where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Kitten

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Kitten

Kitten, my sweet tortie cat, died Sunday August 7th quickly (and hopefully peacefully) at home. she was 16.

kitten arrived in my life when i was living in valparaiso, indiana. it seems the piano store downtown had brought a box of kittens in and were handing them out to any snot-nosed kid who wanted one without their parents present. i was horrified. i called the store" "do you have any kittens left?" (my plan was to take them all & find GOOD homes.) "yes, just one- but she's not here at the store- she's at home."

"i'll take her!" after i hung up, i wondered why she wasn't being given away with the others. when they arrived to deliver my kitten the next day, there was a TINY cat (no bigger than the palm of my hand, not including the fingers) with a big peach bow around her neck/ she promptly sneezed when i looked at her. her eyes & nose were crusty.

"she's a little sick", they explained. "she's the runt of the litter." and handed me a bottle of boric acid (to clean her eyes). i kept looking at this tiny frail thing and didn't even notice they had left.

luckily, my cat spike had just gotten over an infection, and i had some pink stuff still in the fridge. i gave her a bit each day for a week, and cleaned her eyes. after a week, she was better. (i was 18 & poor, and could barely afford the vet visit for spike- thank goodness she got better.)

my boyfriend at the time didn't want another cat. so he suggested that i not name her since i was going to find a good home and not keep her. needless to say, chuck is not in my life any more, but "kitten" stayed with me through the end of hers.

since spike was insanely jealous of kitten, i took her with me. she was quiet, fit in a pocket, and was well behaved. so kitten & i went to restaurants, movies, the beach together.

kitten moved with me from indiana to chicago. chicago to austin, TX. TX to philadelphia, philly to boston. boston to sf, and sf to oakland. each place that i stayed for more than a year were new apartment moves within the city, too. kitten was a constant in my life when there were no others- people, places, things- all were left in a trail of dust by me & kitten.

kitten got a new sister, emma, when spike died in boston of hemobartinello (some blood disease i cannot spell). emma was from the pound. kitten got a new brother, malcolm, when we moved to SF. she got a second mom in 1998 when dani met julia, and julia moved in in 1999. she got avian sisters (PJ, francis, muttonchop, coby, monkey mcbean, and tengu) once we moved to the east bay. so she is survived by a family that grieves her passing.

goodbye, sweet kitten.
    Last edited by Squawk and Howl; 08-08-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: Kitten

Oh Dani, I'm so sorry! I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved family member. Peace to all of you left here. Kitten already has found peace and doesn't hurt anymore.

Carol

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

RIP Kitten
    So sorry for your loss.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

You gave kitten a wonderful, caring and long life. It is so difficult to lose a friend that ways always there with and for you. I am very sorry for your loss.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

That was a wonderful uelogy (sp?) I enjoyed it very much. I am so sorry for your loss. Its really hard, especially after 16 years with Kitten. Remember her in your heart and she will always be with you. :::tear in eye::: sigh.
    PUERTO RICO

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Oh Dani!

I'm sorry you had to part ways, after you've been through so much and traveled so far together.

Sadly, she must make this journey alone, but she carries with her, a lifetime of rich memories and the love and warmth you provided for her throughout her time here.

Thanks for sharing Kitten's story. I honestly shed tears as I read about her, and its because I could feel the love you put into it. That will never fade.

Rest in peace sweet Kitten.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss I'm sorry I just read it.
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

I'm sooo sorry about kitten! I'm sure she meant alot to you. I know this is a little late but this is the first time i've been to this part of the forum.
    Lindsey

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Sorry for your loss, sounds like Kitten had a great life, i bet she was glad that you were the one who took her home from that piano store.

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

I'm sorry about your cat.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Name
    Chrissy
    Thanks

That was a touching Story and I know it hurt when you lost her I have been their myself before. My heart goes out to you.