Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: hissing noise???

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hissing noise???

i got my tiel like 3 weeks ago and ever since ive got it it makes this hissing noise and trys to bite me everytime i go 2 the cage or to replace food/water. is this normal?

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: hissing noise???

the bird is scared of you. you need to slow down, be calm & spend some quiet time with the bird. read a book in front of her cage, looking up from time to time & say a cheery hello.

when changing the food and water, talk to her first, tell her what you are doing the whole time. be cheerful.

offer treats with your hand, like millet spray.

you are a predator, and she is a prey animal. there is no obvious & immediate reason she would trust you. you must earn her trust (and then her love) by being trustworthly, loving, patient, & gentle.

Name
    -J
    Thanks

I agree with Squawk and howl on this. Shes probably just getting used to you and her new home.

My tiel is almost 2 and she still does this to me. If i give her a treat in her bowl she gripes at me . If I put a new toy in her cage she gripes at me. I have to take her out to put something new in her cage. Even then she watches me from her recliner and gripes at me. Cuz you know, I'm just a HORRIBLE mean mommy when I give her treats and new toys. Some birds are just territorial about their cage. But yours will most likely get over it. If not, welcome to the gripey bird club!

Shes a complete sweetheart other than that.

/aren't they cute when they think they're being big, tough, and scary?

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yes, hissing is a normal noise made by scared tiels. It is of course better if they're not making it, because they're scared when they hiss and you don't want them scared! But yeah, you don't really think of birds hissing! Follow Dani's advice though, and go slow.

"Cute Pieb Club" - CpC : ) Hatching little-budgie's Avatar
    Name
    Tiina
    Estonia (Europe) near Finland and Russia :P
    Thanks

Lorry hissed too, but not anymore. But he bites me all the times. He isnŽt afraid to sit on my tabel or step on the branch IŽm holding, but when IŽll put my finger near him, he starts to bite. What can I do?
    Signature removed due to not fitting with the signature rules. Feel free to adjust the old one and then put it back! Please check your Private Messages for a PM about this.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by little-budgie
    He isnŽt afraid to sit on my tabel or step on the branch IŽm holding, but when IŽll put my finger near him, he starts to bite. What can I do?
    he's scared of your hands. it could be in his past hands brought bad things. you, too nee to glow slow & show him your hands bring GOOD things and he can trust them.

start with treats. only offer millet spray or another fave treat from your hand. in the beginning, make the millet long so that he can "take it from your hand" but not feel threatened by being so close. each day, make it a little closer until he is very close.

then start with touching, again going very slow. many tisls love to be scritched, so oince he realizes what he has been missing, he'll be bowing his head for scritches any chance he can get!

Name
    Tiina
    Thanks

He eats from my fingers too. Put when IŽll try touch him or put my finger under his tummy, he starts to bite.
    Signature removed due to not fitting with the signature rules. Feel free to adjust the old one and then put it back! Please check your Private Messages for a PM about this.

Name
    Fen, if you want to type something shorter
    Thanks

Hmmm....He may just not like being touched there. Tsuki doesn't understand the concept of tummy petting, either! XD If a hand goes much lower than his chest, he just steps up.

Tsuki never went through a hissy stage. He still huffs and hisses if he's scared or angry at something, but he never went through a period of time when he was scared of me.
    See my profile to read about my animals!

Banner made by my best friend!

Like Death Note? Join Death Note Domain, a great new forum! It's awesometastic.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

For Lorry... Since he's pretty much used to you now, I'd try the best I can to ignore his bites. Pulling away from him when he bites you reinforces the behavior that he'll get what he wants by doing it. So.. put your finger under his tummy and say "Step up" and grin and bear it when he bites. When he does bite, say firmly "No Biting!" but don't move your hand away. Keep being persistent and he'll eventually get the picture that you're not going to go away so he might as well give it up and behave.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Tiina
    Thanks

But it hurts so much ! :P Yesterday I made a sqeeky noise with my lips (soundŽs like kissing or something ) and Lorry stayed to listen it, I put mu finger under him, and he stepped up many times.

Name
    Tiina
    Thanks

And quess where Lorry is at the moment? He is sitting on my shoulder And he has stepped on my finger many times by now. I just learned to ignore his bites, and it works. He is so lovely

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    kate
    Thanks

I bought a wild budgie when I was a teenager that I tamed just by putting my hand in the cage for an hour every day while I read or did homework. I didn't try to approach her or train her, but just left my hand in there for LONG periods of time. (yes my hand got numb LOL) but it worked. She turned out to be such a sweety, she ended up sleeping on the wooden railing on my bunk bed every night, and sometimes I'd wake up with her sleeping on my chest, (I didn't care as much about cleanliness as a teen LOL) and was my constant companion after just 3 months of keeping my hand in the cage like that. Eventually I would move my hand closer and closer to her, in the cage as she was tamed, but it was a VERY slow process. A good thing to remember is never move your hand quickly, don't jerk it or make sudden movements. Do everything in slow motion. They will trust you quicker that way.

Buddy, Rainbow Lorikeet & Punky, Cockatiel Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carly
    Thanks

I totally agree with ya Nesteroff!! I think the best way to tame a bird is just letting them know you are not going to hurt them and reward them for their good behavior! Its a very slow process, but its the most rewarding!

Attackbird - you need to start off with taming your new baby before you can expect much from him/her. Just hang around the cage and make sure he/she gets used to you and talk sweetly to your baby, giving kissing sounds. Soon or if she/he hasn't already will become curious with everything you do.
    Put your hand in the cage, but don't try to touch her/he, its just to let them know that you are not here to hurt them. Once he/she has settled everytime you put your hand it, you can work on the step up command etc.
    Let us know how you go, I love to hear of new babies and there training.

Name
    Tiina
    Thanks

So. Lorry is much better now, not biting me anymore so often. He also sits on my shoulder and knee.