Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pellet attempt......

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Another pellet attempt......

While I was home, on vacation, last week, I thought it would be a good time to do some pellet experiments since I could be there to watch what they were eating .... anyway, I have 3 different types of pellets I've been trying to get them to eat. Zupreem fruit, Kaytee exact original and Harrisons fine. I took out all of the seeds and left 3 dishes in the cage, each with a different type of pellet. One of my guys seemed to be tasting the Zupreem and the other tried the Harrisons.... but neither of them ate very much. Should I continue trying to convert them in this manner? I know if I mix it with seeds, they'll just pick out the seeds.
    Any thoughts??

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

Re: Another pellet attempt......

well I've come to find my birds just looney somedays he likes the zupreem and somedays he likes the harrison's and somedays he wants nothing to do with the pellets so yeah I think what your doing is good just maybe eventually figure out which ones they like the most. And I actually don't see anything wrong with mixing them either but it ends up kinda getting expensive.
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Yeah, I've tried mixing them too.... but then I can't tell which ones they're eating. Even with the Zupreem fruit pellets, I could tell Gizmo was sifting through and only eating certain colors.... so picky

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Are you also offering them fruit and vegetables? I'd give them some seed in the evening so you make sure they are getting enough to eat also.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Yeah, they've been getting a tiny bit of seed in the morning, before I leave for work. They also have a dish full of pellets to last them through the day and some sort of veggie. Brocoli or some other green.... they don't like fruit. Then later in the evening, they'll get a little more seed... I lure them out of the cage with a little dish of seeds and they'll come out, sit on the couch with me and chow down!
    ....one guy seems to like the Zupreem fruit, the other hasn't touched it yet.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

That's cute - your budgies sitting with you while they have their bedtime snack.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Yeah, it's cute as long as I'm sitting still.... if I move a muscle, they jump off the food dish, seeds are thrown everywhere and they fly back to the cage.... not so cute then.

Gotta luv'm !

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

LOL - I can relate.

I usually make sure my budgies are watching me put their treats in my hand so they see that I have some for them. Then I open the cage and take them out one at a time and perch them on my hand to eat their treats/snacks. So far, I've only had good fortune with about three or four of my males. My females are still apprehensive. :smile

As for the pellets, patience is the key with them. Pellets all day and then fresh greens or seeds in the evening very well may be the right way to go.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

we'll see !

10 birds is not enough! Hatching MaristKKG's Avatar
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

I've literally started to get sick and tired of the mess that seeds make. I'm trying to switch my guys to pellets too but the problem is, I have SIX budgies. So basically if one doesn't want to try them, none of them will!

I've started by mixing half seed and half pellet, which of course results in a bunch of seed hulls and pellets left over. I don't want to waste my money like this. I also don't want to vacuum twice a day! Argh!

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

I'd give seeds for 30 min morning and night, and pellets the rest of the time. If theya re tame, you eat the pellets- make a big deal out of how good they are- and see if that helps some. Once one bird is eating them, the other should follow fairly quickly.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I have a question. I've been giving Sunny seeds in the morning and evening, and he only gets pellets and veggies (still hasn't touched one veggie yet ) the rest of the time. I see him eating the pellets when seeds aren't available, so how do I know when to cut the seeds out? As long as seeds are offered, he pigs out on them, so I've been afraid to cut them out, but I don't think he'll ever choose pellets over seeds, so when should I use the seeds only as treats?
    Karen

Sunny :yellowbud

Oliver the green Linnie (with no cute animation to go along with his name )

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

That's something I'd like to know too... I'm having the same issues ! They always choose seeds over pellets and if they know they're going to get seeds at night, I think they hold off from eating the pellets during the day... 'cause when they finally get their seeds, it's like they haven't eaten in weeks... they don't come up for air!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Our budgies must be related. He knows he'll be getting them at some point, so he waits, and then when I put the seeds in, I only see his little butt for the next 20 minutes
    Karen

Sunny :yellowbud

Oliver the green Linnie (with no cute animation to go along with his name )

Name
    Mom or Mrs. C
    Thanks

I'm laughing after reading the post of the one who doesn't want to vacuum twice a day. We have seven budgies in our home and we are vacuuming *constantly.* It's just something that comes with owning budgies. Even as I sit here typing this post I can hear them dragging around their pellet dish in the bottom of the cage. We have two dishes in their at feeding time because we have seven. Those budgies that eat from the dish in the bottom of the cage have a field day with dragging it all over the place and it makes a BIG mess. But they like to spill it over and then pick the pellets off the bottom of the cage because they are ground-feeders anyway.

Budgies are so cute and adorable but they are sooo messy!