Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2nd tiel coming

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Question 2nd tiel coming

Ok , so my current baby turned 3 just recently.. and I decided it was time for another. She is handraised , and I got her while she was still on hand feeds , and she weaned successfully with me. Spoilt rotten , and is out of her cage from the time she wakes up till bed time.

She has started recently showing more interest in other birds , my aunt and uncle have a hand raised conure , and while my Sweetie wanted to investigate the other birdie, theirs wasnt interested , and was way too aggressive for my liking.

So I have the oppurtunity of now getting a 2nd hand raised baby , about 7-8 weeks old , still on 3 x daily feeds but that doesnt worry me too much having handled that before. there will be a 2nd cage for the baby , not pushing the issue with them in forcing them on each other..

but the question I have is this , I know the suggested isolation time is 30 days , but how exactly do i manage that?
    Sweetie is with me all day , when I am out of the room she calls and it reaches a point where i worry about her , she works herself into a state. So how do I spend time with my current sweetie.. and give time to my new baby.. I want the new baby to basically be an out of cage bird same as sweetie , and with sweetie we started the out of cage thing on day one..?

Any ideas?
    Leandre
    Last edited by Panthlee; 03-08-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Charlie and Scarlet Hatching budgie-boy's Avatar
    Name
    Henry
    Thanks

Re: 2nd tiel coming

Maybe you could just get the 2nd baby and introduce sweetie to the 2nd one in an un-familiar room ( if there are any ) and see how thing's go from there.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

the problem isn't introducing them budgie boy, the problem is ISOLATING the new one from the current one for quarrentine....
    You may just have to force the issue, leave sweetie in her cage for afew hours a day and let the new baby out for that time in a seperate room.
    The new baby will be ok with being in the cage more time than sweetie, as it won't be used to being out all day, BUT you will still have to leave sweetie for a few hours a day to spend time with the baby. Sure it might be hard for you both, but maybe it'd be a good idea to train Sweetie to stay alone sometimes too. What would happen if you HAD to leave for a while, or something happened to sweetie making her have to stay cage bound....? She REALLY wouldn't cope very well at the moment, would she? So maybe you should consider teaching her to be in her cage by herself ANYWAY, wether you get this new baby or not!

The new baby will have to stay seperate, unless it can be with someone ELSE for the quarrentine period then come to you. It just isn't worth the risk for your Sweetie!! It's not common that a well cared for baby has any illness, BUT if the breeder is selling it as an unweaned baby, I have my doubts about the breeder!!! It doesn't really make any difference if youv'e done it before, no good breeder should be selling a baby until it has been off the formula for at least a week or two without regressing!

So that makes it all the more important to quarrentine it. Or maybe consider finding a more reputable breeder. You may even be able to have the bird kept at the breeders in quarrentine...? I don't know, but you can't back around quarrentine whatever you do, or you risk just too much!! You' feel horrible if the new bird had something that sweetie caught, and you lost both!

If you really want a new bird you will find a way to manage it. The new one doesn't have to be out of the cage all day long right from the start, it can get used to that later. But half an hour here and there through the day would be a good start, and should be enough for sweetie to cope with....?

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Talking shes Here:)

Well she is here Lutino , with paler orange cheeks so for the moment she will be dubbed a female

name of Kewtie

The isolation isnt going that badly... the two of them are despretly trying to get closer to each other.. Sweetie having walked down the hallway, giving a cheep.. stopping listening.. getting a reply.. walking a little further.. too cute

Kewtie has had her first vet visit , on the day of arrival and he says everything looks good good eye colour , nares open.. feathers good.. and the chest muscles are well developed and breathing clear. So we'll wait out the iso period then intro

she is still on 3 times a day feed , for 2 more weeks.. then intro'ing "solid" mix for the middle feed. she is already beaking everything.. hair skin.. towel .. so she got a toy today and some millet , not sure what to do with the millet yet , but was exploring it with her tongue. and the toy has had soooo much attention, she has nibbled on every part.

*happy mommy*
    Leandre

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

she sounds adorable! Can't wait to see her!

I swear, the digital camera people aren't marketing hard enough to the "right" crowd. They need a fast speed digital camera with lots of memory for the bird people who need to take pics and get them posted here! I know I need a digital camera!

Remove Ads