Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: can a parakeet get fat?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

can a parakeet get fat?

peewee does not look so peewee anymore. Is is just possible that he is a larger variety than my other 2 and is just growing bigger than them? i DONT NOTICE HIM/HER EATING MORE, we have a variety of food and treat, not just seed. He does get plenty of flying time too, although I am still skeptical whether or not they even need it as they only fly out of the cage and most just perch in varous parts of the screen porch for the day.
    thanks e/1

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: can a parakeet get fat?

do you have a set of scales you can weigh him on? There is a range for budgies to be between. Yes, budgies can get overweight (there's a thread in the breeding, mutations forum) and need to be put on diets and exercise.

I'd first check the weight. I had one budgie that I thought was way too small until we weighed him and found he weighed more than the other one!

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

I've been part of some of those threads and still am a bit b/c the range is quite large.

I've had to go to the vet a few times now, and Sky has weighed in at 39g both times she was weighed and Sweety was eighed last time and 44g. This seems big when some here say their budgies are 29g .

My 2 don't see fat Sweety is definitely bigger than Sky, but very muscular/strong. Both do fly, Sky moreso than Sweety.

I think budgies can get fat/out of shape. I force mine to fly sometimes . hehe...no they love it. little game we have after work, they both hop on their cages and wait for me to chat them up, they get all excited, and wait for me to flinch really fast and they take off like nuts. They come back and zing me. It's cute. This is repeated for 15mins sometimes At least they end up doing 10-20 laps.

no good for budgie to just perch eat and sleep, just like it's no good for us to be couch potatoes.
    Last edited by raptorace; 05-05-2005 at 11:46 AM.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

oh yes they can get fat if they eat too much millett & do not get enought flying time check out kiwi

kiwi when we first got her

kiwi last year

my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

The quick answer is yes. Obesity in budgies can cause some very serious health problems...fatty liver disease being one of them. The weight itself of your budgie is not as important as the amount of fat on the bird. Right now we have 2 birds that as of today (May 8/05) weigh in at 52 grams. Little Timothy and Babybird both weigh the same yet one is fat and one is not. Little Timothy is on a diet to get his weight down and Babybird, who is the exact same weight (52gms) is not fat at all. Babybird was checked out at the vet yesterday and is just a big bird. She has been flighted all her life and is just a very muscular bird. The T-Bird hasn't always been flighted (he is now) and gained a lot of weight when he didn't stop eating for 5 after the babies were weaned. If there is a concern about how fat or not your bird is and if you don't know how to check for fat deposits yourself, take your budgie to your avian vet and they can and will do it for you. Our birds range in weight from 30gms to 52gms...so it isn't the weight per say as much as it is the amount of fat. Obesity in budgies is serious business, so if there is any doubt at all, ask your avian vet to look the bird over and let you know if there is a problem or not. Yours budgies health and lifespan could depend on it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Frederick
    Thanks

Yep, Dicky was slightly overweight, but when I changed him into the new big cage with jacky, his weight problems started to melt away, I doubt he actually got anything bad for it. But I do feel bad because his first cage was too small for him (this I didn't realise at first)

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

It could also be possible that Peewee is an english or english cross and that's why he is larger. Do you have any pics?

Ra, my lutino has a lot of english budgie in him I've worked out and he is significantly larger than Sahara and Sky who are both pure american. Snow who also has some english in him is slightly larger than the americans too.

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain