where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hybrid View

That's hot. Brand New Egg FoxxyGrace's Avatar
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

2 questions - mutation type and sexing

OK, so I have been poking around, trying to find out what type of mutation Webster is. While searching, I came across something that said that recessive pieds are sexed differently than normal colors. I am not sure whether my bird is a recessive pied or not.. Here is a big pic that shows his coloring:

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/g...47&mode=search

And, here are some pics that show his cere:

His cere is clearly blue and the pictures don't quite catch the vibrance that appears in life. When I got him, it was pinky lavendery with a blue hue; he is 7 months old now, and it has done nothing but get bluer. So, I suppose my question(s) would be:
    Is he a recessive pied; and if so, does his blue cere mean he isn't a he?
    Thanks in advance
    MY BIRDS

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

Re: 2 questions - mutation type and sexing

Oh wow! Your webster looks a lot like my Candy, except Candys tummy is mauve.

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say he's a sky blue pied. After a year, if his eyes are sitll completely black then he's recessive. If so, then he will obtain a pinky/mauve cere for a male. Not sure if theres a difference for females when compared to non-recessive birds.
    Female Grey/Pied
    ~*~Visit my Budgie Website, although I do not have my babies anymore~*~

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

starlit_moon - I noticed that Candy was almost identical to Webster when I saw one of your posts the other day on another thread. I about died because with the exception of the color of the blue, they could be twins. They're beautiful, we sure know how to choose them!

budgieobsession - So, are you saying that you think that his cere will change color again? As he has gotten older, the blue had gotten more and more bold.. Do female recessive pieds have blue ceres?
    MY BIRDS

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

I forgot what the females will have if they're recessive, sorry. I think they're are exceptions to the pink cere and he may turn out as a dominant peid.
    Female Grey/Pied
    ~*~Visit my Budgie Website, although I do not have my babies anymore~*~

Hatched!
    Thanks

What a gorgeous bird! To me, he looks like a she. Normally, a recessive pied will have very little base color and be mostly whatever color the head is. They also tend to have very few markings on the head or wings, but this is not always the case. The surefire way to tell is to check to see if your bird has the beginnings of an iris ring. If so, it's not recessive. Sometimes it takes a while for the ring to become very noticable, and since your bird isn't even a year old yet, it may still be dark instead of yellow or white. They also should have an orange beak and pink feet. The male will have a pink cere, not sure about the female. I think your bird is a dominant pied, from the markings and the way the colors are situated on him/her.
    Rainbow

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Rainbow - Thank you, I think he's pretty hot myself

I DON'T want him to be a her! I just don't - I know him as a he, and I love calling him my handsome little man.. :: sobs :: Although this would explain the crabby, odd behavior he has developed recently; I have heard the females are a little more.. attitudey. I always thought his attitude was because he was spoiled so rotten. Well, this CERTAINLY rained on my parade
    Last edited by FoxxyGrace; 03-23-2005 at 08:55 PM.
    MY BIRDS

Hatched!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoxxyGrace
    Rainbow - Thank you, I think he's pretty hot myself

I DON'T want him to be a her! I just don't - I know him as a he, and I love calling him my handsome little man.. :: sobs :: Although this would explain the crabby, odd behavior he has developed recently; I have heard the females are a little more.. attitudey. I always thought his attitude was because he was spoiled so rotten. Well, this CERTAINLY rained on my parade

He certainly IS beautiful! He looks so soft and touchable. How old is Webster?

Oh, don't say that about the girls though! Hens are wonderful! I have more females than males, and they are less flighty and more loving (ok, well a bit more jealous too) than the males are. They do have a little more attitude, but it's mostly because when they are hormonal they don't like to share.
    Rainbow

Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

He is so touchable, sometimes I just want to smash him into my face.. I'm sorry, I laughed out loud when I read that last line over.. I'm a bit wacky tonight... :hop

Webbie turned 7 months on the 17th, which was the day before my birthday - we celebrated together Do you think that at 7 months his iris rings should have started developing? Because all I see are big black eyes, no hint of anything.

It's funny that you say that hens are more jealous because this is my third budgie, and granted that isn't a lot, but I haven't had any that were so jealous! He MUST have everything I touch. My other two budgies were always interested in me and what I was doing or holding (they were both males -- for sure), but Webster is a maniac about it. He always perches on my shoulder, and any time I eat anything, he screams in my ear until I share it.

And really, who can blame a woman for not wanting to share when she's hormonal?

I am not sad so much because I don't like females, it's more that I just love having my little man. I love to compliment his big, handsome chest and his big manly head. And, I have grown quite accustomed to referring to him as "him." But I have a feeling that whether he turns out to be a male or female, I will probably still say "him." And, of course I would love him no less!
    MY BIRDS

Hatched!
    Thanks

I'm glad you feel that way. I'm pretty sure Webster won't care what you call her, just that you love her.
    Rainbow