where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sexing a cockatiel?

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Sexing a cockatiel?

I get really confused with trying to work out what sex our lutino tiel is.

When we got our tiel over a year ago we were told it was male, although we weren't bothered what sex it was.

Mango has bonded really well with my partner, in fact she will fly off to any male that comes into the house, she doesn't seem to like females that much.

We get no head banging or strutting and just some whistling, certainly no talking.

I read somewhere about using a black light on lutinos under their wings and tail feathers to check for dots. Under the light we could see she had dots all along her wing feathers and bars all down the edges of her tail feather. I was under the impression that means she is female, even though her cheeks are quite orange.

I hope I am right as we are getting another tiel soon and I don't really want to end up with two male birds.

Lyn
    Last edited by flyingduster; 07-05-2005 at 07:02 AM.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: Sexing a young cockatiel

I split this from the other thread, as it was an old one and this will get more attention like this...

You cannot sex a lutino tiel by looking at them. No matter what age! The barring can mean female, but not nessesarily as some males do retain it. But going by her behaviour it is probable she's female.

The only way you can be sure though is by getting a DNA test done.

And if she's a male, what's wrong with having two males?! hehe.

Read some threads on introducing a new tiel too, about quarrentine and getting them introduced, and be careful if your'e planning on getting a male, that they don't breed. Also don't assume they'll get along..........

Just going to edit the title of the thread too, not changing your post at all...

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Re: Sexing a cockatiel?

I agree with Flyingduster about this. You can trust her to give you good information as well....Mutations in cockatiels have made it more difficult to sex them. Many mutations you can only know for sure with a DNA test, which is not too expensive...
    PUERTO RICO

Portable Perch Brand New Egg
    Name
    PyscoFalcon
    Thanks

Lutino is a sexlinked gene so you can sex "her" if you know her parents.

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

I found somewhere online that does DNA testing. You have to send off 3 feathers and make sure you take them out, not just pick up feathers that you find from the bird. I have to say I am unsure how to do this, I am scared I could make her bleed if I pulled out any feathers.

The breeder I got Mango from thought it was a male bird based on it's behaviour. They never said anything about it's parents though.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

you can only sex it by the p[arents if 1: you know the parents, and 2: only if neither parent is lutino.
    And then, you can know it's female...

BUT if either parent is lutino too, then it could still be male OR female.... the sex linked genes only work one way!

As for the DNA testing, they do have to be plucked feathers, as it contains the DNA in the bits on the tip of the feather where it was anchored into the skin. Pretty yuck! hehe. Pluck afew of the smaller feathers, like the short tail feathers that are up around the base of the long tail feathers. Hold her securly, maybe get someone else to hold her, and isolate a feather by parting them, hold it near the base of the feather firmly, hold her with your other hand, like maybe put your fingers either side of the feather you're going to pull, so it keeps the toehr feathers parted out of the way, and means you are pulling agaisnt you and not just pulling her out of the hands of whoever's helping you! And just firmly and quickly give it a tug. It'll hurt, and she'll sqwark, and there might be the tiniest touch of blood or a red bit, but it'll be ok. Get each feather from a different area, not from right beside each other, or she'll have a really sore bit! It's a bit like getting about 20 of your hairs pulled out at once. It WILL hurt her, but it's not unbearable or maiming or anything...

Don't try to pull any feathers from her wing, they're bigger and you can hurt the wing if done incorrectly, just grab the smaller feathers from the body and tail area...

It is very hard to guess the gender by behaviour sometimes, sometimes they make it obvious, but others are sooooooo mediocre that it's impossible to tell! lol!

Good luck!

FD