Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Budgie body language?

Hello, I am currently training my new budgie, who I think (still debating) I am going to name Ivan. My budgie is so pretty, with a yellow head and tail and a beautiful blue/purple back and cobalt belly. I'm going to try to get a couple pictures up tomorrow. I had some questions about budgie body language I was hoping someone could anwser.
    Anyway, my Budgie always does this thing with it's beak where it opens the beak real wide for a second, almost like stretching it open. And just now I had my bird to step up and he/she bobbed it's head up and down real fast a few times. Another thing he/she did was kind of feel my finger (not hard enough or quick like a bite) with its beak when I scratched its belly too high. Any idea what this stuff means? I hope it's good!
    One last question. I hear all these great stories about tame budgies doing the cutest things, but I was wondering...do very many budgies like to be pet or scratched, or held and cuddled close with? Sorry for so many questions, but I am so curious!

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: Budgie body language?

I'm not sure about all of them, but beaking your finger before stepping up is a budgie's way of checking that the perch they're about to stand on is sturdy.

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Thanks

Talking Re: Budgie body language?

Sounds like your bird is pretty happy. The head bobbing is just his way of demonstrating happiness; as for the yawning, he's just yawning like you or I, nothing to worry about.

Hatching
    Name
    karen
    Thanks

Your question about wanting to be cuddled or scratched. It is the luck of which ones you pick. Both of mine do not want to be touched or scratched . They both are finger tamed, come when called and will let me rub my face around their heads, but no fingers or holding them in my hands.

Hatching
    Name
    Maggie
    Thanks

Budgies communicate mostly with us by body language. The touch or slight pressure with the beak can mean many things depending on context and other body language.

The touch or slight pressure can mean"

1. "Please take your hand away" or "I am finished now" or "Please take your hand away because I want to do something else" when you have been doing something like rubbing your budgie's belly for awhile and he has become bored with it or he is done eating the treat you have been holding as he nibbles on it.

2. "Please take your hand away and stop what you are doing. You are making me nervous". Your budgie may start to lean away or edge away from you just before he touches your hand or you may notice that his eyes have become very wide, like saucers, or your budgie has flattened its feathers and looks a little skinny.

3. "Thank you" or "I like/love you". My budgies do this when I am holding a treat for them to nibble or a food dish they are eating from. After they touch my hand, they go right back to eating, whereas if they are telling me they are done eating, they touch my hand, stop eating, and sometimes turn their head away.

4. Taste and/or explore my skin, fingernails, etc.

5. As TaNnii said, to check to see if the perch (your finger/hand, etc.) is sturdy.

Hope this helps.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

there's also the "my mouth is dirty and you make a convient napkin" touch LOL be prepared for that one too

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Ha! I had to laugh at that one! It hit close to home.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Yeah thanks maggie thats helpful. I think he is trying to say "backoff i dont like that." *sigh*. I guess my budgie is still just too nervous around me. I hope he will be a lovey dovey bird though!