where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: WARNING: Chilean Grapes

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Exclamation WARNING: Chilean Grapes

It has come to my attention that All Cape Parrot Rescue has recently lost 9 birds after being fed grapes from Chile.

All the following birds died following consumption of only a small amount of Chilean grapes:

Memorial Service
    On Thursday Evening (Feb 3rd, 2005)

Family and Friends gathered at All Cape Parrot Rescue for a memorial service and to set the Ashes of our lost birds free. The ashes of our lost birds were set free in the wildlife preserve behind ACPR, so that their bodies could join their souls.

Marmalade, a Mollucan Cockatoo
    Lita, a Greater Sulphur Cockatoo (51 years old)
    Sunny, an Umbrella Cockatoo
    Joe, another Umbrella
    Abigail, a Medium Sulphur Crested cockatoo,
    Marly, an Umbrella Cockatoo (and one of the mascots of the rescue)
    Tasha, another Umbrella Cockatoo
    Marcy, a Noble Macaw (our first rescued bird)
    Squally, a Pionus
    The necropsy results have recently come back, and the result is:

The necropsy is in, and it appears to be a natural toxin affecting the nervous system. The Toxin is caused by a mold growth in the meat of the grape."
    Today I met a lady in a pet store who knows somebody who just had 3 birds die also eating only half a Chilean grape each. I will keep an eye out for any more news on this, but I wanted to post a warning because owners need to be aware of feeding these grapes just in case.

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Re: WARNING: Chilean Grapes

Yes, it is everywhere, in the www.pigeons.com forum too! This is bad, think what if WE eat them!
    -content removed by author-

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Its all over the discussion threads, though as far as I can tell there is nothing like an official report out.

Did you say you know someone ELSE had a parrot die? That IS significant. Any details???

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

No more details, just a lady I met today in a pet shop who I was talking to about parrots. She told me what happened to her friend, & was surprised when I said I knew about the Chilean grape threat from online reading, as she didn't know.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

yipes. that's scary. right now grapes are out of season, so grapes from chile are all that's around! i never buy them because they aren't organic- and i worry about pesticides, esp. in other countries where they still use DDT...

yet another thing to fret over...

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

What exactly are Chilean grapes? Are they just regular grapes that happen to be from Chile, or are they something special?

My father came to visit last weekend and he bought some grapes. Well, knowing that they're probably not organic (and are therefore probably HEAVILY sprayed), and now knowing that there's a possibility of them being Chilean grapes, I know that my birdies aren't going to get even a little bit of them.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

They are grapes from Chile. Just plain old red or green grapes. And pretty much all of them this time of the year come from... you guessed it Chile. Usually it's marked clearly on the bag. I think the best thing to do is to avoid them completely until they come back into season.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Angie
    Thanks

So grapes at local grocery store could also be grapes from Chile? I'm alittle confused... we got some a few weeks ago and i tried to feed them to by tiel (he doesn't like fresh things, but i keep trying) maybe it's good he didn't eat them anyways. I'm in Buffalo, NY do you think it is possible for our stores to have these? I'm very concerned now... ::: is anything safe anymore?!
    ~Angie

Name
    Pho
    Thanks

The last time I went to the grocery store, I noticed that all the grapes they had for sale were listed as being a "product of Chile." Lots of fruits and vegetables are brought in from other states or other countries, so the grapes at your grocery store probably are from Chile.

But is there any more information about Chilean grapes? I mean, if the deaths were caused by a mold growth, is it because the grapes were rotten or weren't very fresh anymore? Or is this mold present in even fresh grapes?

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

There is a rumor out on the listservs that the grapes may have been "tampered with" by a volunteer...which I assume means poisoned. I've seen no reason to believe that this is true and this hasn't come from any official sources. I hope it's not true. :-( It would be very sad if it were!

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

boy the one time I'm GLAD that my birds don't like grapes

I have been to the all cape parrot rescue It was right down the street from me when we used to live in harwich he the owner talked a lot of the smaller pet stores from having small birds in there stores because of to many unwanted birds he tried to get pet smart too but they said no
    I used to drop off new paper to them for there birds too bad about the birds
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Is there any reason to be concerned about blueberries from Chile? I just got some from Whole Foods, and I'm wondering if it's safe to share with the birdies.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I'm not sure. We just don't know enough about the grapes.

A lot of imported foods can have pesticides on them illegal in the US, though, and I've heard people say that the problem with Chilian grapes isn't the grapes, but Chile. Perhaps there is more of a risk on important fruits in general.

That said, I'm not sure how heavily sprayed blueberries are. Anyone of the other granola heads know?

Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I just saw this update regarding these grapes:

Hi all heard from the vet

He said the report lists the cause of death as organophosphate poisoning, (see below) which is a family of pesticides commonly used in flea collars and bug sprays, (those are just a couple of examples he mentioned), and often used on plant, fruit and vegetables to ward off insects.

He said the pesticides reside on the skin of the fruit/veg and its very possible that the grapes that were fed to the birds that lived did not have as high a concentration of the pesticide still on the grape skins even after washing. He feels that the grapes were the culprit in this horrible tragedy.

I specifically asked him if any type of airborne contaminant or telfon could have been involved. I wanted to ask him this because of the rumors and innuendo's I have read on other boards and wanted to clear that up for everyone definitively. He said that the lab report came back negative on those but that he had already personally ruled them out anyway during the gross necropsy, as there would have been visual findings. He had already ruled out aflotoxin in his mind also, as did the report.

I did ask him about the discrepancies on the dates of the reports. He apologized for that and said that was an error on HIS part, getting the dates wrong. He also told me that he called the lab when he was made aware that someone had called the lab and were told that the report went out on earlier in the month. He had the lab fax it to him as soon as he found out it had been sent and apologized for not checking sooner but he did not think it had been sent to him, since he never received it.

That's all I know, and I heard this directly from the Vet himself on the phone.

Quote:
    Organophosphates and carbamates. Many household pesticides contain some form of these. Toxicity can occur from inhalation, ingestion, or even topical contact. Clinical signs include difficulty breathing, uncoordinated movements, weakness, anorexia, diarrhea, tremors, and/or seizures. Passerines seem more susceptible than psittacines. Treatment consists of supportive care, activated charcoal if ingested, and emergency symptomatic treatment in severe cases (treatments to stop seizures or to support respiration).

My lovely ones are free! Hatching
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

Well, I would say to be on the safe side, not to feed any of our babies any types of fruits or vegtables that are not grown in the US...and even then take that extra step and make sure that they are organically grown...

I'm not going to take a chance period. They can do without them if they have too, and they'll be fine. I'm not going to stress about something I give to them as a treat.....

Ya'll know what I mean?

Remove Ads