Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: biting .. getting to me.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Exclamation biting .. getting to me.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok.. here is the gist of it.. Sweetie is a biter.. she has been since we got her.. and we worked out.. she must have suffered some mishandling.. so she has issues with hands.. and anyones.. but even more with mens hands.. so we figured it was a guy who mishandled her.

now.. ive been working the last couple of months.. <past 6 months> and it seemed to get better for a while.. soft talking.. moving slowly... respecting her space.. etc.. and it did get better.. but now.. suddenly it has gotten worse.. even worse than before i started.. you should see how my hands look.. she will be all lovey dovey.. and then when she realizes its my hand.. she'll bite.. and she latches on.. she doesnt let go easily... ups.. have gone to dust.. she nips the hand coming towards her.. but will up onto any other part of you.. a sleeve.. a shoulder.. a arm.. etc.. she has her moments.. where she is very good.. and she gets LOTS of praise then.. and firm no's and not nice when she bites.. but it isnt making a difference at this point. ive heard of birds upping the stakes... but **** this HURTS... in the last 3 days.. she has drawn blood twice.. and bruised badly probably half a dozen other times...

so ANY advice .. im about to call in a behaviourist.. i cant really afford at this point.. hoping she can give me some advice..
    so anyone.. im desperate.. im not rehoming her or anything.. but id really like the biting to stop.. or at least drop down slightly..
    Leandre

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: biting .. getting to me.. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can understand how this is frustrating. but you've made awesome progress! and you are really really close to having a less fearful, loving companion. in fact- she's doing this last bout because SHE IS so close. it's sort of a reaction to prorgressing so much- her instinct is now to trust you, but last little something is freaking out at the last minute- "wait! you hate hands, remember?" you just need to get past this last little hump.

slow & steady wins the race- keep doing what you are doing. when she bites, talk to her in an overly calm, controlled, reassuring voice. "it's OK, sweetie. i love you & nothing bad is ever gonna happen to you again, what a pretty bird you are.. etc etc" over & over over & over over & over over & over.

Quote Originally Posted by Panthlee
    but even more with mens hands.. so we figured it was a guy who mishandled her.
    maybe, but not nesessarily- if she hates hands, men's hands are bigger, therefore the reaction may be larger....

ups.. have gone to dust.. she nips the hand coming towards her.. but will up onto any other part of you..
    don't let this happen. be firm but loving. she needs to step up & be cooperative about it. you've already been bitten, you know how bad it can get- and it won't get any worse than that. so get her to step up & be cooperative. the main reason for a loss of "pet quality" in birds is that owners give up on getting the bird to cooperate. the first thing to go is the step up...

im about to call in a behaviourist.. i cant really afford at this point.. hoping she can give me some advice..
    so anyone.. im desperate.. im not rehoming her or anything.. but id really like the biting to stop.. or at least drop down slightly..
    i understand. a reputable behaviorist is always a good idea, and can give you good ideas & support you. i highl;y recommend sally blanchard's "The Beak Book"...

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

thankss for the advice.. today was a good day.. thrown in was a little bad.. but mostly not bad.. it went well, i noticed a nasal discharge.. and a bit of loose droppings.. so i gave her a little probiotics yesterday and today.. and it has cleared up.. i realize she is stressed with the rest of the house.. we are moving.. so there are boxes stacked everywhere.. and its stressful for all the animals.. and people included.. i think thats why its a little harder for me this week.. to be the patient one.. usually i dont have an issue with patience at all.. but this week.. she has really tried my patience.. also something i realize she is picking up on.. one reason.. im trying overly hard.. the ups.. are still not working and i have no idea how to progress her to a point to step up.. other than bribe her.. which is hard.. considering she has nothing that is just training treats.. will look at getting something.. she has also been overly broody.. considering all the dark boxes around.. its NEST time.. and as we think she is a he.. the nipping could be protecting the nest.. but then she is nippy even when there are no nest sites available.. sooo

she got a few not nices.. and nos today.. but mainly she was a good girl.. lots of cuddles.. ate brocoli from my fingers.. so it went ok.. just somedays i wish it was a little easier.. i wouldnt trade her for the world.. but i would really like her to be a little more cuddly and a little less nippy.. *mutters to herself about slow and steady wins the race* heaven knows i have enough time to work on "taming" / "training" her.. lol.. and they said raising children was hard.. lol.. even my mom says the bird is harder.. at a certain age.. to kids you can explain why biting isnt nice.. birds.. lol different story.. she is adorable.. and my baby..
    *sighs* each day it will get better i tell myself.. maybe once we have done packing.. and then unpacking.. things will settle down.. and hopefully i wont have to deal with too much jealousy issues over the baby conure coming into the house.. MBS... mutiple bird symdrome.. is there a cure.. i keep telling myself at the petstore that i CANT have a cockatoo.. but the baby just looks at me with those eyes.. and im glad i left all the money at home.. <grinz> no honestly as much as i love them.. too demanding at present.. too much for where i am at my life.. and soooooo not fair to sweetie.. she is my first consideration when getting another bird.. and the size differance wouldnt not be fair.. or even safe to sweetie.. so a conure baby will satifsy the big bird in a small birds body.. and its slightly fairer on sweetie..

and as i type.. i have a little yellow cockatiel.. cuddled into my lap.. bowing her head.. and i realize how much i love her.. despite.. and maybe because of her attitude.. and her sweet times.. make it all worth it..
    Leandre

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Awww, I think that maybe the sudden return of the bites could be due to all the stress and hormones as well, so bear with her, maybe don't force her into it too much, but just take baby steps. Even if you stay at the same point and don't improve, at least you're not going way backwards! Once everything is calmed down again things can then start to improve again.

With the step up, can you get her to step up onto your wrist? At least then it's close to the hand, and getting to the hand part mightn't be as big a step then....? If you *always* make her step up onto your wrist, she might start being less weird about it.... I dunno really, I'm just throwing out ideas! lol!

Keep us posted though, and never give up!

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

yeah she steps up to my wrist with no problem.. but if i hold out a hand.. or a finger , as ive read a single finger might seem threatening.. so ive done it flat handed.. but usually just gives her more places to bite..
    im not pushing her at the moment. Im just trying to maintain some semblance of order..once we are settled.. i need to find a small treat that she likes.. and work one her step ups..
    hugs and thanks for being here.. and listening to me ramble.. when i have a bad day..
    Leandre