Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Red face How do I get rid of the bird smell??

MY room smells like BIRD! Like, I dont mind smelling my bird but I dont want my room and everything in it to smell like that! I had a glade plug in fan for a while but took it off when i leanred it was bad.. plus it didnt really do a good job at covering the smell! I work at disney and get alot of guests everyday.. i KNOW who has pets without even having to ask them! I dont want to become them! I dont wanna walk by people and have them smell my birds!

Also, my bird isnt acting abnormal but every now and then ill hear the tinyest wheeze.. its not every time she breathes but its still there. She isnt sneezing like she used to and i believe its because ive been sleeping without my celing fan on and dying of heat instead.. because i luv her so much! So i havent really given her a good bath in a few days Could that be the problem? Her cage is clean. Ive been keeping up with it and just scrubbed it earlier this week.. Could that be why my room smells? because shes a dirty bird and needs a bath? what do you guys and girls do to keep the smell away? and is there any thing non toxic for birds besides the bath that could clear my room of the smell? Like a good spray or something?

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: How do I get rid of the bird smell??

do you give your bird a shower every other day or so? I have 11 birds, 8 budgies and 3 tiels and my house doesn't smell like "bird". What do you use as bedding in the bottom of the cage? How often do you change the bottom of the cage?

A lot of times, if you use bedding, the bacteria can grow pretty quickly. If she drops her fresh food down in there, it will also start to "rot" and stink.

I use newspaper and change it everyday. I also have an air purifier. Do you cover her cage at night with a sheet/cloth? Then you should be able to run the fan. Also, she may be sneezing because of what is stinking up the room, especially if it's not her!

Also, when I first got Vader, he stank, regardless of showering him. Until I got his diet changed, that is.

Have you ever taken your bird to an avian vet to have her checked out? I'm not commenting on how you're keeping your bird, I'm just asking for information so I or someone else can hopefully have better answers.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Well even with the cage covered, my room gets pretty cold. We will be taking her to the vet within the next few days to check her out. I did use to use corn cob bedding which i just read from my tiel book could cause respratory problems too. I now use news paper and i do change it every day. Shes not a big fan of fresh foods but i still try to give them to her. Before I heard her wheeze, i was bathing her every other day. Im just scared she might catch a really bad chill if i bathe her now because we have central AC. As for her sneezing being caused by something else stinking up the room.. the only thing i can imagine it was would have been the glade plug in but thats gone now and i still think it was the fan.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

i still think it was the fan.

and it could very well be. When I shower my tiels, I don't have the A/C on high (it's about 76-78 F in the house) and even then I towel dry them off before taking them out of the bathroom. In the winter, when it's actually colder in the house, I use the blowdryer, set on the lightest setting (warm, low) and keep the dryer moving, with my hand there to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Once I've pretty much dried them, I take them out of the bathroom.

If she checks out okay, I would suggest you might want to get an air purifier. We have a whole house one that is great for keeping our allergies in check, even with the tiels It also helps eleminate a lot of other stinky smells in the house

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

I know that Abby really did smell nasty when I brought her home. I think that she did not get too many baths at the pet store. Now I just let the birds shower with me.

**Also after the birds have their shower I put them in their cages with the night time covers on so they wont get chilled.

An air purifier could be good but if you were using litter that may have been a problem. It may look cleaner than it actually is because it can kind of hide the poo. I use regular ole newspaper and change every day or every other day and we dont have a problem with smells.

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Air purifiers are definitely good for this kind of thing. If it's a small room and not too strong of a smell, you could make do with an ionic breeze, but if it's worse than that, you'd need something more powerful. My air purifier can obliterate the smell of a cockatiel, an african grey, and three ferrets. ^_^

http://www.ecoquestintl.com/productg...uct_guide.asp#

At home, we have the Fresh Air purifier to cover approximately 1500 square feet. When I go off to college, I have a BreezeAT to handle the smaller environment (but with the same amount of messy animals ^_^).

But if it's just your room, an Ionic Breeze would probably be good enough... And the change of bedding might also do the trick. A single cockatiel shouldn't have too much of a smell... (unless you have all six of the dudes in your signature hanging out in your room! ^_^)

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

hmmm. that is strange, cuz i don't think birds have an ambient smell most of the time (excited pis excluded). i have 6 small parrots, but it's the cats that are the stinky family members.

how often do your birds bathe? mine do every other day or every day.

how often do you clean the cage? mine get their liners changed & poop scraped off daily, and disinfected weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica
    I had a glade plug in fan for a while but took it off when i leanred it was bad.. plus it didnt really do a good job at covering the smell!
    blech. yes, they are bad. so are most commercial "fresheners". do not use them. clean is always the best way to have a place smell OK- do not try & mask dirty.

Also, my bird isnt acting abnormal but every now and then ill hear the tinyest wheeze.. its not every time she breathes but its still there. She isnt sneezing like she used to
    that should be checked out. seriously. birds are susceptible to a lot of airborne toxins that you may not even notice. new homes, remodels, carpet, furniture, etc are huge culprits, as are commericail cleaners & toiletries.

because ive been sleeping without my celing fan on and dying of heat instead.. because i luv her so much!
    be sure & cover her with an opaque cloth BEFORE you turn on the fan. ceiling fans freak birds out. a circling hovering thing overhead = hawk.

and is there any thing non toxic for birds besides the bath that could clear my room of the smell? Like a good spray or something?
    do NOT use a spray. you need to get used to what things smell like normally- chemicals are the things that stink, not birds! all the sprays are BAD for your bird and may be contributing to the wheezing. even if they are used in another room only. get rid of them.

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

One note about ionic breeze type air purifiers I found out they are bad for people with breathing problems aka asthma, etc. They create ozone which is bad for ppl with asthma. I was looking into buying one myself but my doctor told me that this would make my breathing worse not better and I know I dont want any more asthma problems!

Name
    Erica
    Thanks

Dani, When I meant spray i was sort of reffering to this one that i read about in another post.. one that you actually considered selling in your store but because of something about pyramid sellers or something you didnt? Im sorry i didnt quite understand the pyramid thing..

And baby doesnt exactly STINK but its like normal bird smell times 5. Its not horrible its just something im not exactly used to smelling in my room.

I do cover all of my birds so she never saw the fan in motion but the room did get pretty chilly. I have been putting it on low so that it isnt HOT but it isnt cold either. Its comfortable now.

And yes sarah, I thought the bedding looked neater for a cage than a newspaper with poop i guess because the poop falls between the bedding but its back to paper now for both cages.

Pho, im gonna check out the link. I saw that you posted it in another thread but i never checked it out. I dont keep all six birds in my room just the tiel. And wow it must be really good to get the smell of all the animals out and keep allergies down too! I think ferrets are cute but i can never stay near them for long because in all pet stores, they SMELL BAD!

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

I think ferrets are cute but i can never stay near them for long because in all pet stores, they SMELL BAD!
    Hehehe, in defense of ferrets, they NEVER smell like that after you take them home. The problem is that pet stores often use weird-smelling bedding, don't clean the cage enough, and never bathe the ferrets. My ferrets don't smell bad at all -- you can't even smell them unless you hold them up to your nose. It's the uncleaned litter boxes that smell bad. ^_^

Er, anyway... I hope you find a way to get rid of the smell. It IS weird for one bird to be smelling so strong, so hopefully you'll figure out what the source of the problem is and be able to take care of that. Let us know if the bedding change has any positive effects!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Dani, When I meant spray i was sort of reffering to this one that i read about in another post.. one that you actually considered selling in your store but because of something about pyramid sellers or something you didnt? Im sorry i didnt quite understand the pyramid thing..
    ah, oxyfresh cleaning gele. yes, that's safe. OK- i thought you meant aerosol air freshener or something. i get it now!

And baby doesnt exactly STINK but its like normal bird smell times 5. Its not horrible its just something im not exactly used to smelling in my room.
    perhaps you have a bird that needs more bathing, then. i have a tiel client who is soooooooo dusty, even though he takes daily showers. perhaps yours is like that...

And yes sarah, I thought the bedding looked neater for a cage than a newspaper with poop i guess because the poop falls between the bedding but its back to paper now for both cages.
    ah yes. looking neater & being neater are two very different things. newspaper is cleaner.