Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: green cheek conures

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: green cheek conures

Quote Originally Posted by NeapolitanSixth
    Bartok on the other hand is always like, "Hi! Hi! HIII!!! Nice to meet you!! Can I groom you? Whatcha eatin'?? Let me play with your toys!!!!" with everyone, so I have to be careful that he doesn't get attacked by anyone else just because they're annoyed. None of my birds are friends with Bartok because he's so forward, but they tolerate him
    yup, same at my house. my birds are really weirded out by bean bean- she wants to be pals, but she is way too forward and they cringe when she comes at them. muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!

that said, things are civil.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol wonderfull menteal image, danis birds making weirded out faces lol
    melissajean
    yooper mom

a happy baby is a suger high baby
    COMING SOON

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!
    BWAHAHAH! Omg! I just have this mental image and I'm laughing my butt off! HAHAH!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

i'll try & get a video of mutty's godzilla face. it's hilarious. she is trying so hard to be evil, but all it does is make me laugh!

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squawk and Howl
    muttonchop makes the "godzilla face" at her now- beak wide open, neck craned, hiss!!!!

that said, things are civil.
    I've seen Boogie do that tons! That is SO funny! He really dislikes my one friend and he always does that before she even gets her hand within 3 feet of him... He really hates her actually. She's too forward for him..... But I have to agree with the forwardness of GC's. Whenever I take Boogie to the petstore for a visit and show him the other birds he always is rearing to go thru the glass and play with the other bird, no matter the size. The other birds don't like it tho and one time, well, lets just say if there wasn't glass between them at the time, Boogie wouldnt have a head anymore. The bird just lunged at Boogie with beak wide open and slammed into the glass, he was ******!

I have to also agree on the energy level and the fact that they MUST be into EVERYTHING! You may think you know what we mean by everything but trust me, it's everything. I could tap my finger on the rug and Boogie would come running over cause he thinks I've found something that he hasn't found yet, although that never happens. He's always finding something. Like, I'll have JUST vacuumed and the I set Boogie on the floor to run around and play and instantly he's found something to crunch in his beak...... And I can't see anything! That happens a lot actually. I'm have just swept, or cleaned, or something, and he'll find something to try to eat or play with.... I don't get it. (and I'm not a bad cleaner either, I do a fine job thank you. I like to take my time so I know it was done properly )

Now, Boogie's never actually tried to jump in the toilet (the lids always down anyhow) but I've seen him eye it pretty good in those seconds between going and getting up, flushing, and then putting the lid down... He worries me sometimes!

BUT! He HAS tried (and was 1/2 successful) to jump in the bathtub, and yes, it was full of water at the time. And people. Luckily he was caught 1/2way thru his flight and only got his feet and belly wet, otherwise it would have been a bad situation! But he doesn't try really to get in if I've given him a bath first, it seems to get the urge out of him to be in water... He LOVES water!

And just my last note on a totally different topic. Am I EVER glad that I didn't get a sun conure! My gosh do they have some vocal cords on them! Me and Ricky saw one at petland the other day and I'm sure that he wasn't at full capasity yet and my head hurt! He would get us kicked out of our apartment for sure! Boogie is MUCH quieter thank god!
    From the crazy mind of Candace....

RIP Boogie Jan 8/04 ~ Sept 3/06~~~~~~~RIP Eater

You guys will never be forgotten, see you at Rainbow bridge.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol. I also live in an apartment. and beaker also finds crunchys on the floor. but I know its cheerios, cause my son eats them in the living room. there is no way we could keep them off the floor all day lol.
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    Candace
    Thanks

haha, thats funny! Ya, we have no idea usually what he's found cause we mainly eat in the kitchen.... Or try to! But he always has something, always. He's started this habit tho of picking off little bits of material off the couch and stuff. Like little fuzzies and such. And I can't tell if he just plays with them or eats them but it looks like he actually eats them at least sometimes.... Do you think that is bad for him? I would think it would be (we don't spray anything tho that he could get off the couches to make him sick) but I can't get him to stop. I've tried everything I can think of. And he does it the second you set him down too. and then he shoves it down his throat to save for later if you try and get it back (he does that all the time). So I pick him up and try to grab it outta his little itty bitty beak and he shoves it down his throat and then just lets me try and get nothing out of his mouth.... Then a minute later I see him playing with the thing again that I didn't want him to have! little bugger!
    From the crazy mind of Candace....

RIP Boogie Jan 8/04 ~ Sept 3/06~~~~~~~RIP Eater

You guys will never be forgotten, see you at Rainbow bridge.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

lol that is to cute. beaker also ets couch fuzzys lol.
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

M. D. Vaden of Oregon Brand New Egg mdvaden's Avatar
    Name
    Mario Vaden
    Thanks

We have one. It is "way-cool" - "the bom"

It is a bit bossy. But it is one of the most affectionate birds. They are very cute.

It likes to lay back in a hand like an easy chair. It will crawl around in our son's shirt while he cleans and vacuums.

With no companion, it will need a teeny bit more attention than a tiel that has no companion bird.

Conures hop rather than walk much of the time.

They are climbing maniacs. Basically, a conure is the playfulness of a blue and gold macaw, with the affection of a tiel, with the climbing skill and activity of an African grey. So it's like 3 kinds of birds stuffed into a smaller package.

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

ok thanks
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Egg's Cracking... Margaret Madison's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret Madison
    Thanks

Well, MelissaJean, I have tiels that eat with their feet too. I also have a green cheek conures, as well as a maroon belly (that is very much like the green cheeks).

The green cheek is a much more aggressive bird than a cockatiel. None of my pyrhhura conures get along with any of my tiels. They exist peacefully, but I don't try to mix them. They are always separate.

My green cheek is a big handful. Where I can have a few tiels on me as I type on the computer or do dishes, etc..., to have my gcc on me while I try to do any of these things is almost impossible. Bebe, my Gcc, will be chewing the wheel off my mouse, tearing up the dish rag or biting at the sudsy bubbles. She lunges for the dogs if they get too close, just an all around pistol of a bird. They are big bird personalities in a small package.

A frequent mistake gcc owners make is not making the birds "step up". Because they are so small, they are often just scooped up by their owners. This doesn't gain their cooperation or compliance with a request to "step up" and therefore helps to reinforce their bossiness. It is important that your bird understands what you expect and that he receives satisfaction when complying.

Some mornings our Bebe is not immediately handleable. She needs to come out and do this posturing thing on top of her cage to warn the much larger and more aggressive male pionus that she feels she is a force to be reckoned with. Oh, little green bird, step down and behave, but no...she wants to strut and act like she is 10 feet tall. I let her get that out of her system and then she is just fine for handling.

These are feisty little birds. They are quieter than the suns (I have two of those) and they are quieter than the nanday (I have one of those), but their personality is larger than both those species. While they can be sweet, they can also be very nippy. They are way more difficult and challenging than a cockatiel. You would do well in obtaining a few parrot behavior books - and reading them - before bringing one of these parrots home.

You'll have to let us know if you get one of these or not. They will challenge you much more than the cockatiel and they will require more of your direct attention to stay tame and handleable. They are very smart and demand more attention and need more of your companionship than a tiel, for sure.
    Visit my photo gallery of pets - http://www.mmadison.com

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thank you margaret. right now I am having a dificult time with beaker (my tiel, so I have put my dreams of a gcc on hold. he is screaming non stop unless I sit right next to his cage, being in the same room even dosent stop him. the way you described bebe is how beaker is
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Name
    dani
    Thanks

melissa- what have you done to curb the screaming? did you post in the tiel forum (forgive me, there have been a couple screaming tiel threads lately- was one yours?)

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

I havent posted any of my own, but I did post in the one. I have ignored his screaming, and rewarding his cute chirps. but then he stars screaming again. he wants me right by the cage. even being in the same room isnt enuf. I even have to cover him sometimes it gets so loud. I even got him some new toys hoping he would play with them....nope didnt work
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Madison
    My green cheek is a big handful. Where I can have a few tiels on me as I type on the computer or do dishes, etc..., to have my gcc on me while I try to do any of these things is almost impossible. Bebe, my Gcc, will be chewing the wheel off my mouse, tearing up the dish rag or biting at the sudsy bubbles.
    Ha ha ha! I hear that! Any wires or cords are game for conure chewing. The tiels like it too, but they don't seek it out like Bartok does. And he loves getting into the rags and sink when I wash the dishes as well.

A frequent mistake gcc owners make is not making the birds "step up". Because they are so small, they are often just scooped up by their owners. This doesn't gain their cooperation or compliance with a request to "step up" and therefore helps to reinforce their bossiness. It is important that your bird understands what you expect and that he receives satisfaction when complying.
    I totally agree with you there too. Having a GCC means having a lot of discipline and consistency. This goes with any bird, but you have to make extra sure that you do that with your GCC.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Remove Ads