Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: finger training

CheekysMama

Re: finger training

I then put my finger on the perch where she is sitting and slowly move my finger closer, she puts her head down like she wants her head petted which i think its partly her head being scratched and a manuver so we cant get her to come onto our finger.
    My bird does that too, its kinda frustrating. If she's not putting her head down when I say "up", she's running away from my finger most of the time. She only steps up if she thinks I'll take her where she wants to go.

I usually let her come out of her cage by herself, and then do the step up training in the bathroom.(Although I've been lax on doing that lately) She steps up in my bedroom on occasion. I'd like to be able to get her to step up from inside her cage too. Just keep trying to get her to step up, especially in a smaller place like a bathroom where she won't be as distracted and where she can't run from your finger too much. As for her putting her head down to be petted...I dunno. Maybe when you pet her say words like "head rub" to distinguish from "step up" and maybe with consistency she'll learn the difference? I think my bird does it just to be stubborn lol

Asteria107

Re: finger training

Thanks you, Ill try that!

Asteria107

finger training

We have had Sam for about 2 months. She or he. Were not sure! She as we call her, is talking or mimicking up a storm, likes multiple phrases over just words. Its hysterical. Anyways, I took Animal Care when I was in high school for two years, but what "training" I had with birds was limited. I have read a little bit online and whomever said to be repitious about finger traning every day. Well there are 4 members of out family, 3 of us are active with Sam, my mom being the main one. My dad is the one she'll go on the finger for, but only for maybe a couple seconds then tries to climb onto the side of the cage. I completely understand that this stuff takes time to train them and so on, but shes caught onto words so quickly that I would think this concept would be easy for her. When i go into her cage i talk to her, repeating phrases we say to her and what not, I then put my finger on the perch where she is sitting and slowly move my finger closer, she puts her head down like she wants her head petted which i think its partly her head being scratched and a manuver so we cant get her to come onto our finger. I have asked them that they say "step up" as some kind of cue I guess. Am I doing something wrong, its sort of frustrating that when the cage door is open i can see she wants to come out, but i dont want her out until shes trained to go on someones finger in case she has to go back in. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again!

Remove Ads