Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Awww Geez...Not in the food bowl!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Re: Awww Geez...Not in the food bowl!

Wow! That's awesome. I hope all 4 babies live. Poor Gizzy though, too bad not even 1 of her's were fertile...I'm just curious, how are the birds set up? I might be worng but do you have 2 cages? Like, is it Gizzy, Baby, Little Timothy and Gizzy's buddy all in one and the rest in the other, or how is it all working???
    Thanks
    Ben
    BEN'S BUDGIES

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

I'm going to take a picture this afternoon of the set-up and post it. Of course, for a couple days Gizzy was in a separate cage waaaayyy upstairs, so that would be hard to get in the shot. And none of the birds are technically 'in' any cage. They have one main cage that their food is in and that they sleep in at night (the Big cage), but they are free to roam all day, and spend most of the day in, on and around that, the gym, the little cage, the wreaths, and the hanging toys. Some fly across the room to the thing that used to be a ceiling fan but is now not operational and is a perch with two blades. Some run across my computer desk and explore around my shelf on my monitor top. They also like running around like fools chasing each other on the carpet.

Where do they live? The livingroom. But, like I said, I'll take a picture this afternoon and upload it.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

So... when can we hope for babies? :::looks expectantly at calender::: I need to know when to start pacing here!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie
    So... when can we hope for babies? :::looks expectantly at calender::: I need to know when to start pacing here!
    <Giggles> Ok, it could be as early as the 25th, or as late as the end of the month for the first one to hatch. You see, it depends on how many days she will take within the range, and when she started sitting on them 'hard' and what day I needed to start counting then...and...and...<starts pacing herself>

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Well i just read this post from begining to end......VERY Funny, Jennifer you have such a great way of telling this story, i never thought i'd be one for getting hooked on a 'soap opera' but What Happens Next...i MUST know!!!! Congrats on the eggs, and i hope all goes well with the Hatching when it starts. Give my regards to 'Mum'

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Ok Ben, this one's for you. Actually, this is for anyone who is curious how one manages to fit 12 budgies into their lives...I took some pics this evening of our current set-up. It's always in a state of flux though it seems. You see, yesterday, Gizzy was in the small, black cage upstairs, trying to work off her eggie-hangover, and the white cage was the play-apartment. Today, the white cage has become the new nursery-to-be and Baby and Little Timothy have been moved out of the Big cage into it. With so little time to go until the hatching we figured it would be safest for all concerned if we separated the nesting site from the general population. Of course, it confused Mom (Baby) and Dad (Little Timothy) a bit, but they seem to be adjusting now.

Anyway, the big cage looks bare with the recent removal of the large nestbox and moderately recent removal of Gizzy's coconut but here goes...

The large lower cage on the left hand-side is the rabbit cage. The one on the right is the Big cage, the gym is on the rabbit cage on top of its base which is on top of plexiglass, and the small black cage is presently the play-apartment.

This is a closer picture of the top half of our setup. The birds are never locked into any cage except at night in the Big cage for their own safety due to occasional night frights that occurred when they were left uncovered. They are free to roam all day and use the wreaths, climbers, gym and cages as well as the ladder from the floor all day long.

This is a picture of our birds in their cage tonight after they put themselves to bed. They do this every night when the lights are lowered. Such good birdies.
    Some are hiding behind each other, and Baby and Little Timothy are in a separate cage.

This is Baby and Little Timothy's new setup. We're putting them on the other side of the room so that most of the birds don't climb all over their cage like roaches. Only a couple of the birds visit them over there. Tomorrow, or once their homing beacons start working to tell them that this is now where their nest box is, their cage door will remain open as long as we are in the room.

That's our setup...at least for this week.

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Talking Update on Gizzy

Well, it's finally happened! After a heartbreaking two days of isolation, Gizzy is off her eggies and back with the flock! Thank goodness!!!

It was so sad when we brought her back from the vet, trying to keep her from her boyfriends on my desk...they kept feeding her through the cage bars. When we tried to let her out, they would clamour in, or she would go out for a second, and then they'd race back to the cage together...usually to the big cage where her coconut used to be. Gizzy just kept jumping back in on her eggs when we brought her back to her little cage, and the boys just kept on feeding her whenever they got the chance. She just had no motivation to get out of her rut. To quote Dr. Phil..."It was just working for her on some level..."

So, even though the boys called to her incessantly for two days, and flew around downstairs trying to find her, we did our best to coax her out of her coconut whenever we could. We played with her, kept her company, kept prodding her to come out, and praising her when she did. We bribed her with millet , which worked, and kept the tv and lights on in the room when we couldn't be in there.

She eventually was staying out of her coconut even when we weren't in the room. So last night, we brought her downstairs for a visit, that ended up being a sleep-over. The boys fell all over themselves when they saw her. Pinhead practically blew a pupil when he saw her, he was pinning so much! When things calmed down, she spent a few minutes in moderate anxiety looking for her coconut, but the boys comforted her! She calmed down, and she has stayed downstairs ever since.

This was perfect timing, because we needed a cage for Baby and her nestbox. We had been out looking to buy a new one on the weekend and hadn't found one yet. We have enough cages, but this allows us to leave a small cage out for playing in and on as well.

Gizzy's tummy has been coming down either due to her anti-inflammatories or because she's been off her eggs now, or both. All of this is very good news. She has snapped at a couple birds since she has been back in the cage, but she wasn't too aggressive. She was more like her usual cranky self...lol. While she was upstairs with us though, she was a very gentle bird. I think some birds do better with groups than others, just like people. Baby bird was always like that. She never fit in with the crowd and was always in fights. The good news is, once she got past a certain age, she seemed to calm down and now she gets along with the crowd much better. Hopefully it's a maturity thing.

Anyway, here's a picture of Gizzy, and our lovely purple Zipper who always turns out annoyingly blue in pictures. This was from today, now that Gizzy's back with the crowd.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Your stories always make me wish I had more budgies. I'm glad to hear Gizzy is doing better now, Zipper looks lovely.

Spencer & Sunny

Breeder to be Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robby
    Thanks

Wow now that is an excellent set-up. Do you recommend removing the nestbox and seperating it everytime? or was this for a different reason? You have some gorgeous birds there

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Oh, I'm just learning when it comes to nesting and babies. First-time birdie grandma...eek...I'm not that old am I???

Seriously though, I figured that since our other nesting female (Gizzy) went a little nuts being protective, and since Baby also had a confrontation with the same bird that Gizzy fought with, that it might be a good idea to give Baby some space. There might be a reason both birds attacked Niji. Maybe on some level Niji is a threat. She's a great bird, but she is an English budgie, and is bigger than the others, and has a stare that seems to intimidate some of the birds.

She also seems very interested in what is going on in the nest boxes. But then, all the females seem to be. So it just seemed like a good idea all around to give her some breathing room.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Holy, that's quite the set-up. Yeah, personally I think that was a smart moving isolating the pair by themselves. Can't wait to hear the stories from when the babies actually arrive!
    Thanks
    Ben

P.S. Niji is the coolest looking bird. Where did you find her?
    BEN'S BUDGIES

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Message thread will be continued in "We've got pipping and PEEPING!!!" message thread.

See you all there....

Jenn

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Good for Gizzy

Sam the tiel & Sky the budgie

Remove Ads