Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Starling trapped in our roof!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Starling trapped in our roof!

But she's OK now!

Amazing little bird. We live in a strange old house that is split into two apts, an upstairs and downstairs. My roomate and I live in the bottom, my fiancee Jeremy in the top. Well, I was upstairs with Jeremy and walked into bathroom to find a starling flying around inside!

Here's the scene: Pretty little thing, trying desparately to get through the window and back outside. We stood there, jaws dropped, wondering how it got in there, and then went about the business of catching her in a towel. Unfortunately part of the process involved her falling in between two panes of glass in the window, between which there was a slight gap, and too narrow for me to get my hand in to pull her out. Luckily we were able to slowly adjust the window and get her out!

She was glad to get back outside, and took off like a rocket when I realised her.

Now here's the amazing thing, I know how she entered: theres a hole in the side of the house that some starlings made a nest in last summer. I assume she went down in there, possibly for prection since its been bitter cold here... and there must be hole there that leads you into the roof of floor 1 (and the bottom of floor 2)!...my roomate Micaela said she head something runnning around in the roof all morning and all day, since at least 8am that morning! She was scared it was a rat, but it was clearly our bird. She was trapped in there for hrs!

What amazes me, though, is how she got into the upstairs apartment. We figured it out. She got to the upstairs apartment by finding a hole in the ceiling of floor 1 that leads up into a piece of wall the landlords made to be one wall of the shower in Jeremy's bathroom on floor 2. (I'm not sure if that description is clear: the strange contraptions my landlord constructs are only believable to the first-person observer. Its basically two pieces of...some material I can't identify...put together to make a wall of the bathroom shower. So the little starling came up, INSIDE this 10 inch by 4 foot wall...and got out. But the wall itself was shut up, except for the fact that it was rickety and one of the panels could pull away. (It had been previously taped in place for this reason.) And you know, that bird pushed on that large panel, created a small openning, and shimmied out....

I don't know how she figured it out. Its amazing to me. Anyway, I'm glad she got out and that we were there to find and release her!

Starlings must be quite smart...
    Last edited by notredamebird; 01-27-2005 at 07:31 AM.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: Starling trapped in our roof!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! AWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Starling rescue!!!!!!! ! Glad she got out okay!!!!!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!