Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: signs of illness thread

Name
    Carl and Sugar
    Thanks

signs of illness thread

I think it would be extremely helpful if some one could start a thread about signs of illness in birds, something like what to look for,symptoms.etc. I have read some threads saying if you think your bird is sick, take it to the vet, I know this, but being a new owner I am not sure what to look for as far as signs that my bird could be sick, I am sure their are several signs of illness, but every situation is unique and could be very helpful to other less experienced people(like me) and other new or potential bird owners. If I have missed this topic somewhere please direct me, or please post some signs of illness in this thread that you all have experienced or know about,, Thanks! Carl

p.s. I did see the above stcky thread on this topic but I felt that it didnt really have enough info on what to look for, I think first hand experience and knowledge is what I am seeking, any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Sugar; 07-16-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Re: signs of illness thread

I think that's a good idea Sugar.

I've only had a tiel for just over a year and am still finding out new things about illnesses and how they affect them.

It can be very hard to know when a tiel is sick as it seems they are very good at hiding illnesses until they are quite poorly, which I guess is why it's always good to go to a vet if you are really worried.

Our last tiel that we only had for 4 days was quite lethargic, squatted a lot and had it's feathers fluffed up all the time, I didn't realise at the time that these are all signs of a tiel that is not healthy. We had to take him back to the person we bought him from and nearly 3wks on he is still not well enough to be homed.

I think when you get a baby tiel it's a good idea to keep weighing them daily so that you can tell if they are eating enough food.

I know that when they stay on the bottom of the cage all the time it can be a sign that something is wrong too.

We just picked up our new baby this morning and it's certainly a worrying time I know. I am forever checking him to make sure he is okay.

Thanks

That's a great suggestion, we will work on it In the mean time you can go take a look at this excellent article from birds'n ways.

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww14ev.htm

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

yeah, good thinking! Hopefully, that can save us and others time so they don't have to post and ask! Good idea!
    PUERTO RICO

Remove Ads