Hi all heard from the vet
He said the report lists the cause of death as organophosphate poisoning, (see below) which is a family of pesticides commonly used in flea collars and bug sprays, (those are just a couple of examples he mentioned), and often used on plant, fruit and vegetables to ward off insects.
He said the pesticides reside on the skin of the fruit/veg and its very possible that the grapes that were fed to the birds that lived did not have as high a concentration of the pesticide still on the grape skins even after washing. He feels that the grapes were the culprit in this horrible tragedy.
I specifically asked him if any type of airborne contaminant or telfon could have been involved. I wanted to ask him this because of the rumors and innuendo's I have read on other boards and wanted to clear that up for everyone definitively. He said that the lab report came back negative on those but that he had already personally ruled them out anyway during the gross necropsy, as there would have been visual findings. He had already ruled out aflotoxin in his mind also, as did the report.
I did ask him about the discrepancies on the dates of the reports. He apologized for that and said that was an error on HIS part, getting the dates wrong. He also told me that he called the lab when he was made aware that someone had called the lab and were told that the report went out on earlier in the month. He had the lab fax it to him as soon as he found out it had been sent and apologized for not checking sooner but he did not think it had been sent to him, since he never received it.
That's all I know, and I heard this directly from the Vet himself on the phone.
Organophosphates and carbamates. Many household pesticides contain some form of these. Toxicity can occur from inhalation, ingestion, or even topical contact. Clinical signs include difficulty breathing, uncoordinated movements, weakness, anorexia, diarrhea, tremors, and/or seizures. Passerines seem more susceptible than psittacines. Treatment consists of supportive care, activated charcoal if ingested, and emergency symptomatic treatment in severe cases (treatments to stop seizures or to support respiration).