Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Free Beautiful Budgies - neighbour's accident yesterday (pics&vid)

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

Unhappy Fly Free Beautiful Budgies - neighbour's accident yesterday (pics&vid)

I'm sick

sorry for the long post, but have to let'er out.

I have nightmares about my 2 going through this. see below the text for pictures and a video.

I was bbq'ing when a few neighbours came over yesterday saying that their neighbour's lost their 2 budgies outside. Knowing how much I love birds, they came to see if I could help. My heart sunk. Shut down the bbq and went to see situation.

The owner's left the cage with birds outside while they went away. It was "super" hot yesterday 31C, very hot for us. And the owner's left them out while they went out. My heart sunk more. I was torn between ripping them some comman sense, and just trying to deal with the situation. As much as I could lecture for hours I didn't. As much as I'd like to put angry faces here I can't.

They had 2 budgies. When the owner's were away, they left the caged birds outside in their cage. The weather picked up violently, like it often does in these months, with gusts of wind likely 50kmh. The wind must have knocked over the whole cage, bottom came off and...

Their 2 beautiful budgies were set free.

I'm held my composure as the owner told me what happened. I was so ...

Then me and 1 neighbour heard the BUDGIE chirping. HOPE!!! Both were supposedly around for a while before they told me what was happening, as they could here them talking to each other. Then it stopped, and figured "Soleil" (sun in english) was gone for sure, and with the wind it was likely true.

The owner showed me where the little budgie was: SO SO SO blue against the dark green. My other neighbour had already grabbed his ladder and looking for ways up the tree.

As he tried, the "Coco" would just climb and jump to higher branches. Decided that he had to stop that.

We discussed further and mentioned to the neighbours the chance that Coco would come down to "his cage" on his own was slim to none. Plus the weather was picking up severely.

I had to check on my 2 in the house, make sure bbq off etc. Came back and 1 neighbour was gone. So me and the owner decided to try and persuade Coco to other branches with kid's water guns. The spray just reach, but Coco just started chirping and fluffing up ENJOYING the spray. This went on for 30+mins. Small comfort as it was, Coco was extremely HAPPY AND CONTENT we think, out in open and getting a shower.

A friend came down to see if she could help. I grabbed the owner's ladder and decided we had to try again. Got a fish net on a pole from another neighbour. I put the ladder on an adjacent tree, went up about 30 feet and saw Coco eye to eye level for 1st time . Coco looked so pretty against the dark pine tree.

I was just about get read for an attempt at fish net, when she locked eyes for a good 5 seconds...and that was that. Coco flew away in a huge gush of wind

I came home and "hugged" my babies a little tigher than normal, and will be thinking of these 2 budgies for a while. Very few seem to understand how some of us can bond to them. Those 2 have a chance in this weather, for a while. I mentioned to the owner about putting up flyers etc.

Good luck little dudes.

in between everything, my heart told me to get some pictures

Thinking of you Coco and Soleil

Video of chriping from pine tree

Last edited by raptorace; 06-19-2005 at 01:23 PM.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: Fly Free Beautiful Budgies - neighbour's accident yesterday (pics&vid)

Oh wow! What a horrifying ordeal for you! What a senseless circumstance of events! What a stupid neighbor you have! (sorry, I just cannot think of the owner as anything else.) And what great restraint you showed to not rip him a new one.

I hope against hope those 2 find good little homes with people who know what to do with budgies!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Oh no!! Poor budgies! I hope that someone finds them and reunites them with their owner. The owner must be feeling terrible at their stupidity. I hope they learn a lessone from this.

He is so pretty up in the tree. He sounds like he is enjoying himself too.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

I agree with Carol and Lee-Anne. Idiots!!!!!!

Kudos to you for trying to help.

Besides the flyers, suggest to the owners that they leave Coco's cage outside with the door open. Put the cage on a white cloth or towel and make sure the towel can't flap in the breeze. The white color seems to increase visibility to budgies from the air. Make sure there is water and food, especially millet sprays in the cage. Remove the cage grate if there is one and sprinkle seed on the cage floor. If Coco or Soleil are in the area, they may come back to their cage.

Hope these budgies do come back or someone finds them and gives them the home they deserve!!

Hatched!
    Thanks

I cannot imagine leaving the birds outside without supervision. WHAT were they thinking??? I hope they find a safe home. Poor budgies.

Can you imagine how terrified they must be?
    Rainbow

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Hi raptorace,

Your story touched me, because very recently I was very lucky to befriend an escaped budgie, whom I took in and cared for, for only three short days before she so sadly passed away.
    As much as we get angry with other people, we should perhaps also remember that we are all humans and we all make mistakes. Usually we learn from our mistakes, and quite often we learn "the hard way" -either when accidents happen or when we don't have anybody to guide us so we're forced to make our own decisions. Sometimes we don't mean any harm, but harm's done anyway because the decisions we made were wrong.
    For example, I know I shouldn't, but I still blame myself for not taking Budgie in to an avian vet sooner! I still feel I could have prevented her death, but because I didn't have anyone to advice me, and because I already had seen a vet, I thought that she might be ok as timed passed. "Gotta feel worse to get better" my mum used to say to me, and I wrongfully guessed that Budgie would get over the tough patch...
    I guess I'm just wanting to say that nobody's perfect, and I'm sure your neighbour loved the birds in his/her own, personal way and that he/she is probably very unhappy about the poor, lost pets.

Bubbles

PS, The notes around town is a good idea... I had MANY phonecalls while I looked after "my" Budgie, so it's worth it, even if it never gets anywhere -at least you will have tried.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anne Kenyon
    Thanks

They need to leave the cage outside, open, and full of food and water and tempting treats. Maybe.....
    But leaving the budgies alone and unattended??? I darnt type what I feel about that, Id be banned for the obscenities.
    IF they return, perhaps you could pursuade your neighbour to let YOU keep them? Now that WOULD be a happy ending!

Animals are a gift from God! Brand New Egg Charlie's Roost's Avatar
    Name
    Debra
    Thanks

While I agree putting up notices around town are a good idea to get the budgies back, I just had a friend who did the same thing because she found a monk parakeet. One night not long ago, she started recieving threatening phone calls. The caller said he got the number from the fliers. Luckily she had caller ID and was able to turn the caller in to the police and it turned out to be a couple of teenagers doing some prank calls and trying to scare her. So, tell your neighbors that if they want to put their phone number on those fliers that they put up, they are opening themselves up to any crazies that might be out there.
    Charlie's Roost:
    Debra Hurst and Fids:
    Charlie, May he rest in peace

Naomi, Angel, & Chewie -- SN English Budgies
    Joseph, Mary, Etu, Annabel, Daisy, & Bubba -- English Budgies
    Fodien, Tor, Nickle, & Cobalt -- American Budgies
    Bloke, Sydney, Boomer, Sunny & Babies -- Tiels
    Connor & Spirit -- Doves
    Frankie -- Quaker

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

aaagh! so horrible! i know people are assuming the original "owners"
    may have learned a lesson, but you can't always assume that. i've met
    so many people that "go out and get another one" only to again harm the
    animals due to ignorance.

at some point, we have top realize some people choose to remain
    ignorant, and some people should not have animals lives in their hands.

that said, i do not know these people. i hope they find their budgies
    & never do a foolish thing like that again. a happy ending for all!

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Wow, that is terrible. Really, the owners should have thought about what they were doing. You know, for being the smartest creatures on earth, people really can be stupid! No offense to your neighbors or anything, sorry. Poor little guys, hopefully someone can catch them. They will starve to death out there.
    PUERTO RICO

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

All we can do is hope they are found. I too think of how frightened they were their first night, and now. Awful. I'm pretty p'ode about it, b/c the owner didn't really want the budgies in the first place. They had tried to sell them at a garage sale, and had given them away to relatives, who in turn gave them back to these owners. I only learnt of this after the incident. Makes sense, as the owner wasn't really busted up about it. I must have looked like a fool to them with how much I was trying to help them...oh well.

I still cringe at the thought of my 2 being out there all alone. I will always do my my best to avoid them taking off, considering I don't clip their wings. It would take me forever to forgive myself. Everyone pay close attention to your free flighted birdies

on the "flip side", there are stories of the reverse happening. People finding budgies that have been out in the wild of cities for g-d knows how long, taken them in and nursed them back to decent health. fingers crossed for these to free angels

ps: I think of these birdies as "street budgies". hardened little dude/ettes by the harsh realities of the cement cities forced upon them!
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hmm... :uts thinking cap on::: Perhaps you can play recordings of budgies by YOUR place.. and set out a cage, food and water. Perhaps it will lure these budgies to your home.. sounds like they'd be BETTER off!

Sorry they're out there in the big world ... What a heartbreak. Now.. can I kick their owner in the can? Please?
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Irresponsible owners who don't deserve pity it sounds like then, if they didn't want budgies in the first place. With all of my heart, I hope that the budgies will survive out there, that someone will find them, care for them and love them the way they deserve.

Bubbles

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

how very sad
    I hope the budgies find there way home again
    If for some good reason they do
    please go over & talk to them about care for there budgies
    If they did this to them on the outside who knows how life was on the inside
    kathy
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

aww, this is very sad! I hope they are found... Such a shame!
    -content removed by author-

Remove Ads