Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: anyone has birds and dogs?

Name
    Michaela
    Thanks

anyone has birds and dogs?

im worried that my dogs wont like my bird. how can i introduce them? i was thinking in the beginning when i let the bird out, i cage my little dog and put the big one outside. but i dont wanna do that all the time. im afraid they will eat my bird.lol they like to chase birds outside, but does that mean they will hate my bird?\
    ****Michaela****

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: anyone has birds and dogs?

it's not a matter of hating, it's a matter of instinct. Dogs and cats instinctivly chase birds.

That said, we have a Cocker Spaniel, 5 years old. He's a real sweetie and yes, he chases birds outside (well, the birds outside have figured out how to tease him so they let him chase them as they fly back and forth)/

Our birds, however, seem different. He has no interest in the budgies. The tiels are a different story. I think he likes the way they smell because he'll get his nose really close and sniff them. They of course peck at him (Vader got his nose once, I believe) and he backs off.

We are always right there when the birds are out, though. I would Not trust a dog, no matter how much of a woosie he/she is, around my birds.

budgies and tiels and parrots in general are prey, dogs (and cats) are preditors. That's a fact of life. I think Dani has figured out some ways to keep her parrots safe with cats and I think maybe a dog. She may have some suggestions.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vic
    Thanks

i have a lab who has learned the inside birds are not to be retrieved or terrorized, and a little mixed dog who will mother everything in sight (she adopted a litter of kittens when the mother was trying to wean them and went right to nursing them) and I would never consider leaving them alone with my birds. Instinct will almost always overrule training when circumstances are right.

other than that, if I am free to constantly supervise, then I have no problems with them getting along (of course the birds dont want any part of the dogs or cat)
    Tiels: yodels, gizmo, corky, scooter, cricket, ginger, pica
    budgies...precious, jinx, speck
    quakers...tinker, sprocket
    WOW no wonder my house is loud!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

I have three cats and six tiels. Of my three kitties, two don't take an active interest in my tiels (though one of them is an indoor/outdoor cat and has hunted birds outside on occasion). My third is a younger cat and would pounce on one of my birds if he had an opportunity in a New York second.

With that said, NONE of my cats are EVER left unsupervised with my birds out of their cages. I don't even go to the bathroom with my birds unchecked. No way.. no how. I don't care HOW civilized my two cats act in my presence, I don't trust that they may not seize a moment if I wasn't there. Now.. they're fine if my birds are out and they're in the room. The birds have landed on the floor next to them and the cats have never so much as raised a paw, but I'm always right there... so I think its a case of "they know better" My kitten (actually... he just turned a year old) is a different story. I don't even trust him in the room with the birds out of the cage. He gets put in another room. He's FAR too interested in the birds and would pounce on one if he had a chance, regardless of my presence, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you feel your dog would present the slightest bit of danger to your bird, don't take the chance. One way I got my two older cats used to the birds being out, was to have the bird on my shoulder and the cat in the room with a squirt bottle nearby. I never needed it, but if kitty came to investigate, a quick squirt and a firm "NO!" would be all that was needed. My kitten however, is headstrong and that didn't work, so he's not allowed in the room. If you think that tactic might work with your dog, its better than just "introducing" them... if you know what I mean. At least your bird is on safer ground being ON you, and you're in more control of the situation. Whatever you do though, don't allow your dog near enough to snap.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

yes. supervision & training both species is KEY.

never let the birds out unattended with the dogs in the house. and
    start training your dogs NOW to treat the birds like family members.
    clicker training is a great way to teach this in small incremental
    steps.

i have cats & birds & the cats are now trained that if a bird
    falls to the floor, they freeze- then run the opposite way. i train the
    birds to tolerate the cats as well. (although two of them really want
    to bite them... sigh)

my main issue now is that my oldest cat is senile. she doesn't remember a lot of the training she obeyed just a year ago. she gets within a foot of the birds now, not to hurt them, but because she is really clueless. they lunge at her and she doesn't even notice. agh!

again, train both species & supervise. it can be done, but you
    should be cautious. there is a member of this board who came home to a carnal mess- the dogs had pulled out the bottom grate & gotten
    inside the cage & killed her birds. can you imagine? ugh. how awful.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

My tiel really does not like my pit bull terrier, Remy. Remy is scared of the tiel! Just never leave your bird and dog together unsupervised. You may want to keep them away from each other anyway just in case, though some birds and dogs actually bond....
    PUERTO RICO

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

As everyone has mentioned, be REALLY careful. Train as well as you can; then keep them away from each other. Make sure there is NO way the birds can get out or the dog(s) to the birds. You can't be too careful, because dogs do have a hunting instinct, and its not reasonable to expect them to never, ever take an interest in a small, fast moving prey animal.

I say this because I lost my tiels Sam and Merry to a situation with a dog--I never saw it coming, but I might have if I'd been careful enough. The dog got into the bird cage by removing 2 pieces of it, after 2 months of showing no interest in the tiels--so don't assume ANYTHING is OK and LOCK MOVING CAGE PARTS IN PLACE. My current birds go in a separate room with locked cages. Our dachshunds don't hunt the birds, but I'm also not going to give them the chance.

Thus, love the birds and dogs, and be careful not to put them in dangerous situation. You're goal is not for them to "like" each other. They don't get to play together...ever...and even if they like to "see" each other, they're better off not hanging out. (I thought, hey, the birds like watching the dog...and they did, until they got eaten by it.) Don't leave them in the same room together. Just keep 'em separate.

Admittedly, the dog that caused my problem was unique--she was a rescued stray, and she was an italian greyhound. Greyhounds have pronounced hunting drives. There may be a few dogs out there who are fine...But still, just want to be the voice of caution.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I was flicking through the channels the other night and I saw a segment on a show "Dogs with Jobs" and I thought of this thread.

A woman who breeds fancy chickens as pets has trained 4 dogs (I'm not sure on the breed - they are from Turkey and are known for their stock guarding abilities) to guard the chickens from prey animals in the nearby woods. They have problems with raccoons and hawks in particular. Since she got the dogs she has not lost a single chick to prey animals (or to the dogs).

She said the most important part of training the dogs not to go after the birds was training them to totally ignore the chickens, she would pull them up for even making eye contact with the chickens. The dogs were taught never to play or even acknowledge the chickens because that could cause the hunting instinct to kick in. And did she ever train the dogs well! One had a couple of young silkies climbing all over him and he didn't even bat an eyelid, he just continued his nap in the sun.

So it can be done, in very rare cases, with the right dog and the right surrounds, but it's probably not something worth risking. Stick to proper supervision when dogs and birds are together and if you can't supervise, keep them well apart.

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Hello
    i have a dog, cat and birds
    the cat ignores the birds completely one of my budgies likes to fly over and land on the cat when she sleeps she just looks at him and goes back to sleep with the budgie on her back, the dog (miniature pincher) watches the birds and likes to sniff them and gets a little freaked when they fly around but only barks at them
    Hedwig
    :yellowbud Tweety
    :ytiel Cosmo
    :stiel Damia

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Our cat is an alley cat. She was found out side the house, but we know her parents where outside cats, and she likes birds, but not in a good way, so we MUST at ALL times separate them from each other. [different rooms]
    -content removed by author-

Name
    Michaela
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig
    Hello
    i the dog (miniature pincher) watches the birds and likes to sniff them and gets a little freaked when they fly around but only barks at them
    see im worried about my Min Pin..my pitbull wouldnt care less, but the MinPin, i think would wanna kill the bird.lol
    ****Michaela****

Remove Ads