they? can you give me an example of bossy? becuse beaker can be a little snot to. thanks
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Quite a bit. Sophie was always into what I was doing, but Bartok is REALLY into what I'm doing, to the point of falling in it and trying to shove my fingers away. And bossiness--they get more territorial, and are nippy. This can be curbed if you set rules for them from when they are young.

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

ok. anything else? beaker will chase my fingers off the keybord while I am typing. little brat lol
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Bartok loves water so much he jumps into toilets and fishtanks...This is one of the reasons he went to the ER once. They are such brave little birds, they get themselves into all sorts of trouble. The main thing I would be concerned with is nippiness. When are you thinking of getting one, or are you just learning righ tnow?

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

just leaning, again lol.
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

lol, at least you've narrowed it down a bit this time.

GCCs are wonderful birds, and since you have experience with a cockatiel, it would make a wonderful addition--if you think you can take the energy levels! I'm sure you have your hands full with Beaker and your son at the moment though, but yay for educating yourself for the future!

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

my mom and my sis are over all the time, so I actually have a bit of time on my hands lol. I feel kinda like I am betraing beaker though. lol did your tiel welcome bartok ok?
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I have the same problem but when i move out i will be the girl with every bird breed ever domsticated

Sam the tiel & Sky the budgie

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

*grin*

GCC are very interesting little birds. My 10 year old wanted a "parrot-like" bird, so after tons of research, she settled on a GCC. We're just waiting for her baby to be weaned so it can come home-probably some time toward the end of January.

From what I've learned, they are much more active than 'tiels, much more destructive, and very mischievious. When we visited the babies at the breeder's to select one, the breeder warned us that they get into everything! She said that if we thought we were bird-proofed now, we'd be surprised after this little one came home. She had a "bird shirt" that she only wore with her conures-and it had holes chewed in it! My 'tiels and budgies have never put holes in any of my clothes..

Also, the GCC needs a cage about double the size that a 'tiel needs-apparently they are that much more active.

I don't have much in the way of practical info other than that-I'll let you know what else we learn after we bring our baby home.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeapolitanSixth
    From my experience, they are different. GCCs are waaaay more active and are bossier.
    i echo that. my tiel has *ahem* overly healthy self-esteem too, but my GCC is a cute little hellion! my tiel & my GCC both love me & want my approval & adoration. but if i discipline the GCC (a stern look, word, or a time out), monkey mcbean always feels like she has to have "the last word" whether that's a squawk, a nip, or staring me down. she is not for the timid.

they are adorable, but easily "spoiled". what i mean by that is GCCs need militant consistency in their rules, or they will walk all over you. tiels are way more mellow. muttonchop will def. tell me what she wants of me & if she is displeased, but it's in a much easier package to handle.

As for care, they eat the same things, and they need foot toys.
    i would add that my GCC loves foods that she can eat with her feet (sometimes pieces that are bigger than her little head! ), and my tiel needs smaller pieces for the most part (she does try & do a conure imitation by eating with her fet, but tiels can't do it for as long or as gracefully as other parrots).

i also have adapted playgyms for the birds- my tiel has a ladder to each level of her gym and tiel specific toys on hers (hemp rope tassels, bird kabobs, a parrot pinata & other "nibbleables".

my GCC has a crazy tree with LOTS of branches in all dorections with things to swing upside down from, climb like an olympic gymnast, and manipulate. she likes to take rings off the branches (like vine wreaths, cardboard tubes, etc). muttonchop isn't interested in that at all. bean-bean will be all over her gym, hundreds of times a day, while mutty likes to sit in one place for a while, move to a new toy, nibble, climb down slowly...

the energy is totally different.

Bartok has been to the emergency room twice now, even with two doting parents. They are so brave, you wouldn't even imagine. Now,I know loads of people have GCCs that HAVEN'T been to the ER--I freak out easily sometimes! Just make sure you can look after a roaring bundle of energy, and you should be fine, since you have experience with birds now.
    wow! what happened? how scary!

yes, they are soooo brave. much more so than they should be. they are like crazy teenagers with no sense of mortality & think they know everything...

i love mine. she is awesome! did you see the bean bean video i posted up last week? it gives you some idea of what a mellow mood for a GCC is- frantic & moving constantly! LOL

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thanks guys no I wasnt able to see the videos it said it could not be displayed. thats what I love about gcc, there acrobatics. I also like that they eat with there feet
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

my mom and my sis are over all the time, so I actually have a bit of time on my hands lol. I feel kinda like I am betraing beaker though. lol did your tiel welcome bartok ok?
    Sophie didn't mind the addition of Bartok too much, because I made sure to keep the same routines with her. That's the key with adding birds---routine. All my birds have a special "mommy and me" activity they do with me, so they all feel special. They're like little spoiled kids that way!

Bartok on the other hand is always like, "Hi! Hi! HIII!!! Nice to meet you!! Can I groom you? Whatcha eatin'?? Let me play with your toys!!!!" with everyone, so I have to be careful that he doesn't get attacked by anyone else just because they're annoyed. None of my birds are friends with Bartok because he's so forward, but they tolerate him--with the exception of Winston.

I felt like I was betraying Sophie too when I got Bartok, but as long as you can keep up your routines and slowly introduce them after the quarantine period, you should be ok.

i would add that my GCC loves foods that she can eat with her feet (sometimes pieces that are bigger than her little head! ), and my tiel needs smaller pieces for the most part (she does try & do a conure imitation by eating with her fet, but tiels can't do it for as long or as gracefully as other parrots).
    Yes! I can give Bartok an entire baby carrot and he'll tear it up into pieces he can hold with his feet. Even if the pieces are too small, he will still try to hold them with his feet. I find that Winston the pionus and Bartok are the two most adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. They seem to try anything once.

wow! what happened? how scary!
    I feel like such an idiot because these things have happened, but I will tell you guys anyhow...

First time, Bartok had gotten his foot bitten by a rat. A friend was desperate for someone to look after her rats for a couple days, so my roommate and I reluctantly agreed--we know the reputation of rats around birds. Everything went well until the last day, when Bartok was like, "What's this?? I must go inspect!!!" He kept finding ways to go see them. My fiance and I were both looking after him, and he STILL managed to run to the top of their cage to peer down. I was in the kitchen, and I saw my fiance lunge at something while screaming, "BARTOK, NO!!!" By the time I realized what was happening, he was screaming, and his foot looked AWFUL. I still feel like it was my fault; we shouldn't have even let him in the same room. GCCs are very determined little birds though, and their curiousity seems to motivate most of their actions.

The second time happened a couple weeks ago, actually. Bartok wanted a bath, so I went to the bathroom to give him one. I usually close the toilet lid so he doesn't jump in, but someone else had used it previously and didn't close the lid. Well, Bartok took this opportunity to jump in, not realizing how deep the water was. He must've taken a huge breath of water because he could hardly keep himself upright--and this was with me pulling him out instantly. It was just that he had struggled so much. He was fine, but it was still scary!!!

He tries to jump into the fishtank too, so I make sure not to have him around when I go feed the fish.

yes, they are soooo brave. much more so than they should be. they are like crazy teenagers with no sense of mortality & think they know everything...
    Exactly!!! Their size proves to be a disadvantage to us too--makes them harder to keep track of sometimes, even with the most watchful eye.

But I love them. Bartok is so full of life and energy, it's hard not to be as deliriously happy with life when you've got one around.

One other thing....consistency with discipline is VERY important, like Dani said. So make sure you do a lot of research on the topic so you know what to do!

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

ok. I will do tons of research. you guys are my main source. thanks for the info guys
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    dani
    Thanks

Bartok on the other hand is always like, "Hi! Hi! HIII!!! Nice to meet you!! Can I groom you? Whatcha eatin'?? Let me play with your toys!!!!" with everyone, so I have to be careful that he doesn't get attacked by anyone else just because they're annoyed. None of my birds are friends with Bartok because he's so forward, but they tolerate him
    yup, same at my house. my birds are really weirded out by bean bean- she wants to be pals, but she is way too forward and they cringe when she comes at them. muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!

that said, things are civil.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol wonderfull menteal image, danis birds making weirded out faces lol
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!
    BWAHAHAH! Omg! I just have this mental image and I'm laughing my butt off! HAHAH!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

i'll try & get a video of mutty's godzilla face. it's hilarious. she is trying so hard to be evil, but all it does is make me laugh!

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squawk and Howl
    muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!

that said, things are civil.
    I've seen Boogie do that tons! That is SO funny! He really dislikes my one friend and he always does that before she even gets her hand within 3 feet of him... He really hates her actually. She's too forward for him..... But I have to agree with the forwardness of GC's. Whenever I take Boogie to the petstore for a visit and show him the other birds he always is rearing to go thru the glass and play with the other bird, no matter the size. The other birds don't like it tho and one time, well, lets just say if there wasn't glass between them at the time, Boogie wouldnt have a head anymore. The bird just lunged at Boogie with beak wide open and slammed into the glass, he was ******!

I have to also agree on the energy level and the fact that they MUST be into EVERYTHING! You may think you know what we mean by everything but trust me, it's everything. I could tap my finger on the rug and Boogie would come running over cause he thinks I've found something that he hasn't found yet, although that never happens. He's always finding something. Like, I'll have JUST vacuumed and the I set Boogie on the floor to run around and play and instantly he's found something to crunch in his beak...... And I can't see anything! That happens a lot actually. I'm have just swept, or cleaned, or something, and he'll find something to try to eat or play with.... I don't get it. (and I'm not a bad cleaner either, I do a fine job thank you. I like to take my time so I know it was done properly )

Now, Boogie's never actually tried to jump in the toilet (the lids always down anyhow) but I've seen him eye it pretty good in those seconds between going and getting up, flushing, and then putting the lid down... He worries me sometimes!

BUT! He HAS tried (and was 1/2 successful) to jump in the bathtub, and yes, it was full of water at the time. And people. Luckily he was caught 1/2way thru his flight and only got his feet and belly wet, otherwise it would have been a bad situation! But he doesn't try really to get in if I've given him a bath first, it seems to get the urge out of him to be in water... He LOVES water!

And just my last note on a totally different topic. Am I EVER glad that I didn't get a sun conure! My gosh do they have some vocal cords on them! Me and Ricky saw one at petland the other day and I'm sure that he wasn't at full capasity yet and my head hurt! He would get us kicked out of our apartment for sure! Boogie is MUCH quieter thank god!
    From the crazy mind of Candace....

RIP Boogie Jan 8/04 ~ Sept 3/06~~~~~~~RIP Eater

You guys will never be forgotten, see you at Rainbow bridge.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol. I also live in an apartment. and beaker also finds crunchys on the floor. but I know its cheerios, cause my son eats them in the living room. there is no way we could keep them off the floor all day lol.
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

haha, thats funny! Ya, we have no idea usually what he's found cause we mainly eat in the kitchen.... Or try to! But he always has something, always. He's started this habit tho of picking off little bits of material off the couch and stuff. Like little fuzzies and such. And I can't tell if he just plays with them or eats them but it looks like he actually eats them at least sometimes.... Do you think that is bad for him? I would think it would be (we don't spray anything tho that he could get off the couches to make him sick) but I can't get him to stop. I've tried everything I can think of. And he does it the second you set him down too. and then he shoves it down his throat to save for later if you try and get it back (he does that all the time). So I pick him up and try to grab it outta his little itty bitty beak and he shoves it down his throat and then just lets me try and get nothing out of his mouth.... Then a minute later I see him playing with the thing again that I didn't want him to have! little bugger!
    From the crazy mind of Candace....

RIP Boogie Jan 8/04 ~ Sept 3/06~~~~~~~RIP Eater

You guys will never be forgotten, see you at Rainbow bridge.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol that is to cute. beaker also ets couch fuzzys lol.
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

M. D. Vaden of Oregon Brand New Egg mdvaden's Avatar
    Name
    Mario Vaden
    Thanks

We have one. It is "way-cool" - "the bom"

It is a bit bossy. But it is one of the most affectionate birds. They are very cute.

It likes to lay back in a hand like an easy chair. It will crawl around in our son's shirt while he cleans and vacuums.

With no companion, it will need a teeny bit more attention than a tiel that has no companion bird.

Conures hop rather than walk much of the time.

They are climbing maniacs. Basically, a conure is the playfulness of a blue and gold macaw, with the affection of a tiel, with the climbing skill and activity of an African grey. So it's like 3 kinds of birds stuffed into a smaller package.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

ok thanks
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON