Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no!!! Here we go again...

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: Oh no!!! Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Mowsie
    oooh! You guys have eggies again? Do Tell!
    Yes Mowsie...we have eggies again As of this afternoon Babybird is sitting on 2 of them so far. So...in spite of all our efforts to discourage this sort of "behaviour", Baby has decided she would like to try it again and see what she gets with Dory playing the "daddy" role this time. As yet we don't know if they are fertile however Dory did seem to enjoy all the time and effort he put in on this newest "Quest for Babies"!!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Ooh boy!! I'm dying to see what these lil darlings (if they're fertile) turn out looking like! We'll get a whole new baby birdy journal to oogle and google over! Guess that means another photobucket account!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

It's been a long time since I've posted anything in here, but I'm still around. I've just been up to my neck in 'Mommy' duties (running my daughter from choir concerts to Guide camps and so on), and trying to clean all the cages. I just really needed some time to just simplify things for a while, so I haven't been spending time on the computer lately, except to check email.

Yes, Baby is again laying eggs. We held her off for as long as we could, but she made her point by laying her first egg right on top of the big cage one morning, right between a couple of bars! It was impossible to miss! It was almost as if she was trying to say, "LISTEN! I've given you all the signs, now give me that nest box NOW, or I'll just lay them right here!"

So I gave in and gave her the old nest box back. Within 5 minutes, Fat Boy was voted off the Island (his cage), and Baby and Dory had been moved in, with their nest box. Poor Little Timothy, he had to get downgraded to the red and black cage. Maybe this will make him more motivated to make his diet work so he can get back to sleeping with the flock? Yeah, Right!

Baby's now laid the 3rd egg of this clutch, as of yesterday (the second one that she is sitting on since she rejected the first), and we expect at least one more before she is done. Often, budgies will double clutch much sooner than she did, so we're happy with the spacing between clutches, and we hope that the summer 'lusties' will be gone by the time she is done with this clutch. We plan to again do everything we can to discourage any further breeding at that time.

We'll take some pictures of this clutch, but we won't make the same fuss as we did last time, because this clutch is destined to leave. 15 Budgies are more than a handful, and we simply can't take on anymore. The pet store we had intended her first clutch to go to will take this clutch, if we don't find other homes for these babies. That is, if these eggs are fertile. I'm going to guess that they will be.

So much for my update. Even when I'm not online myself, I get daily updates from Peter, and I really appreciate hearing from and about all of you.

Jenn

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

good luck with the new batch of babies
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

10 birds is not enough! Hatching MaristKKG's Avatar
    Name
    Allison
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hehot
    Babybird seems to like the idea of motherhood. Egg number 1 was laid yesterday...unfortunately it was very thin shelled and it cracked. Also at some point Baby poked a hole in it with her beak...almost like she knew it wasn't a good egg. Egg number 2 was laid sometime early this evening and it looks a lot better than number 1. As the thread title says "Oh no!!! Here we go again"...
    Bailey used to eat/crack the eggs that she instinctively seemed to "know" were no good. Nature is so mysterious!

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

You could ship the babies to me, I'll give them a good home ... just kidding, Canada to Australia is not a good idea!

Good to hear from you again Jenn, I was starting to wonder if you had vanished

Best of luck with this clutch guys, I hope you can find them good homes (If the eggs are fertile that is).

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Name
    zoeandkiwi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hehot
    So far, so good...we have been keeping a close eye on things and do what we can to discourage any breeding behaviour we see. At this time there have been no eggs laid and some of the behaviour has eased up. Jenn built the birds a new hanging play gym and Baby has been spending most of her time on it exploring all the new and birdy exciting things to play with so she has been spending less time ordering Dory around . So far, so good...
    Could you post a picture of the new playgym?

Hope everything goes well with the babies! Hopefully Baby will have had enough after this.

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Well kiddies...as of yesterday (Monday) Babybird is now sitting on 3 eggs. Dory seems to be a little lost at this "expectant" daddy thing. However, all things being equal, we expect Baby will find a way to whip him into shape when she really starts barking out the "I want regurgitated food and I want it NOW" . The funny thing about all this though, is that Pinhead is spending a lot of time on the perch near the nest box entrance chirping and what seems to be talking to Baby when she is in the box. If we hadn't actually seen Baby and Dory doing the "deed" a number of times...you would almost think that Pinhead was the anxious, expectant father. Somehow he seems to be really interested in this whole process. It's a puzzle.

Name
    Christy
    Thanks

lol...I can totally relate to this, guys!

While Blueberry was taking care of her babies, well...she snuck in some "alone time" w/Keeters w/out me knowing! She laid a second clutch before the babies were even weaned! I'm pulling daddy outta this cage as soon as I can so there are no more suprises!
    ~Christy

"As the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike, let your heart be untroubled by judgments and let your kindness rain down on all."-Shakyamuni Buddha

My Tiels

My Budgies

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

And the update continues...as of late this afternoon or early evening...Babybird is now sitting on 4 eggs. That makes 5 this time round counting the one that cracked and she poked a hole in. I'm thinking this would be a good time for her to stop . As I'm sure a few of you might be aware...the last clutch was only a 4 in total...and...Dory still seems to be a little slow on the uptake as far as figuring out that as the expectant father he is supposed to going out for "groceries" so mom can stay at home and sit

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

Ha! You just wait, in 6 months or so, Pinhead will use his knowledge of the "deed" on Baby..(Or someone else! )

~Mou ichido Rukuen ni aimashou~ Egg's Cracking... Yashika's Avatar
    Name
    Yashika
    Thanks

lol - your little guys can't seem to get enough of each other ^_^ I hope all goes well with this clutch, and that you find good homes for the baby birdies. (I'd take ém off your hands, but as Tanni says, canada to Australia prolly wouldn't be too good for the little mites)

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starlit_moon
    Ha! You just wait, in 6 months or so, Pinhead will use his knowledge of the "deed" on Baby..(Or someone else! )
    Oh Pinhead has used his "knowledge" before. He was the one who kept trying to mate with Gizzy late last year. Either Gizzy can't produce fertile eggs or Pinhead just kept missing the mark, because Gizzie's 5 eggs were all infertile.

Name
    Megan
    Thanks

hahaha! Maybe next time he will get it right...

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Ok, here's an update for those who are interested...3 of the newest batch of Babybird eggs are fertile. The 4th we won't know for a bit yet as it was just laid on Wednesday. Hopefully Baby is finished laying and can now concentrate on sitting on the eggs and trying to teach "responsibility challenged" Dory that it is now part of his job to bring meals. I'm sure she appreciates all the singing and serenading he does for her but I'm willing to bet a good regurgitation or two would be more than welcome .

Remove Ads