where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: ~Additives in Pellets~

Luv my Birds Fledgeling Empathy's Avatar
    Name
    Victoria
    Thanks

~Additives in Pellets~

I found this on another site and thought it to be quite useful. Heres the list of the common additives found it pellets.

PELLETS

Let's talk about the additives in pellets.

Ethoxyquin: Is listed and identified as a harsh hazardous chemical by OSHA. It was originally used to preserve rubber. This is not allowed in human food and some feel it is not a chemical that they want in their bird food. The FDA has asked manufacturers for voluntary reduction in its use in pet foods and is in the process of deciding whether or not to ban the use of it altogether. Bird’s bodies can not get rid of it like a dog or cat and it then builds up and causes problems. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis. Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.

Artificial Colors: Most people are aware of toxic side effects of artificial colors and flavors from coal tar derivatives such as Red #40, a possible carcinogen, and Yellow #6, which causes sensitivity to fatal viruses in animals. Artificial colors DO cause yellow feather discoloration in Eclectus.

BHT/BHA: These petroleum products are used to stabilize fats in foods. In the process of metabolizing BHA and BHT, chemical changes occur in the body. These changes have caused reduced growth rates and they inhibit white blood cell stimulation. In pets, they can exhibit reactions such as skin blisters, hemorrhaging of the eye, weakness, discomfort in breathing, a reduction of the body's own antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase and may cause cancer. According to Dr. Wendell Belfield, DVM, a practicing vet for some 26 years, both BHA and BHT are known to cause liver and kidney dysfunction and are banned in some European countries.

Propylene Glycol: Used as a de-icing fluid for airplanes, this chemical is added to food and skin products to maintain texture and moisture as well as inhibiting bacteria growth in products. It also inhibits the growth of friendly bacteria in the digestive system by decreasing the amount of moisture in the intestinal tract leading to constipation and cancer. It can affect the liver and kidneys and causes the destruction of red blood cells.

Salt: Added as a preservative, salt can irritate the stomach lining, cause increased thirst and aggravate heart and kidney problems through fluid retention.

Sodium Nitrite: Used in the curing of meats, this substance participates in a chemical reaction in the body that becomes carcinogenic. It is used also in pet foods to add color.

Sugar and other Sweeteners: The most common sweeteners in pet/bird foods are beet sugar, corn sugar, molasses and sucrose. They are used as preservatives and have the side effect of creating sugar addicts in pets. They require almost no digestion and are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. These will provide sugar highs (just as humans experience) and subsequent lows (moodiness), inhibit the proper growth of friendly intestinal bacteria and they virtually shut down the digestive system while being processed. Sugar can also contribute to diabetes and hypoglycemia, cataract development, obesity and arthritis.

Go to your cupboard and get your pellets out and find out how many of these additives are in the brand you buy. If there is something else on the ingredients list and you don't know what it is, FIND OUT.

Do your research or ask questions of someone who can find out for you. Did you see the natural ingredients on your pellet ingredients list? Why not feed those items in their fresh, natural state instead?

How do YOUR pellets stack up?
    (This list may need updating...check labels!)

Abba = ethoxyquin, artificial color, artificial flavor
    Avian Special Needs = fish solubles, mineral oil
    Avi-Sci =ethoxyquin
    Breeders Blend=artificial flavors, salt
    Hagen =salt
    Harrison's = salt
    Kaytee =ethoxyquin, artificial color, salt, BHT or BHA
    Kellogg =ethoxyquin, artificial flavor, salt
    Lafeber Pellets=ethoxyquin
    Lefeber Nutriberries=ethoxyquin, propylene glycol
    L&M Pellets=ethoxyquin, artificial color, artificial flavor
    Pretty Bird Pellets=ethoxyquin, artificial flavor, salt, added sugar, BHT or BHA
    Roudybush Pellets=ethoxyquin
    Scenic=salt
    ZuPreem=artificial flavor, BHT or BHA

Note just from me:
    I feed my birds harrisons and roudybush, like mentioned above harrisons has some salt but otherwise organic. Its fine since I dont feed it as an only diet to my birds, so in my opinion harrisons is one of the best. I checked my Roudybush bag yesterday and found out they dont have ethoxyquin anymore, so thats great. It really helped my lovebird with feather picking because she was allergic to all the additives in other pellets.

Hope you find this informational.

“The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot"

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

Re: ~Additives in Pellets~

I think when they first started making zupreem it had bht in it but not anymore and roudybush use to have ethoxyquin in it but not anymore. But all this stuff is enough to drive you crazy!!!
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Just as a side note too, before you go thinking you're buying organic pellets, or whatever.

A manufacturer is ONLY required to place on the label, the ingredients THEY THEMSELVES place in their product. That means, if they buy pre mixed mixes, pre made anything, there STILL may be preservatives IN the stuff you just don't know about because the manufacterer doesn't have to list what he didn't add. Just a little FYI.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Jen Gust
    Thanks

Melanie- We mostly use pellets because of the fat content in seeds which gives bird fatty liver disease and other obesity issues and because natural wild seeds contain things that bird seed mixes cannot. It is scientifically proven that a pelleted diet can help a bird live a longer, healthier life. Birds eat seed in the wild, yes, but they certainly don't live as long in the wild as they do in capivity- and we wouldn't want them to live less!

Here's a link to a lot of scientific articles on avian nutrition written by Roudybush. You can also check "PubMed.com"; they have more unbiased articles as well.

http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?f...brain.articles

As for dangerous preservatives:

Here is what Tom Roudybush says himself....

Q: Do you use Ethoxyquin in your diets?
    A: We have replaced ethoxyquin with an all natural preservative in our Low-fat Maintenance, Maintenance, Breeder and High-energy Breeder pellets. The new preservative is a combination of d-tocopherol (a close relative of vitamin E), rosemary, and citric acid. Alpha tocopherol has antioxidant properties, but it is also biologically active and larger concentrations needed as a preservative may not be safe for birds. The advantage of d-tocopherol is that it has antioxidant properties but it has very little biological activity, so risk of toxicity is eliminated. Rosemary has natural antioxidant properties. Citric acid binds to certain minerals responsible for starting oxidation reactions, preventing those reactions from occuring. Roudybush is committed to providing your birds with the best possible food. Any changes we make to our formulations are thoroughly researched and only made when the data shows us there is a clear advantage.

Q: Is Ethoxyquin bad for my bird?
    A: There are many misconceptions and fear about this preservative. Preservatives are necessary to prolong the life of the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K and prevent the rancidity of fat in feed, keeping the feed nutritious for your bird. Without an antioxidant feed can become rancid or deficient in about three months at room temperature and ethoxyquin is one of the safest and most effective antioxidants available. There are many rumors and fears that ethoxyquin is toxic, poisonous, causes liver disease, or causes tumors. Please be aware of what resources you are gathering this information from. No scientific studies of any kind have been able to show ethoxyquin causing any of these problems, and so far they indicate that ethoxyquin is safe.

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

Even though lafebers has/had ethoxyquin they are removing it I think the new packages are without it. So the lafebers would be ok. I would work on having him eat more variety like veggies. I've always heard that tiels should have some seed. If you use lafeber pellets he would love the avi cakes and nutriberries most likely.
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Thanks

Why do you all need to worry about what pellets to feed and what level and kind of preservatives and shelf life extenders that they have inside?

Go whip up a batch of the most nutritious food for your parrot that is free of any kind of presevatives and shelf life extenders. Made with love and care for your birdie.

Folks have written to me that birdies that used to pluck stop that once they switch to Tinkerbell Mash, or Mike Manna Mash.
    You seen enough photos of Tinkerbell, Yingshiong and Riamfada to ascertain for yourself the state of their health.
    If you have not, click on the link in my signature.

See how Tinkerbell Mash is made and you decide if it is time for you to do the same.

My entire process how to make Tinkerbell Mash can be seen here.
    You might like to try this too. This is the best and yet the cheapest food that
    you can feed your parrot with.

Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash
    Batch 7
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

Warmest regards

Shanlung

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9/

Thanks

I thought I should add my writing into this thread too.

After all, the first letter here (and similar letters elsewhere) stuck a long time ago in my head. Together with my email exchanges with Mike Burton of Mike Manna Mash which triggered my Tinkerbell Mash based largely on his forumula.

Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115814.html

Warmest regards

Shanlung

山 龍

http://www.geocities.com/shanlung9

Remove Ads