Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

What is "normal" egglaying?

Dangerous or "Normal?" ??? After having a 4-yr old hen lay apprx. 10 eggs, there is a pattern to her appearance and her behavior prior to laying. She tends to lay when no one is around. Last night she laid in full view, and it was heart-stopping. The question is: is this normal? She expressed the egg and pink tissue which completely covered the egg, to the point there was an alarming, small-fingertip sized external mass which then slowly dilated at the posterior end, expanding to the midpoint, at which time the egg dropped and all of the prolapsed tissue retracted. Ten minutes later she was bright eyed, animated, and acting as if nothing happened. We were in shock. Has anyone witnessed this, or actually seen an egg delivered? We can find nothing on the 'net addressing this.
    Last edited by Budgies4ever; 07-24-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks

Re: What is "normal" egglaying?

Not many people have seen a budgie lay the egg. If she was happy afterwards, then I wouldnt be worried. BTW, where does she lay these eggs??? You say its the 10th egg, is she trying to have a clutch? If she isnt trying to have a clutch and doesnt even have a nestbox and is just laying them for no reason out in the open, then that is a serious problem. If she continues, her body will eventually run out of nutrients to make the eggs properly which would result in, egg binding, eggs that dont even develop the shells, or a dead hen!
    Can you please provide more info?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

Thank you for the reply. She deposits the egg where ever she happens to be. One was laid in a box which we provided, but she seemed oblivious to it immediately afterward. We are concerned about calcium depletion, so she has 2 cuttlebones, a mineral block, vitamins, daily broccoli, corn, carrots, and parsley (which she seems to love to "bathe" on as well as nibble). This last egg was soft and "imploded" as is dried. Any information or advice would be welcome.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Budgies4ever
    Dangerous or "Normal?" ??? After having a 4-yr old hen lay apprx. 10 eggs,
    ack! DANGEROUS!!! 10 eggs is waaaay too many eggs, and this is a health issue. whenever a bird starts laying and you are not a breeder, you need to make efforts to stop the bird from laying and put her into a normal mode (as opposed to a laying mode).

She expressed the egg and pink tissue which completely covered the egg, to the point there was an alarming, small-fingertip sized external mass which then slowly dilated at the posterior end, expanding to the midpoint, at which time the egg dropped and all of the prolapsed tissue retracted.
    she is in danger of prolapsing, and you need to get her to a vet asap, as well as stop her from laying.

1. rearrange her cage completely, even moving the cage location of you can.
    2. 12+ hours of darkness every night. if her cage is in a room where activity happens past bedtime, you need to move it.
    3. hopefully, she is a pellet eater already cuz the ideal would be pellets only for a while- NO SEED. and just a bare minimum for her- no abundance.
    4. if you have other birds, allow them to play in her cage.
    5. do you know who she percieves as her mate? cuz that relationship needs to be cooled. if she has a budgie friend, separate them. if it's a human, make sure you keep physical contact to hear head, neck & feet only. no wings, back or tail touching.
    6. REMOVE THE BOX and any other nesty area (dark cavity) NOW. you should not encourage egg laying. parrots are not chickens- they only lay when conditions are right, not all the time. their bodies are not built to lay all the time.

please keep us posted, as this is a really serious issue!

soft eggs are also a warning cry- she has depleted most of her calcium & has none left to give to the egg shells!!! you need to bosst her calcium & stop her from laying NOW.

Thanks

This last egg was soft and "imploded" as is dried.
    Oh no, that is a very serious problem. As Dani said, she has depleted all of her egg making nutrients and that could be disasterous if she continued to try to produce eggs. Do what Dani has listed there to try to stop her from producing eggs.
    Also, is there a male with her? If so, do you have another cage so you can get them seperated for some time until the hen settles down and forgets about egg laying?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

Thank you both, Finch and Squawk; 1) I will call our vet immediately. There is no amount I would not spend to preserve one of these precious little lives. 2) I suspect others might be equally uncertain just what is "normal" for an egglaying hen. We were frankly stunned at seeing this, but did not know what to do, and she seemed perfectly happy, animated, and even playful ten minutes later and been normal all weekend since. 3) We've tried to be proactive in providing nutrients, vegetables, and a number of vitamin/calcium sources which she seems to regularly enjoy. Short of a medical procedure (e.g...injection?) is there any other supplementation that would help?
    Again, thank you.

Thanks

See if she will also like some eggshells. Those provide a ton of calcium for her. Just simply after you crack some eggs open for breakfast, save the egg shell and give it a rinse, then toss it in the microwave for about 20 seconds to kill any bacteria. My birds like it when I give them the whole piece and they can chip off bits but you might have to crush it and sprinkle over her food. Good Luck!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

Followup: 1) Talking to the vet, her 10 eggs over a year (logged dates for reference) is not itself that unusual, 2) the expressed tissue is actually her egg-gland "uterus" and sometimes does travel out as in this event, and if the egg had not passed would have been indeed an emergency, 3) lots of calcium is good, and a shot can be administered in some cases, 4) budgies laying need lots of water, and might even be given eyedroppers to make them drink, as water is apparently vital for the egg formation as well as for sufficient lubrication at delivery. I will immediately take Finch's & Squawk's advice to change her surroundings and routine in hopes of disrupting the egglaying. Finally, it might be helpful to put up a resource on this website to help pet owners understand what is and what it not "normal." When at 2am your budgie's condition alarms you, and you just do not know what you are looking at, it truly helps to have somewhere to go. Moderators might consider it, as there seem to be others concerned about egglaying also. Thank you again, Finch & Squawk.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Hi Geoffrey, to Tailfeathers.

I am not a breeder at all, and have never bred birds, but I do have some experience with the problems cause by egg laying. Dani has given you some good tips on discouraging laying. From a health point of view, I would suggest supplementing her diet whilst she is laying with a good calcium/D3 supplement.

If worst comes to the worst and she is laying excessively and developing problems, there is a hormone injection you can get for her at the vets called Lupron, which shuts down the ovary for 1 year. It doesn't work 100% for every bird though, but has a high success rate. I don't like to interfere using hormones, and would only suggest using this as a very last resort.

I have a short article about problems related to egg laying that you may like to read: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b.../egglaying.php

Good luck, and I hope she stops laying.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I think I need some advice. My son's budgie has just had two eggs in the past two days. She is in a cage on her own with no other bird. She likes to sit in a trophy beside her cage when she is out so I have taken it away to see if this will help stop the egg producing. Can someone tell me how to stop her producing any more eggs please.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    G
    Thanks

Update: Chloe apparently does not know she is a "determinate layer" and seems to lay a random number, separated by weeks or perhaps more than a month of inactivity. Her 3rd egg on 9/12/05 again needed help. Following some excellent and greatly appreciated advice from Wolfryder, warm water, some sterile oil, and EXTREMELY careful, gentle manipulation of the expressed tissue, and the egg delivered. It seems to almost "dry up" half way out, thus liquids may be determinative. An immediate trip for a week out of state seems to have discouraged egg laying, until yesterday 10/08/05, followed tonight 36 hours later by a second. Perhaps todays efforts to disrupt her environment led to early laying, and the short time did not suffice for production of a thick shell.
    She is otherwise happy, bright eyed, active, and seems to be healthy. We continue multiple calcium therapies, and hope to distract her, but also wonder what is a "normal" annual schedule for non-fertile egg laying? Also, thank you Finch, BMG, and WolfR for your observations & input. If we cannot dissuade her, a hormal treatment as suggested may be necessary.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Sometimes the hormone treatment (lupron) is what it takes to stop this cycle of laying. We currently have our egg making machine Babybird on lupron injections because she has raised 3 clutches since last January. Clutch #1 came at the end of January, clutch #2 came at at the end of May, and clutch #3 came at the beginning of the 2nd week of August. Since roughly the beginning of the 2nd week of September she has laid 7 unfertile eggs. We have done all the things suggested in previous posts to try to get her out of this egg laying mode and it didn't work for her. With our other hens (7 others), these techniques are successful, however Babybird just can't seem to shut down the hormones. Our only other options were to either have her spayed (that is NOT an option we took seriously because a budgies chances of surviving the surgery are minimal) or having the lupron injections. We chose the lupron. The treatment she is receiving is one injection every 2 weeks for 6 weeks for a total of 3 injections. Hopefully this will calm her hormones down and in the not too distant future we will be able to return her to the rest of our herd. Perhaps this is the direction you may need to go in to help your bird.