Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jodie
    Thanks

:( Broken tail feathers,when will they grow back?

Hi everyone,I am new here.
    We bought a tiel 4 days ago,she is a grey...has been hand raised so she is real friendly.
    ANyways,her wings are clipped,but she still insists on flying to me,but when she tries,she flies backwards and most of her tail feathers have broken off.
    She has about 2 tail feathers and the rest just looks like fluff...
    When will the new feathers grow in? I am guessing about 2 months...my hubby thinks about a year!LOL.
    Any help would be great!

Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

Re: :( Broken tail feathers,when will they grow back?

Welcome to TF,

As for the tail feathers, it depends on how old she is. If she is about 6 months old she will molt soon and some new feathers will come in. But if she is older it will take longer for the feathers to come back. Hope this helps!
    In loving memory of Mattie the...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jodie
    Thanks

Actually I am not sure how old she is,I must phone the pet store tomorrow...There was one at the pet store that still liked to be hand fed if that helps any.
    She looks like a *normal* tiel...Like I mean she doesn't look like she has baby feathers,so I don't know if she already molted or not.
    I hope they start growing in soon because she looks so funny,poor girl:S

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jodie
    Thanks

I just phone the pet store and the lady said they were around 12 weeks,but she also said that they should molt around 3 months or so...so I am not sure now when they molt,LOL.
    Guess only time will tell

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

From what I understand, moulting happens anytime after 4 months, usually around 6 months.

Oh, and flying backwards usually means a bad wing-clip. Mine does that too. She hasn't moulted yet and she's 5 months. Pinfeathers on the head, but that's all right now.

Buddy, Rainbow Lorikeet & Punky, Cockatiel Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carly
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your girl must look like a cutie with only a couple of tail feathers, he he he. Im sure she will start to molt in the next month or two. My cockatiel molted at 3mths old but then my rainbow lorikeet didnt molt until he was 4mths old.
    Last edited by flyingduster; 04-18-2005 at 09:35 PM. Reason: huge sig

Name
    Sheri & Clementine & Lily
    Thanks

Wow, it's 11 p.m. and the breeder just called me and asked to speak to me, when she found it was me on the phone she proceded to scream at me ( and believe me, I don't take kindly to people yelling at me when i'm respectful to them) telling me I'm crazy that no bird should ever be offered food every hour, she sold a baby bird and taught Terri how to feed it. To me, she saw a softie and took advantage and wanted the money. She couldn't answer why she wouldn't call me back, she just screamed and rant and raved and hung up on me. WOW, all to love a baby bird. *sigh* I just don't understand people I guess.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Firstly, welcome Jodie! I hate when baby tiels are clipped too much, because that's what's happened with her! When they're clipped too much, they fly backwards, and so broken tailfeathers are unfortunatly a very common problem for young tiels!!!
    She's only 12 weeks old, so she's still young. Tiels usually have their first moult at around 6 months, but often varies from 4 to 8 months! Their first moult is also often a very long drawn out affair, loosing lots of feathers one week, then nothing for another week, only to loose more the week after that!!!! As they go through more moults they get better and can be all over and done in a couple of weeks, but that first one is often a shocker!

Anyway, when she moults those new flight feathers will grow back in, meaning she'll get a chance to learn to fly and land properly, and those new tail feathers will grow back in too. Hopefully the flight feathers will come first, so she can learn to fly before the tail feathers come in; or she'll just break them again!!! It's ok if they're broken though. They look funny, but it doesn't hurt them. Be very careful when she does start to moult though, as when the feathers are growing in, they are full of blood. And if a big tail or wing feather is broken, they can act like a straw taped into the blood supply, and if not stopped they can bleed to death!!!!!! It's ok, if you're just careful and have a look at some of the tips on blood feathers that are everywhere on here, then you'll be fine. Once the feather is grown in the blood supply drys up and you're left with a normal feather again.

And as for 'baby feathers' there really isnt' baby and adult feathers, BUT if your baby is of one of the mutatiosn that can be sexed, and your baby turns out to be male, then the new feathers that coem through when she moults could be different! That does depend though, and I can't be bothered in going into that now!

Secondly, I'm about to pm carley and edit her post, sorry for anyone like me on a slow dial up for that huge sig pic!!! And loris are entierly different...

Thirdly, what are you going on about Peeps? ANd how is that at all relevant to the topic!??!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jodie
    Thanks

Thanx everyone!
    Yes,her wings were over clipped.the pet store said that the breeder likes to clip both wings straight accross.
    She has now broken all of her tail feathers,she looks so pitiful,but she is still happy.
    Can't wait till they grow back in!
    SHe is such a people person,whenever she is on the door of her cage,she insists on *flying* to me,so when her feathers all grow in I will debate whether or not to clip them again...I might let them all grow in and see from there on how she does
    She loves to ride around on my shoulder,and seems to be attatched to only me..My DH and kids can't get her to go on their finger,she will screech and nip at them,but as soon as I put my finger down,she is chirping and gurggling and climbs right on,LOL.
    She absolutely LOVES to be scratched on the head,under the chin and on her beak,alls I have to do is pinch my fingers at her and she is doing the little chirps,stretching her head and waiting for me to preen her.
    She is a great little girl.....or boy..we will see with her first molt..I am thinking *she* will end up being a *he*..Good theing the name is Echo so it is unisex,LOL.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

when my tiel was a baby, she was very clumsy too. yours will out grow this stage, too. once, my tiel was so bad with breaking her tailfeathers, she looked like a little pigeon- she had a "duck butt"!

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

ROFL Duck butt...yeah, we have one of those around here with Lovey (5 months) but hers are starting to grow back in

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Taxi can join the duckbutt club. He has exactly two tail feathers left and they're flapping around .. about to fall off. I haven't the heart to clip them because then he will have absolutely no tail. LOL!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Lovey has 2 also. one on either side, so she's a snagglebutt LOL! at least until they fall out/break. Truus' are pretty much grown back and they look lovely, plus it's helping her glide better.

Maybe Lovey will start flying forwards soon, too ehehehehe

Hatching
    Name
    Suzanne
    Thanks

My baby and one of my close friend's baby had the broken tail feathers look going on. We called 'em "pidgeon butt". Thank goodness those feathers molt out eventually.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jodie
    Thanks

Yep,she has no tail feathers left.
    I wonder if we can start a DBA(Duck butt annonymous)? LOL.
    I am hoping that they will grow back soon,I can see a little bit of new growth,but not as fast as I would like!
    Her wing feathers are starting to grow out now too and she is getting a little bit better at flying forewards,LOL.