where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: feeding lovebird fresh foods

Egg's Cracking... Stewieandkiwis'mom's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

feeding lovebird fresh foods

My lovebird is about 12 weeks old now and weaned off of formula. I've been trying to introduce him to all kinds of food to avoid a picky eater. He eats pellets and seeds pretty well, and I have him semi eating a rice mixture made for birds called beak appetite cinnamon sunrise. Basically our feeding schedule goes like this: First thing in the am He gets a bowl of Zupreem natural pellets, that he gets all day. He has fresh water changed. I take a couple spoonfuls of the cinnamon sunrise and add things like shredded carrot, shreded broccoli, pellets and a little seed to entice him. This all gets mixted together and heated up. He picks at it alittle bit but not much. Before I leave for work I add a teaspoon of seed in with the pellets. My boyfriend takes out the fresh mix about 12:00 in the afternoon and adds a sprig of broccoli, or apple or bananna or what ever else we have. When I get home, I make more of the mix and take him out to his playgym. Here he will eat a pretty good amount of the mix if I'm there with him. I then give him more pellets and something fresh attached to his cage like mustard green leaf or kale ect. He gets another teaspoon of seed before he goes to bed. He likes treats like cherrios avicakes and nutriberries to name a few, but I really want him on freshfood based diet with pellets and seeds being a part but not a majority of the diet. I thought it would be easier as he is still very young, but he is stubborn. Even my parakeets eat things like broccoli,leafy greens, strawberries, parsely ect. I do want to try this diet I found here:http://www.jolleyfeathers.com/recipes.html. The layered salad looks really good and easy to introduce variety in new food items. Maybe I'm doing the right things just being determined by offering the fresh food, but he's also really determined to try and avoid it. I have to admit though once he starts eating the rice mix, he does eat a good amount of it, but you have to encourage him to do this by sitting with him and he eats mostly when I get home from work. Any suggestions to get this picky baby to eat his veggies?

Proud Parront Fledgeling Kellie's Avatar
    Name
    Kellie
    Thanks

Re: feeding lovebird fresh foods

Ooo, iv been trying to do the same thing with my lovies but they're a bit older so its been tricky. Iv just been offering a variety of foods to see what they like. The annoying brats that they are, theyre more interested in trying food if its already in your mouth. Sheesh.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Eric
    Thanks

I have noticed that once lovies learn that veggies and fruits are food they go nut, but I would start off with more enticing foods like corn and peas,

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

sounds like you are off to a great start!

think about different preparations & presentations for veggies-

raw, cooked, in birdie bread, in the beak appetit.

think about how you cut it- chucks, grated, matchsticks, etc.

you could hang a whole carrot (with the top) in the cage, or weave greens in between cage bars. you put put them in a cup or hang them on a skewer!

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

My lovie loves veggies he can husk, if you will...like stringbeans and sugar snap peas and beans in general. LOVES them. He will eat lettuce, especially when a little wet and he has tried caulifower and broccoli - but he doesn't like fruits. He'll eat them if I cut them up realllllly small, but it is almost like he just doesn't want to be bothered taking too much time to chew off pieces, little loser Most of the time he just drops the little pieces on the floor after he rolls them around in his mouth a bit!

Has anyone heard about giving cinnamon sticks to a lovie? I think I read something about it somewhere, but I can't remember where. Thanks!

Egg's Cracking... Stewieandkiwis'mom's Avatar
    Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Well today I changed the bowls to a different smaller bowl rather than the high back bowls. He had a pellet bowl an d a seed and beak appetite bowl and my boyfriend said he's been at thos bowls all day, mostley the pellet bowl. Tonight though I got him out and ate some raw broccoli in front of him (gross, I like it cooked) but sure enough he started to sample a seperate sprig that I gave to him. He then ate a little kale that I gave to the parakeets because he saw them eating it. Baby steps but it is progress

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Good for you- and your lovebird! You might want to try steaming broccoli, green beans, carrots. Try putting small amounts on a small paper plate and see what happens. Mine like the string stuff too, snap peas, string and wax beans, and corn. I found I have to weave kale, parsley and carrot tops through the cage bars, or sometimes I clip a bunch to the cage with a wooden clothespin. You can also try squash, (cooked and mashed) zuchinni (cooked or raw, in strips). Also try tiny bits of bell peppers. Mine like them, and also like dried chili peppers. It is a struggle to get them to eat any fruits. Mine will eat strips (using a veg. peeler) of apple, tiny bits of mangos, and they will eat a wedge of watermelon or musk melon if they are in the mood. I put that on a paper plate, and they all start pecking at it. Keep trying new foods and new ways to prepare and present it. Lovebirs are challanging, and food is no exception, but once they find a food they like, they will usually stick with it.

Thanks

lol as I'm reading this I've taken out my lovebird's food and stuck in a plate of strawberries in his cage lol... hopefully he'll at least peck at it