Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no...Here we go again...The sequel!!!

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Oh no...Here we go again...The sequel!!!

It seems that in spite of our best efforts to curb the hormonal urges of Babybird and Dory, true lust has won out. Baby actually laid...more accurately, dropped an egg while sitting on a perch...a week ago last Thursday. The egg ended up dented and cracked and therefore not viable. At this time she had been separated from Dory for a few days so this would also have not been fertile. We had her with us at Jenn's parents for her father's birthday and she was in her cage in the dining room with us at the time. It made for some very interesting dinner conversation considering that none of us had actually seen her lay an egg before. We always found them after the fact. We were keeping her separated from the rest of the herd to try and calm her hormones down and it did seem to be working as she did not lay anymore eggs. However, a few days later she went on a hunger strike as she was so depressed about being kept away from the other birds. We finally decided in the interest of her well being and health to let her see her 2 babies that Peachie's parents will be taking. This didn't have much of a positive effect since they have been weaned for some time. Out of desperation to perk her up we brought Dory upstairs to the room and instantly Baby's mood changed. These two birds really seemed to be over joyed to see each other. The chirping and singing was incredible. Baby also almost immediately decided she was hungry and dove into a food bowl, hardly stopping to breathe between beak fulls of food. We then decided to take our chances and reunite her with the rest of the herd. She was in heaven. It also appeared that the hormonal hurricane was over because she and Dory just seemed happy to see each other but there was none of the courting behaviour going on. This went on for about a week. Things were looking good. Wrong...yesterday Baby started flying heavy. Noisier wings, less altitude, heavier landings etc...we also caught them doing the "deed". Soooo...around 6PM yesterday I checked in the box(yes, we put it in...Baby, Dory doing the deed means eggs) and there was egg number 1...and so..."Oh no...Here we go again...The sequel!!!"
    Last edited by Sir Peter of Canada; 07-26-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: Oh no...Here we go again...The sequel!!!

I saw this thread and I just thought ... Oh god! \

What are you guys going to do?

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

Oh my! Looks like they can't have enough of each other! I sure hope she'll be okay after all that egg-laying!

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Oh my word! That little hussy! LOL Seriously, I hope she'll be okay.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

We'll be keeping a very close eye on her to make sure she's ok. She is on a vet recommended calcium supplement to help replenish her reserves, has access to cuttlebone, mineral blocks and is also on a pretty healthy diet. Baby is also one of our healthiest and strongest birds, so if any of them can handle it, she can. However, this does not preclude us from watching her closely. Dory on the other hand may get a little worn out from all the grocery runs Baby sends him on. He also seems to be more attentive this time around...experience being a good teacher...also...egg number 2 was discovered at around 5:30pm today...the saga continues.
    Thanks for the thoughts for her well being...it is appreciated.

Hatched!
    Thanks

Oh wow, more feathers!
    Rainbow

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

poor you! (and birdie) i can't remember, what have you done to break her cycle of laying?

here are what i recommend:
    1. change her cage completely. maybe even put her in a totally different cage. in a dofferent part of the room. with completely different toys & perches.
    2. remove anything remotely nestlike (huts, tents, even a particular food dish)
    3. only feed low fat pellets, and then just 1 T at a time, 2-3 times a day. no abundance- enough to sustain her, but not babies. NO SEED, NUTS, Dairy or high fat items. also no sweet potatoes/yams for a while (phytoestrogens- feed carrots instead)
    4. take her perceived mate into another room.
    5. allow your other budgies to play in her cage (if that's where she lays, or anywhere else she feels is her territory privately).
    6. 12 hours of total darkness at night.

good luck. whew!

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Thanks Dani (and everyone else) for your concern and advice. Certainly this is not the most ideal of situations. However, we made a conscious decision to tell everyone about everything that happens with regard to our flock when it comes to breeding...both good and bad. As you well know, breeding is not something to be entered into lightly, and unforeseen problems can arise around every corner despite the best of intentions and plans.

Baby laid her first clutch in January of this year. As soon as her babies began to spend a fair amount of time outside of the nest box, I whisked it away and began to change things around in her cage. When, after a while, she began to wean the babies and started to attempt to 'lure' Little Timothy back into the old cage, we tried first locking the cage during the day to all but Baby and her babies, moving Little Timothy out of the cage entirely, and finally moving the cage across the room.

We even had Little Timothy locked up in a separate cage at times so Baby couldn't get at him! This worked well for a while, and went hand-in-hand with his need for a personal diet.

Unfortunately, by May, Baby had her sights on Dory instead. It wasn't long before, despite our efforts to separate them, they had managed to produce eggs of their own. We had absolutely no nesting-type items around, but Baby didn't care...she laid that first egg right on top of the large cage! At that point, we gave her the nest box she wanted, and she continued to lay the other eggs every 2 days after that as expected.

This time around, we again removed the nest box as quickly as possible. There was no other nesting item around. We changed the set up of the cage. We locked Dory out of the cage. We moved Baby upstairs for a week. She became more and more lonely. We tried to change her mind a little by bringing her to my parents house so she wouldn't constantly hear the other birds. She laid an egg at the dinner table!

We removed the egg because it was leaking, and after all...she would lay another in two days, right?? Wrong! I have never heard of a budgie laying only one egg. Apparently it can happen. After this, Baby became very quiet and depressed and stopped eating. She was no longer pooping, and it was now late Saturday night and all the vets would be closed until Monday.

We brought up her babies, and she was acting as if she was afraid of them. It was almost as if she didn't recognize them. So we brought up Dory. The minute they heard each other, as we brought him up the steps, they both exploded with energy!

Dory snapped out of the funk he had been in, and Baby began eating again, with zeal! That was after the 5 minute dance-fest they had together. Dory's eyes were so pinned that he looked like he had gone blind! Baby has always been so healthy and active, that to see her go downhill, and then to see her snap back like that brought me to tears.

This was our dilemma: We know it's not a good thing for a bird to triple-clutch. We know it's not a good thing for a bird to be depressed and not eat. Our birds are so incredibly flock-bonded that removing any one of them and putting them into a cage in another part of our home is almost like taking a wild bird and forcing it into captivity away from its family. We've seen many of our birds decline rapidly when they are removed from the flock, even for a short time.

The vets at the clinic we go to know this. They are a great group of women, all working under one avian vet, and they are an excellent team. They realize that we have a bit of a unique situation that requires some extra thought at times. We take great care with our birds, and are frequent visitors to the clinic. We weigh our birds regularly with a digital scale and keep records to notice even the slightest change. We are quite attuned to changes in our birds' appearance and individual demeanour as well.

That being said, this can all be taken as a caution to anyone deciding to breed. We have 8 females. For 7 of them, so far, a combination of reducing the number of daylight hours, removing all possible items that may be seen as nesting places, creating a sense of ongoing change (cage layout and placement, toys), and not providing a ton of excess food, seems to go a long way in reducing the urge to lay eggs.

However, there will always be some hens who "just wanna lay". There are alternatives...like a series of injections that a vet can inject to reduce the hormone levels in an individual bird...but at this point, this is a little too far for us to go.

We're lucky, at this point, that this is happening to our most healthy, physically-fit, robust bird.

Please know, though, that although we both like to joke about things, we are very serious about the care of our birds.

Thank you again for all of your concern.

Jenn

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Hey Jen,
    I really hope you don't have to go to the extreme of injections on Baby. Surely in the winter she'll settle down (cross fingers & toes here)

She sounds like such a good mommy too. I'm sure she'll be fine

I know what you mean about separating out one of the flock. They get quiet and the one that's separated gets frantic and then doesn't make any sound for a long time. then all the sudden it's loud constant calling, as at our house they can hear all over the house.

Carol

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Yes Carol,

We're really hoping she does settle down as the season changes...or perhaps the boys will.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to look into an even darker cover to put over her cage...possibly stricter dietary controls.

Jenn

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

For those of you keeping count...I know we are, egg #3 was discovered earlier this evening. Baby is certainly following the same egg schedule as her other two clutches...just how many she will lay is yet to be determined.
    Carol...yes, Baby is a very good mother and as I mentioned before, Dory seems to be more attentive this time around which bodes well for both Baby and the babies to come.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ben
    Thanks

Wow, Baby seems to be unstoppable! What a love machine. But judging from her previous clutches, she'll probably do a fine job in raising them. With the help of Dory of course. Good luck to you both...and Baby.
    -Ben
    BEN'S BUDGIES

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Egg #4 was discovered around 6:00pm yesterday(Friday July 29). Will there be a number five...if her schedule is any indicator...she will either stop at 4 or we will find another one around the same time tomorrow. Stay tuned for further reports...

Just a girl Brand New Egg scoobery's Avatar
    Name
    Shelley
    Thanks

ooo talk about keeping us in suspense! Did you get number 5?
    From the keyboard (and beaks) of Shelley, Budge, Parrot, Foreskin, Monkey, Peanut & Tiny!

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoobery
    ooo talk about keeping us in suspense! Did you get number 5?
    Sorry about that...no, there was no egg #5. She stopped at 4 and all of them are fertile. Egg #1 is due to hatch around Wednesday or Thursday of this week. We are anxiously awaiting what we hope will be 4 strong, healthy babies. Babybird is being her usual dedicated mother bird self and only leaves the eggs basically to poop (massive, of course) power play for a moment, sometimes grab a quick bite to eat and then it's back to the egg sitting. She sends Dory on grocery runs constantly, so he is probably wondering...why did I want to be a daddy again so soon...
    We'll keep you updated...

Remove Ads