Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: We have a Colt... but a bad momma!

Lover of all animals Brand New Egg
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

We have a Colt... but a bad momma!

Day 1
    Here's the story:

Saturday morning we got a call (since we were camping) that our horse had a baby, but there was some bad news. The baby was in the pasture with our other mare and Mystery was protecting from my cousin. He said that he got it out of there and back with Baylee, but it wasn't all that easy. He also said that Baylee would not let it nurse and she was kicking and biting at him. So we drive over 100 miles back home which took about an hour and a half to go fix our little problem. We got home and we had to tie her to a tree to finally let that baby get some milk. So he probably didn't milk for a total of about 10 hrs or so. The poor little thing was sooo thirsty. We finally got her still and built a small corral to keep her close to the baby. We saw how they acted and proceeded back to our campsite up in the Smoky Mountains. We came back today, (to stay), and had to separate them totally because she was getting very aggressive and he had several bite marks on his poor little back. Remember she is a maiden mare. So what that means is we have to bottle feed him. We can't get him to take the bottle. We think the reason why she will not take him is because Mystery probably licked him clean and she doesn't think it's hers. I have a pic:

Day 3
    Well, the vets came out this evening. His outside health is fine: naval good, airways clear, eyes good, etc. They checked his IgG levels and they were terribly low, 358. He was dehydrated and mom doesn't have enough milk. They gave Baylee a shot of Oxytocin and some paste that helps them drop their milk. The reason they think that she doesn't have enough milk is because she was fed fescue hay. So what had to be done was a dose of Equine IgG plasma and some fluids to hydrate him. They also put a tube down his throat to feed him milk replacement to fill up his belly. He has a full tummy for now. He walks better, not as wobbly. The vet said that it was okay if he doesn't get fed for four hours but said it would be best to do it under that time frame. So four hours at night and 3 hours during the day, because it will become so tiresome. He still will not take a bottle, which the one we are using has a lamb nipple on it. They used one that was a human baby bottle and he still wouldn't take it. Whew, so many problems but it is worth it!

Today
    I have some good news! This morning I put some milk replacer in a bowl and fed it to him and he loved it. He was so happy to have food that he was pawing each of his front feet. Baylee is a little more calm with him, but she still won't accept him. I think it is because the vets gave her a shot to relieve pain from the udder. I am going to feed him every 2 and a half hours today. By the way if you would like to know his name it is Rusty, and if we get him registered in racking we will name him Baylee's Rusty Coin. We still don't know who the daddy was but he was a gaited horse, so I am sure that will still can get him registered, but he has to prove himself. He had so much energy last night after all the treatment. He would buck and kick and canter around the stall. He still has energy this morning which is really good. I am so thankful!
    Whatever love a person is missing is given back by a Horse.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Re: We have a Colt... but a bad momma!

What a cute little guy! I use to have a quarter horse.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

yeah the pic isn't showing up now but it did before..and the baby is so cute! I love little foals. I'm glad you guys are making some progress with him..that sucks that the mom is aggressive with him. Good luck with the wee cute dude!!

Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

Well, he is doing better eating wise, but now our concern is an abcess in his pastern, but we are getting that taken care of. We got a shot of antibiotic. He eats great now, he gets nothing from the mommy because she was to much of a hassle and her milk stopped producing. This morning he had a lot of energy, romping around the stall. We are going to start riding Baylee again since she doesn't want to be a momma. I will get more pictures later!

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

More pics, whoohoo! i will be lookin for em'! haha!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

He is doing very well now. He has bundles of energy. His leg is finally healing. He had a massive infection in it, but after antibiotics shots it came to a head and I would finish but that would be very graphic. BUT, it's healing well!

We got Baylee back into the swing of riding! She did great.

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

AAAHHH! The pic with the dog is SO cute!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

What a cutie! I love the photos, thanks for sharing them!
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Remove Ads