Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

Anyone here have an African Grey?

I have a few questions about African Greys for someone who owns one. I am trying to narrow down what bird would be best for me. I have always wanted a grey but have been to afraid to from what everyone keeps telling me, that they are hard to keep happy, have health problems and have to have human contact 24/7. I have to work durning the days and there will be no one in the house for 5 hours except my lovebird and cat. If anyone here has first hand experience, I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Re: Anyone here have an African Grey?

There's quite a few grey owners on the board now, both timneh's and congo's.

I have a timneh and work 8 hours a day weekdays, although someone is usually home she stays in her cage until I get home to let her out. Most people need to go out to work and still own a grey, as long as it gets the attention it needs while you are around they usually do ok.

What other birds have you been considering and what have you kept in the past?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

I have a Peachfaced Lovebird right now. I was debating between a Ciaque and a Grey. I have wanted a Grey for several years now. I have kept Parakeets, Teils, lovebirds as well as took care of a Macaw for about a year for a friend. I have 4 years Pet store experience which included raising and handfeeding parrotletts (I'm a horrible speller ) teils, finches, love's etc. Not that I would end up having to hand feed a grey if I got him tho, but I do have that kind of experience. Humm, I think thats all I really have. Oh, and a turkey (which hated my guts) until my father cooked him

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

just 2 budgies for me..
    but got a out of the last post (sorry if you're really sad)
    Last edited by raptorace; 02-19-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name
    Rhiannon
    Thanks

Yeah I have a Congo African Grey. He isn't really the 'cuddly' type though, as he was like 13 years old when I got him. But he's still a hoot to have around, and an awsome companion.
    I mean, I love african greys, and I had wanted one ever since I started learning about pet birds. I guess its because they are soo smart, and like a cliche among the parrot world. However, there are hundreds of types of parrots/pet birds out there, so look into it. I mean, LOTS of medium-large sized birds that would be great too. I mean, I don't have alot of personal experience with alot of the different types, but I hear good things about many types of birds: quakers, amazons, conures (haha they're loud though), pionus's, whatever. I mean do alot of research, and see what suits you. I'm sure there are lotsa people on here that have different types of birds, that could advise you as well.
    Oh, and as for the time thing, if you socialize your bird well, it should be able to spend a good portion of the day entertaining him/herself, with toys, or whatever (although they do like having the TV/Radio on, or someone in the house.) My african grey nd budgie used to (my budgie passed away tho ) get along when i wasn't there ... like 'talk' to each other hehe. **(they werent kept together though obviously, just in the same room for company.)

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

I don't know if I really have any authority to say much here, because I've only had my timneh for about 5.5 months. But I'll say what I can...

So far, Pokey hasn't been as high-maintenance as I expected. I mean, my cockatiel is VERY demanding in terms of attention -- he aaaaaalways wants to be cuddled and petted and stuff. He also has a short attention span and will not stay on his play gym -- it takes him about two minutes to somehow make his way back over to me. Pokey (the grey), on the other hand, is much more capable of amusing herself. She does like being petted and cuddled but is nowhere near as demanding as Ebo (the cockatiel). She's also more willing to play with toys and find entertainment that isn't dependent on me.

Of course, the main difficulty with Pokey is keeping her intellectually stimulated. She hasn't had any behavioral problems that would signify that she's bored, but I worry for the future. She gets bored of toys quickly because once she has them "figured out," they're no longer exciting for her. Her main form of entertainment is speech -- she talks to me, I talk to her, we make funny noises together, etc.

Another difficulty with Pokey is that she is more cautious and less adventurous than Ebo. This means that I have to introduce things to her gradually -- especially changes to her cage. She's more jumpy and jittery than Ebo, who is pretty much fearless. She is also more nippy than Ebo and occasionally bites *hard.*

I go to college, but she hasn't shown any signs of trouble in terms of me being away. Of course, it may be too early to tell, but things have gone smoothly so far. I chose my schedule so I have a three hour break in the afternoon where I go home and hang out with the animals, so they aren't sitting alone for six hours in a row (or nine hours on Tuesdays ;_. What's much more difficult is the time that I AM home but can't play with the birds (I've actually had the excuse "My bird ate my homework") -- they KNOW that I'm there and expect me to be with them.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slixa
    and a turkey (which hated my guts) until my father cooked him

Oh no! That's horrible! (although I admit I can see an amusing side - it's the way you put it ). But seriously - I would have disowned my dad if he had killed my pet.

I received a PM from you regarding Greys living with other birds. Did you get my reply? I will recap here. In my experience, if a bird grows up with other pets being around, he should be used to them. But, when they reach sexual maturity, some jealousy issues can occur if the Grey decides that the other bird becomes a rival for your attention. Same thing can happen with people. A Grey can not only attack the rival human or bird, but can then turn on the favourite person because it perceives you as not giving affection back. This is when biting can occur. It is important to train your Grey as much as possible as a baby to obey 'step up' commands, and learn good behaviour from bad, as it will help if difficulties occur, and make towards a well balanced adult.

Read 'Guide To A Well Behaved Parrot' by Mattie Sue Athan.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

This is off topic, but in your research on medium sized birds, have you looked into a pionus or a meyer's? I have heard really good things about both.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

Thank you all for your posts! And yea... as for the turkey, I kind of got attached to him, loved to feed him and all that, but I have to say I wasn't "heart broken" while I was eating him You can only take so many bites that make you bleed or being chased around the house after feeding him. I tried to stand up to that bird once...did you know they jump and try to kick you? Their claws are sharp!

Thank you Lee-Anne, I did get your PM And thank you to the rest of you for all your insight. I think when I have my schedule and money in order I'll start setting aside for one of them. In the mean time, I will take the advice some of you are giving me and research other birds while I am saving up. Our local pet store has a BEAUTIFUL Nanday conure for sale, a fantastic bird...I haven't heard him squak once tho, which has me dumbfounded and wondering if somehthing is amiss with him. Normally Conures are knowen for that, tho Nandays' are not "quite" as noisy as the rest. Who knows...I'm not in any rush, I want to take my time finding the right bird so I'm sure I'll get everything straight in that time

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

I kind of got attached to him, loved to feed him and all that, but I have to say I wasn't "heart broken" while I was eating him You can only take so many bites that make you bleed or being chased around the house after feeding him.
    Eeek! I don't know... I don't think I'd ever be able to eat an animal I knew personally, even if I didn't like it. I mean, I can't eat lobster because I used to have pet crayfish. So yeah...

But beware -- it's not unheard of for people to be chased and attacked and bitten by parrots.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slixa
    Nandays' are not "quite" as noisy as the rest.
    Don't be fooled! We have a regular Nanday at work who boards with us, and OMG - the NOISE!! He is one of the loadest birds - and naughty too! Once another boarder - and African Grey, ended up learning the awful loud call of the Nanday, so we had 2 unbearable noisy birds.

I am always relieved when that one goes home.
    Last edited by Birdmad Girl; 02-22-2005 at 09:33 AM.