where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Egg's Cracking... Margaret Madison's Avatar
    Name
    Margaret Madison
    Thanks

Re: green cheek conures

Well, MelissaJean, I have tiels that eat with their feet too. I also have a green cheek conures, as well as a maroon belly (that is very much like the green cheeks).

The green cheek is a much more aggressive bird than a cockatiel. None of my pyrhhura conures get along with any of my tiels. They exist peacefully, but I don't try to mix them. They are always separate.

My green cheek is a big handful. Where I can have a few tiels on me as I type on the computer or do dishes, etc..., to have my gcc on me while I try to do any of these things is almost impossible. Bebe, my Gcc, will be chewing the wheel off my mouse, tearing up the dish rag or biting at the sudsy bubbles. She lunges for the dogs if they get too close, just an all around pistol of a bird. They are big bird personalities in a small package.

A frequent mistake gcc owners make is not making the birds "step up". Because they are so small, they are often just scooped up by their owners. This doesn't gain their cooperation or compliance with a request to "step up" and therefore helps to reinforce their bossiness. It is important that your bird understands what you expect and that he receives satisfaction when complying.

Some mornings our Bebe is not immediately handleable. She needs to come out and do this posturing thing on top of her cage to warn the much larger and more aggressive male pionus that she feels she is a force to be reckoned with. Oh, little green bird, step down and behave, but no...she wants to strut and act like she is 10 feet tall. I let her get that out of her system and then she is just fine for handling.

These are feisty little birds. They are quieter than the suns (I have two of those) and they are quieter than the nanday (I have one of those), but their personality is larger than both those species. While they can be sweet, they can also be very nippy. They are way more difficult and challenging than a cockatiel. You would do well in obtaining a few parrot behavior books - and reading them - before bringing one of these parrots home.

You'll have to let us know if you get one of these or not. They will challenge you much more than the cockatiel and they will require more of your direct attention to stay tame and handleable. They are very smart and demand more attention and need more of your companionship than a tiel, for sure.
    Visit my photo gallery of pets - http://www.mmadison.com

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thank you margaret. right now I am having a dificult time with beaker (my tiel, so I have put my dreams of a gcc on hold. he is screaming non stop unless I sit right next to his cage, being in the same room even dosent stop him. the way you described bebe is how beaker is
    melissajean
    yooper mom

a happy baby is a suger high baby
    COMING SOON

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

melissa- what have you done to curb the screaming? did you post in the tiel forum (forgive me, there have been a couple screaming tiel threads lately- was one yours?)

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

I havent posted any of my own, but I did post in the one. I have ignored his screaming, and rewarding his cute chirps. but then he stars screaming again. he wants me right by the cage. even being in the same room isnt enuf. I even have to cover him sometimes it gets so loud. I even got him some new toys hoping he would play with them....nope didnt work
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Madison
    My green cheek is a big handful. Where I can have a few tiels on me as I type on the computer or do dishes, etc..., to have my gcc on me while I try to do any of these things is almost impossible. Bebe, my Gcc, will be chewing the wheel off my mouse, tearing up the dish rag or biting at the sudsy bubbles.
    Ha ha ha! I hear that! Any wires or cords are game for conure chewing. The tiels like it too, but they don't seek it out like Bartok does. And he loves getting into the rags and sink when I wash the dishes as well.

A frequent mistake gcc owners make is not making the birds "step up". Because they are so small, they are often just scooped up by their owners. This doesn't gain their cooperation or compliance with a request to "step up" and therefore helps to reinforce their bossiness. It is important that your bird understands what you expect and that he receives satisfaction when complying.
    I totally agree with you there too. Having a GCC means having a lot of discipline and consistency. This goes with any bird, but you have to make extra sure that you do that with your GCC.

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

I'm reading about these adorable GCC's and picturing ther personality of my kitten wrapped up in these adorable feathered packages.

My kitten needs to be supervised at ALL times and just NEVER seems to run out of steam. He's always climbing UP things.. down things.. getting INTO things (lately.. he finds the highest potted plant he can and gets into it .. like the one on top of my computer hutch). And... I can't do the dishes without him getting into what I'm doing either. And..let's not forget how fascinating kittens find cords of any type! He wanted to chew the cord to the heater the other day. GRRR Maybe having my kitten is practice for getting a GCC.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

ha! i was just reading the "conures & quakers" booklet i got from companion parrot quarterly. it;'s first hand accounts of people and their parrots in those species. every single person with a GCC or similar (maroon bellied) bird said, this is not a bird for the timid!

it's so funny (and frustrating) that so many people think of GCCs as "perfect starter parrots". in many ways, they are more of a handful than the larger conures or quakers. similar in termprament & energy to a caique (another dream bird of mine- i just love a challenge! )

mine is in the baby beaky nippy phase, so i think of my parrot as a puppy more than a kitten, but yes- major spunk in a tiny package...

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Are they really similar to Caiques? I'd never heard that before! Learn something new every day, and I had always thought to myself, "If a caique is supposed to be even MORE active than Bartok is, I don't want one!!"

But yeah--they do seem to be more of a handful than the other conure species. I partly blame this on their size--it's easy to underestimate their abilities.

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeapolitanSixth
    Are they really similar to Caiques? I'd never heard that before! Learn something new every day, and I had always thought to myself, "If a caique is supposed to be even MORE active than Bartok is, I don't want one!!"
    i think so- and while many people have not m,ade the direct connection- the same things are said about both: "big parrot, small body", "lots of consistent discipline is needed", "acrobatic, full of energy", etc...

i got to bird sit a caique at a bird mart last year while the breeder showed off baby greys (the caique was her personal bird). this was before i got monkey mcbean- and loki (the caique) reminds me soooo much of bean bean- very beaky, constantly getting into things (& trouble!), and affectionate.

you could totally handle a caique! (but would you want to? ) for me, the answer is an emphatic YES! i just need more room! *what can i throw away to make room for a caique, she muses*

Quote Originally Posted by NeapolitanSixth
    But yeah--they do seem to be more of a handful than the other conure species. I partly blame this on their size--it's easy to underestimate their abilities.
    very- i have to watch bean bean every minute, coby (our jenday) is predictable and easy to monitor. the other conures that i have cared for in the aratinga genus are cakewalks compared to the GCC i know & love!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

thanks you guys. this is very informative. I love it keep the stories coming
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

Uh oh. More challenging than a bigger bird? What have we gotten ourselves into?

Actually, even my spouse, who isn't much of a bird person, is fascinated by our new household member. His official name (for the moment!) is Yoyo! He's already showing a distinct talent for getting into mucho trouble-of course, he's so darned cute while he does it, that we can't help laughing (and taking pictures!) He's discovered my kid's fish tank, and has been spending large amounts of time ogling the fish inside...

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Ha ha! Bartok loves the fish in my tank too. If I put him out there, he'll chase the fish around, like he'll actually catch one! it's so cute though.

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

that IS cute! bean's latest shenanigan is taking over other birds' territory- meal perches, food, or play stands. needless to say, some birds are mellow, others think she's a major pain in the butt. i have to keep from getting a can of whoop-a** opened on her!

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

awww she sounds cute lol. I love her pic on your sig dani, she looks so cute and inicent, like who me *flutters hey eye lashes* lol
    melissajean
    yooper mom

COMING SOON

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Bwahaha! Watching the fishies in the tank! Yep! SOunds like a kitten to me! (thinks like Dani).. hmm.. what can I get rid of to make room for a GCC cage....

LOL!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!