Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino Cocktiels, female or male?

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Question Albino Cocktiels, female or male?

I have an Albino Cocktiel. When I got Bubba, from the pet store they had no idea what sex it was "the bird was too young to tell"; I have a breeding license through them with Bubba but everytime I take, Bubba in for a check up, they wont tell me the sex. Is there any way to know, besides DNA testing??

Any help at this time would be great!!!

Thanks!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: Albino Cocktiels, female or male?

Sorry to disappoint, but the only way to know a lutino whiteface (aka albino) tiel's gender is by a) knowing its lineage (parental splits).. mom and dad not visually showing either the whiteface or lutino would indicate that a bird hatched showing these two mutations would be a hen. The other way to tell for sure is DNA testing.

Of course, you can always try guessing by traits such as vocal vs. not, courtship displays, etc.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Bubba is loud and vocal. Is always chirping singing a whistling... But lately has started this new low tone chirp where budda stick it's butt up in the air and chirps and chirps and chirps... It's very annoying and Bubba likes to do it my boyfriend a couple times a day...

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

that sounds like hen behavior to me. Take it from me, I've had my Truus' butt stuck in my face enough to know. She likes to perch on my shoulder, then before I know it, there's that soft little chuff chuff sound and her tail is in the air, body straight out and feathers tight to the body.

I once caught sight of something I'd rather not have seen, so when she starts up, I don't even look any more, I just pick her up and let her "finish" in her cage

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

I once caught sight of something I'd rather not have seen, so when she starts up, I don't even look any more, I just pick her up and let her "finish" in her cage
    BWAHAHAH! Yup! I know EXACTLY what you mean. Trinny gave me the "window view" once too and I tell ya... it wasn't something I particularly want a second peek at. "Yes dear.. very nice.. now put it away". LOL

Yah.. sounds like a hen trying to "entice" your boyfriend there.. just fyi. Not ALL hens are quiet.. but boy tiels typically don't solicit in that manner.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

LOL Yes I have seen something I dont want to a couple times, a couple times being home sick she comes and perches on my and has started her chirping so I put her on her cage as well, but that is rarely I get that special attention from bubba. But when the boyfriend is home and once she sees come out from the kitchen or some where and I interupt her she get all hissy and mad. Even more so when the boyfriend and I are getting cuddly she has to come and try to get right between us and then she starts bitting and hissing at me with the such behavior. Hmmm could Bubba be so loud since she is an only bird? Are they fairly good with bring other birds into the house? or more so with cockteils?

If Bubba is a 'she'; we've never seen any eggs, she is about a year and a couple months old now. How long until they start laying eggs if this is the case?

Sorry I am so full of questions I am much more a dog and rabbit person then I am birds... Which Bubba LOVES the dog she just wants to sit on him and clean him all day if he would let her.

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

BWAHAHAH! Yup! I know EXACTLY what you mean. Trinny gave me the "window view" once too and I tell ya... it wasn't something I particularly want a second peek at.
    Hey, maybe she just needed to vent! ^_^

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

***WolfRyder slaps Phonix around with a wet fish a few times***
    ROFLMAO!!! Pho you are so bad!!

Cheryl, not all females lay eggs. In fact, you want them to Not lay eggs if you can help it(unless you're breeding them of course.) She may be a "she" and you wouldn't know by the eggs.

And as far as jealous behavior goes, well, since Vader has seduced Lovey to the dark side, when he's on my shoulder and flirting with me, here Lovey comes, marching right up and demanding skritches from Him then grooming his head until he "forgets" all about me.

Sometimes, though, he wants attention from me and he'll beak her away, but usually he'll follow her down to look out the window (their favorite pasttime when he's not singing to her or they're not playing with the toys on the gym)

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

That really was terrible Pho!

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Hmmm I see... Wel we do have breeders license is was with the sale. Since up here in Canada you can only get Albinos they say every 3-4 years, they give you license to breed them and all. Which for the $600 I paid for Bubba it might be nice to get a little something back, my dog didnt even cost that much!! But yeah the pet store calls occasional and asks me if Bubba is ready to breed *shrugs* how am I suppose to know, you are the pet store! But yeah... Hmm maybe we will just have DNA test Bubba and find out for sure.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

How old is Bubba? I'm guessing by behavior she/he's at least 9 months old (minimum) but that's just a guess. Tiels really shouldn't be bred before 1 1/2 years old, for maturity's sake (physical as well as emotional) and the male and female need to be bonded as they both help sit on the eggs and raise the young. It's not like with a dog where you can put them to stud and then let the female take care of the rest.

At least not unless a person is going to pull the newly hatched chicks and hand feed each and every one every two hours round teh clock for a few weeks, then 3 hours, then 4...well you get my drift

Female tiels can lay 10 eggs a clutch, I think (someone will correct me if I'm wrong. my females have never layed) and there's no way 1 bird could take care of that many babies alone.

Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_angel00
    Which for the $600 I paid for Bubba it might be nice to get a little something back, my dog didnt even cost that much!!
    $600?!?!?! holy crap..that's a LOT for a cockatiel..I've seen wf lutinos for $45 here..they must not be THAT rare..

And I think it's bad of that pet store to just give you a license to breed..and pester you about breeding him/her..breeding is a serious thing, and it takes a lot of work, and since you're not experienced with birds, I would highly recommend not breeding you tiel, especially if it's a female...cause then you've got eggies to take care of, and babies..and what if you have to handfeed a baby? just..not a good idea. I know I definitely wouldn't, and I've been reading about this stuff for awhile. I decide to leave the breeding up to the people who know what they're doing, lol. I wouldn't want dead babies because of my inexperience.

I understand it'd be nice to get that $600 back..but I really wouldn't recommend it myself. Others can tell you more though.

Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Im in canada, just for a normal cockteil here is a couple hundred, I think the first one we had we paid $160 for and it was from someone who was neglecting her so they decided to sell her, then she escaped one day. So a Little while later, we bought this one, and apparently are extremely rare to get a complete albino, lutinos are easier to come by but the completely white with red eye are very rare... Well it wasnt all my mom so I cant complain. The pet store offered to do everything with the breeding as long as I brought her in for a couple days. I bought her last year in May... So she is just over a year I think. Hmmmm maybe I will leave it be.

Name
    Fen, if you want to type something shorter
    Thanks

Wow. Well, at least she displayed some behavior so you pretty much know her gender now! ^_^ For almost the first year I had Tsuki, I really had no way of knowing. Everything she did contradicted my guesses. By the way, Cheryl, that bird is absolutely adorable. I LOVE the picture!

Pho!!! OH, gosh, that was great. *hugs* Thanks! I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, and that fixed the problem!!
    See my profile to read about my animals!

Banner made by my best friend!

Like Death Note? Join Death Note Domain, a great new forum! It's awesometastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sun_angel00
    The pet store offered to do everything with the breeding as long as I brought her in for a couple days.
    Is the pet store planning to keep her for a few weeks so she can produce the eggs then they will take over the eggs and chick raising and give the tiel back to you??? If you ever decide to do that, dont let them get to the tiel so easily. If your tiel is so rare, they want to breed to make some easy money, dont let them do that. If they persist, set a price for them and dont make it cheap. Just my opinion.

Remove Ads