Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 2 tiels - cage smelling HORRIBLE...any help????

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

2 tiels - cage smelling HORRIBLE...any help????

We have 2 tiels - found out they are BOTH female after they both started laying eggs. There cages/feces were no problem until after they started laying eggs. Now (even though they have stopped laying eggs for quite awhile now) their cage is INSANELY horrible smelling from their urine/feces. We have tried everything!! We even ended up buying a whole new cage recently to try and "start over". When we clean it we do so thoroughly but within a day or two at most the smell is so horrible our whole room stinks to the point where nothing helps! They have been to the vets and had cultures etc and nothing shows up as being a problem. Part of the problem (I think) is that they both always sit in the same spot (in the corner) and they both pee and poop in that same corner!! So everything builds up very quickly. And when we slide the bottom tray out to clean it there is a pile or urine underneath. I would say I don't know how they get the urine down the cage, and under the slide tray BUT I have seen one of them prop her leg up against the cage and actually poop and pee outside the cage on our wall!! Needless to say - these two birds are stinkers!! (both figuratively and literally!! hehe) We are at a loss as what to do. We've tried different cages, we've tried putting a variety of different things down in the bottom to try to catch and/or absorb the urine/feces etc. We are at a loss and the smell is so bad we just don't know what to do! Does anyone have any idea as to what to do?? Can we put cat litter or something in the bottom of the cage to help absorb the wetness and the smell (there is a layer of bars on the bottom of the cage above the slide out tray so they wouldn't be directly in or on the litter) or will the litter hurt them if they poke their beaks through and eat it? I welcome any and all suggestions because I really love the little gals but we just can't keep cleaning their cage every single day and STILL have it smelling so bad that it stinks up the whole room and even part of the hallway!

Sad, Frustrated and Concerned!!!
    Crys

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: 2 tiels - cage smelling HORRIBLE...any help????

that is trsange. most bird poop doesn't smell.

have you tried rearranging the cage so that they have to go to different areas? how big is the cage? how often are they out of the cage?

has the vet checked to be sure there no rotten egg stuff going on?

i would get one of those pads from drs foster and smith that is cage liners & remove the paper a couple times a day.

Thanks

Bad smelling poop is not abnormal when a bird is laying and sitting on eggs (they hold it in so they don't poop in the nest area), but usually the smell clears up when they stop nesting. How long ago did they stop laying the eggs and have they been sitting on them?

I once had to babysit a hen that has just finished sitting on eggs and her poop was all soft, huge and disgusting, and she was very skinny (from not eating much while sitting). I ended up adding some organic youghurt and honey to her food (only a tiny bit) to help her digestion normalise, and she was back to non-stinky poop within a week... maybe you could try that.

Birds don't actually have urine, their poop consists of three parts:
    liquid part - called urates, it should just be a little water to help the poop pass, excessive urates could indicate a serious health problem.
    dark part - this is the actual poop
    white part - this is uric acid, the bird equivalent of urine. It should be reasonably solid and dries into a white powder.

So if the liquid part of the poop is a lot, you should probably mention that to the vet, as it could be a serious illness.

I have two tiels that also tend to make a "poop pile" and I have never had any problems with smell in their cage, so I don't think that's a problem.
    Is there a water dish or a water bottle close to where the "poop pile" is? they might be adding water to their poop pile (by accident or intentionally) and that could be causing a smell...

Just love my Fids! Brand New Egg nikki9093's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

I saw this cleaning mix on TV. Safe and pretty good at disinfecting. 1part viniger to 1 part H2O. Clean out the bottom of the cage and pan by soaking it in warm water and then scrubing the grate part with a scrub brush or scrub pad, but no soap. After the pan and grate have been soaked and scrubbed and dried, the take a towel or clean rag and spray the rag with the solution then wipe the grate down and then the pan. It should help with the smell alot. You can use the rag sprayed with the solution on the bars of the cage too.

I personally use aspen shavings, paper under that, or even white ceder shavings. It smells good and it doen't have any oil or fumes to it. Alot of breeders I know use shavings. Its recycleable too if your into that.
    Owned by:

3 Fids (one bluefront amazon, and 3 keets)
    2 dogs (KoKo and Bruce)
    4 cats (dash,wilson,nani & stella)
    2 bearded dragons(fat-boy and hopper)
    40+ leopard geckos
    2 rats (chip and wormtail)

Buddy, Rainbow Lorikeet & Punky, Cockatiel Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carly
    Thanks

Hi, are the girls out of character at all? I'm just wondering if they are egg bound? Have you been giving them calcium when they start to nest? I haven't heard of birds poo smelling bad because they are egg bound, but I'm worried that the smell is soo strong that it is stinking out the room, as this is not normal and you should take them to the vet for a check up.
    Let us know how things go

Remove Ads