Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie afraid of food

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Arrow Budgie afraid of food

I got my first budgie two weeks ago and he seems to be doing very well. He is not skittish as much anymore but he just sits in the same spot all day. Is this normal?
    Anyway, I have read around that it is not a good idea to keep budies on only seed food. But every time i try to put something in his bowl or feed him he freaks out and flies away. He is even scared of millet spray so I cant coax him out of the cage with it hence making it harder to tame him. Oh well. Is there any way I can get my budgie to be less scared of millet and veggies?

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Budgie afraid of food

Do you have several perches of different sizes (rope, branches, dowel) and a swing in the cage? If his feathers are clipped, it may be hard for him to get around if he was used to flying. Any music on? Toys to play with? I would try to get him on pellets and add seed as a treat, but take it slow and make sure he is eating- have at least two different types of food bowls- one with a perch and one without. He also needs veggies, but this can take time. Be sure the pieces are tiny and easy for him to get at. Try parsley, mashed peas or corn.. for starters. Regarding the millet- try putting some small pieces on top of his food instead of having a millet spray. And it sounds like he is afraid of your hand. They are prey animals, and their natural survival instinct is telling them to be afraid. He needs to learn to trust you. Turn some music on, sing to him, talk softly to him, don't make sudden moves.. and he will come around.

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

Hi Hillari! Your bird has the same problem Snowdrop had. She hated anything new I tried to feed her; she'd start backing off, like it was out to get her! Don't worry; I think your bird is still getting used to his new environment. As soon as he's comfortable enough, he'll be moving around and eventually doing some exploration of his own.

You could try clipping some millet and vegetables near a perch, and let him discover it. He eventually will. You'll need to remove the vegetables after 3 hours, but the millet is okay, it doesn't spoil easily, so you could leave it there for a few days. Btw, does your bird use cuttlebone?

You can introduce pellets into the seed cup along with his seed, or you could place it in a separate food dish. Eventually, he'll wander over to the food dish and want to find out what's in it. I think your bird just sounds like he needs a bit more time to get used to his surroundings.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you. Im sure thats all it is, he is still only two weeks in my home. I think I got lucky because he was stepping up the first day and now always stays on my hand. Today he even stayed outside for about 20 mins. Anyway, I will try giving him veggies and stuff. Should I try everyday? And I was wondering if big stored like Petco would carry pellet food or if I have to get it from somewhere special. And is it okay to mix veggies, seed and pellets in the same dish or should I get something seperate? Sorry about all the questions, and thanks guys for your replies!

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

anything fresh needs to be removed from the cage after a few hours because of spoilage. Seed and pellet are dry and can be left in there until the next time you change out food (usually the next day or so)

I get my pellets from different places and shop for the cheapest ones. Usually Harrisons can only be purchased from a vet that carries them or online. They don't sell in pet stores. Some stores carry Hagens and Roudybush and most will carry Zupreem. I get the canary size or tiniest pellet I can find. my birds prefer tiny bites.

Most birds like to "forage" which means they pick stuff up off the carpet, table top, where ever they are. If you sprinkle the tiny pellets on the carpet, he may forage there. Sit down on the floor with him while he is eating as eating is a "flock" activity. You may try eating something at the same time to encourage him to eat something.

good luck!

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Adele
    Thanks

Hey, Hillari - is your budgie eating millet now? I'm just curious to know, because I have the same problem with Matisse. No matter what I do with the millet, he's not eating it!
    Lucky -the rescued budgie...RIP
    Matisse -always remembered...RIP

Remove Ads