Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

when do new parakeets start to sing?

We have had our boy and girl since Wednesday, this is Saturday morning. i am still concerned. There has been barely any sounds from them other than an occasional chirping. None of the typical continual singing that is so beautiful. They are still very nervous when we are near the cage and our female doesnt seems to be eating much at all. I have not seen her once go to the water. Our boy I have seen eat, but still just a small amount. their (or his) poop has a bright green to it. Do some birds really never become singers, but just occasional chirpers? Last night our boy bird was again frantically flying back and forth in cage as if he had a bug up him, hitting the sides of the cage,....whats a new mom to do?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: when do new parakeets start to sing?

It takes budgies different amounts of time to settle in, although I'm not sure about the singing you speak of, most budgies just chirp a lot. If you play some music to your budgies they might start to chirp along with it. My budgie kept flying in the cage like crazy when we first got him, he calmed down after a few days though and hasn't done it since.

Spencer & Sunny

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

tp me a chirp is like a single chirp all by itself and then another chirp a bit later.....a pause inbetween is chirping. What I mean by singing is when the chirping is continuous, many syllables of a warbling type of chirping. As if they are mumbling, it seems it is a more gutteral contented kind of talking not just a chirp here or there. I have been told that males tend to do this more than females, and females more or less just "chirp" . This is all I am hearing, but barely from both. Hopefully they may just need more time to get comfy. Our last 2-some was singing within 3 days.....I just want to make sure they are happy, and wondered if some really never are singers like I mean. I appreciate your responding so quickly.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I see what you mean now, they must just be a little shy. I'm suprised they're so quiet seeing as they're together, although I've never bought 2 at the same time so I guess I wouldn't know. Have you tried playing music to them? If you really want to get them chirping, using a sound clip of budgies chirping usually always works. Spencer could hear another budgie outside this morning and he woke me up calling to it, they were chirping to each other for ages.

Spencer & Sunny

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

It took both Pez and Bruce about 3 weeks to come out of their shells when we first brought them home. Now they won't shut up!
    * Another long-winded message from the beak of Duddles. *

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Isn't that the truth-we want them to chatter and then some days I'm telling them to knock it off as they are so loud I can't hear myself think. Make sure you have two food and water dishes so the female can eat if the male is in a food dish already. Drinking is a hard thing to see as they are only at the water dish for about 1 second for a drink. It is so fast if you blink you missed it. After a week try putting them in a room that has a lot of activity and then you also can watch them very close and a t far distance. You will be surprised how much they are probably eating , drinking and moving around.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

i appreciate the responses. It is day 6 and my girl is still so still. she rarely moves around at all, although had made some cheeps when i played some parakeet sounds. i am most worried about her, so much that I may go buy her former cagemate who is still at the store, but am unsure I am ready for 3, what does anyone think about getting a third, or trading our male in for just her ex cage mate if things still dont go well (that sounds so cruel to trade though) Just dont know how 3 birds would be (an odd number not good?) I feel better though that their quietness can take as long as 3 weeks? Question: Are there some parakeets who really never are much into talking (chirping, singing) and are only occasional chirpers? and is it true that male birds tend to be chattier?

Hatched!
    Thanks

Have you taken them in for a new-birdie checkup at the vet's yet? That is always a good idea, especially if you are concerned. My male birds do tend to warble more than the females, but the females do sing more than just chirp. I think yours are just still settling in. In a few weeks they will probably be chattering up a storm!
    Rainbow

Name
    BlueBird
    Thanks

I think they are just settling in. I went through the same thing when I got my budgie.

I let him adjust for 2 weeks before starting any training and during those first few days I was really worried. He would sit smack in the middle of the perch and look really frightened. He only moved to eat and he wouldn't sing. However, once I started training him, he went from a step up to flying towards me, singing and snuggling in 3 weeks.

So try not to worry too much. It takes them a little time but once they adjust to their new surroundings they learn really quickly.

Also the first time my budgie really chirped away was when I had him in the kitchen and I was doing the dishes. He loved the sound of running water so you might try that.

Hatched!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AoiTori
    Also the first time my budgie really chirped away was when I had him in the kitchen and I was doing the dishes. He loved the sound of running water so you might try that.
    Mine like the sound of the blow dryer too.
    Rainbow

Name
    BlueBird
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    Mine like the sound of the blow dryer too.
    Hehe, it's pretty cute the way they just love noise. They're such little party animals.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Every bird is different. When I brought Ra and Sahara home as a pair it took nearly all of quarentine for them to perk up. Ra was making a bit of noise after a couple of weeks but Sahara didn't really find his voice until quarentine was over. Not that you'd know it now -- I have 4 boys trying to out sing, out call and out yell each other.

Just be patient with them, I found that playing music in the background helped settle them. Our house is rarely silent so I tried to introduce them to our usual house noises slowly, now more often than not they ARE the house noise

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain