Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My cockatiel just layed an egg

I have a female cockatiel, she's about 8 years old. I have had her for about two years and this is the first time she has laid an egg. It is unfertilized, as she is alone.

I just have a few questions if you don't mind:

How long is the gestation period? Just wondering if I can figure out her behaviour at that time.

She has laid one egg. Will she lay more?

She has her egg in the corner of her cage. It is awkward for her to sit on it without having her bum in the air. Should I put it in the middle of the cage where it is easier for her to sit on it?

I think that's it for now.
    Thank you so much
    stephanie
    Last edited by pbear8; 01-05-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: My cockatiel just layed an egg

HI Stephanie, Welcome to Tailfeathers!

Hopefully I can answer your questions! :-) Let's see
    How long is the gestation period?
    Gestation would refer to fertilized eggs.. and since these are not.. I'm guessing you mean.. how long between each egg? Generally.. a cockatiel will lay an egg every other day until she completes a clutch of 4 to 6 eggs.

Just wondering if I can figure out her behaviour at that time.
    She may do things like shred paper, find a dark place in the cage to lay, sit on the egg she did lay, soak her bum in a water dish for periods of time to moisten the vent for the next egg coming. She might also be protective of her egg, so if she seems hissy and moody, that's normal. She may also seem indifferent and not care about her egg.. which is also not unheard of in single-mom cockatiels of unfertilized eggs.

She has laid one egg. Will she lay more?
    I have heard of hens (without a mate) laying only one egg, however, nature dictates that most will try to lay a clutch of somewhat normal size. If its her first, she may lay a small one, say three.

She has her egg in the corner of her cage. It is awkward for her to sit on it without having her bum in the air. Should I put it in the middle of the cage where it is easier for her to sit on it?
    I would say no. She can move her eggs herself actually, but this is the place that she chose to lay. If you try to move that egg, she may just move it back. The idea is to discourage her, so the quicker she looses interest, the better. If its uncomfortable, she may get discouraged sooner.

Here are some tips to help her during this time. Feed her higher calcium foods... she needs this now while she's laying and it will keep her from becoming egg bound. (Make sure she has access to a mineral block, cuttle bone and feed her hardboiled egg with the cooked eggshell ground up in it).

Limit her daylight hours to ten hours a day right now. You can cover her cage much earlier than normal (leave the bottom third uncovered to allow in some light if she's not used to being covered, and leave on a nightlight). This will simulate winter hours to her and help get her out of breeding mode.

If she's used to being handled, limit the amount of petting she gets, especially around the head and back. This stimulates the hormones.

Remove anything in the cage that she can shred up and use for nesting material. Keep the grate on the bottom of the cage to keep her away from the newspaper.

Rearrange some things in her cage often to keep it from becoming "too familiar" as a nesting ground. (particularly things near the bottom)... and make sure there's nothing she can hide in or behind to lay eggs.

And.. last but not least.. for the egg(s) she HAS laid.. don't take the away from her. Let her sit to her hearts content. She'll grow tired of them on her accord and abandon them when she's ready. You'll know when its time to take them away. To prevent her from accidentally stepping on them and (ewww) breaking one... and having a nasty rotten egg to clean up, you may want to take the egg as they're laid... boil them.. (mark them with a crayon so you know which have been boiled).. and return them to her once cool.

Hope I've been helpful! Good luck! I'm not looking forward to the hormones of my lil henny when and if she lays. !
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Wow! That's great info!! Thanks so much. Well, since I wrote, she has layed another one
    What i meant about gestation was worded incorrectly. What i meant was...how long does it take for the egg to grow inside of her before she lays it....? I'm sure there's a technical term for that, but I can't think of it at the moment.

She is currently shredding up newspaper as we speak. Guess I should remove that .

I'll re read your great post and look after things accordingly.
    Thanks again so much for your info.
    Steph

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

What i meant about gestation was worded incorrectly. What i meant was...how long does it take for the egg to grow inside of her before she lays it....?
    Man... I have no idea how long a birdy is "eggnant" before she lays. I know a cockatiel drops one every other day so I guess approx 36 hours (and then a few to push that puppy out). LOL
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie
    Man... I have no idea how long a birdy is "eggnant"
    Eggnant...<giggles>

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie
    (and then a few to push that puppy out). LOL
    Now I know where puppies come from....I'm so glad I can still learn something new every day...

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hahah! Just wait till you learn where kitties come from!
    "Somewhere out there

Birdy Bartender Brand New Egg Noodle1278's Avatar
    Name
    Jeremy
    Thanks

Lololololol
    Father to-
    A , Martini

hopes for two , Gin, and Tonic!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jackie
    Thanks

I found this thread very helpful, as my cockatiel laid her first egg 48 hours ago and her second egg this morning. Thank You!!

She may also seem indifferent and not care about her egg.. which is also not unheard of in single-mom cockatiels of unfertilized eggs.
    Just wondering if you have any advice with regards to my cockatiel "Poppy". A basic run down of her lifestyle her with me... she basically has run of the house she is not clipped and flys very well around the house, she only goes into her cage at night (by her own choice) and I cover the cage and uncover it in the mornings when she lets me know she wants out. She hasn't tried to nest at all, infact both eggs were layed from a height (only one has survived not being smashed on landing), she is chewing a little bit more than normal but not really interested in shredding paper etc, 99% of the info I found says to keep the eggs as she will continue to lay while she nests... what do I do if she isn't nesting and has no interest at all in what's going on. I only worry because I don't want her to keep laying past the usual clutch size. Will she keep trying to replace the eggs she isn't sitting on? Any advice/info would be very welcome.

Again thanks for the above information, it was very helpful.