where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: And GCC Makes 7

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

And GCC Makes 7

That's right-we now have 7 birds in our house.

My daughter and I picked up her green cheek conure Friday, and he's already settling into the house (and trying to take over!) A little nippiness, but blowing a little puff of air in his face or "earthquaking" our hand slightly seems to be a sufficient deterrent.

My God, what a big personality! He ran right up to our black Lab mix and walked onto her head this morning (our poor old dog was horrified!)-he's already eaten a hole in my daughter's PJs-apparently just for the heck of it when she wasn't looking.

It's odd, I remember how cautious and laid back we had to be with each of our other birds when we first brought them into our house-our house is so busy and loud they were a bit overwhelmed. Not this little guy- he's like, "okay, where's the party?!"

I was even concerned about transitioning him to the smorgesbord of foods we offer all the birds here-the breeder weans onto a mix of veggies, Zupreem, and some seed-but he dove right into the scrambled eggs (with sprouts and shells and shredded carrots-a Saturday special for the birds), and he pigged out on the birdie bread today.

I'm just wondering-if he's like this after 2 days, what will he be like in a few months or a year???????

Name
    melissa jean
    Thanks

Re: And GCC Makes 7

lol he sounds cute. do you have a name? you gotta post pics ( if you can)
    melissajean
    yooper mom

a happy baby is a suger high baby
    COMING SOON

Name
    Christy
    Thanks

Congrats on your new bird! I would love to see pics!
    ~Christy

"As the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike, let your heart be untroubled by judgments and let your kindness rain down on all."-Shakyamuni Buddha

My Tiels

My Budgies

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baileysperson
    That's right-we now have 7 birds in our house.
    kind of like potato chips like that, aren't they?

...he's already settling into the house (and trying to take over!)...My God, what a big personality! He ran right up to our black Lab mix and walked onto her head this morning (our poor old dog was horrified!)-he's already eaten a hole in my daughter's PJs-apparently just for the heck of it when she wasn't looking. ...Not this little guy- he's like, "okay, where's the party?!"
    oh, god i know! bean bean took all of a day in our home to decide, "well, this is ALL mine now" (queen of all she surveys). that brash fearlessness gets her into all sorts of mischief (trying to take over my foster bird's playgym, food, or cage (kenya is HELLA territorial- this is a recipe for blood & tears!), for example.)

A little nippiness, but blowing a little puff of air in his face or "earthquaking" our hand slightly seems to be a sufficient deterrent.
    geez, i WISH! bean bean responds to those like, "how DARE you defy me! here's ANOTHER nip to show you who's boss around here!"

I'm just wondering-if he's like this after 2 days, what will he be like in a few months or a year???????
    yeah... that is the big question! (i've had mine since september)

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Oh goodness! CUTE as all getout but what a handful! Congrats on your new baby! Better get that needle and thread ready to patch up chewed clothing And.. the camera so we can see pics!!!!

Congrats on your new addition!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Suzanne, congratulations. Your green cheek conure sounds abosolutely adorable! I too would love to see pictures and what you named this adorable thing!

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

Technically, little "Prince" is my daughter's bird. But, seeing as she is ten and doesn't have a job (yet)-he's my responsibility. Although she's been good about helping take care of all the birds since we got them. Jemma named him-I think it's a little bit of wishful thinking. LOL! I'd be more likely to name him "Jalepeno". I'll post pics as soon as I have a chance and find the camera cord.

We're weighing him twice daily at the moment, and talking to the breeder daily because he decided to regress slightly and start begging to be handfed at bed time. He's not losing any weight, and I don't mind giving him a squirt or two of handfeeding formula in the evening, so *shrugs* we'll see what's up with that. Let me tell you, handfeeding a GCC is significantly easier than a 3 day old starling. He just opens up and lets me feed him. If he's still begging this weekend, I'll discuss it with the vet when we go in for his new bird checkup. The breeder thinks it's just a little stress, since he is also still quarentined. He can HEAR all those other birds, he just can't go play!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

We're weighing him twice daily at the moment, and talking to the breeder daily because he decided to regress slightly and start begging to be handfed at bed time. He's not losing any weight, and I don't mind giving him a squirt or two of handfeeding formula in the evening, so *shrugs* we'll see what's up with that. Let me tell you, handfeeding a GCC is significantly easier than a 3 day old starling. He just opens up and lets me feed him. If he's still begging this weekend, I'll discuss it with the vet when we go in for his new bird checkup. The breeder thinks it's just a little stress, since he is also still quarentined. He can HEAR all those other birds, he just can't go play!
    aw! he sounds like a real cutie.

i know what you mean about hearing the birds & going nuts! i opted for a 30 day quarantine with my GCC as she got a clean bill of health & she was soooo desperate to meet all those noisy future friends!

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

*laughs*

My 'teils are going to be so horrified! Bailey still regards the parakeets (and to a certain extent, even Holly) as interlopers in HER house-she's queen of the roost, thank you very much!

Even my hubby, who isn't much of a bird person, is fascinated by the little guy. Bedtime tonight rolled around, and all of a sudden, our little guy was frantically running around trying to play with every toy in his cage-he even tossed in a little "flappies" practice on the rope perch-little claws clenched tight, crouched down with wings flapping away, manical gleam in his eye-I had to laugh! My hubby walked by, and sort of shook his head, and said, "Bedtime, and NOW he wants to play. Must be one of our kids."

Cute little bird. My daughter is reconsidering his name-he might be "Yoyo". I'll keep you guys posted on that.