Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

Does anyone here have experience with having "American" budgies (not the English budgies, but rather the smaller ones) in cages with an actual half inch bar spacing between the bars? If so, how did you feel about the safety of the bar spacing? How close was it to the size of your bird's actual head? Did you ever have any problems?

I have read that this half inch spacing is safe for budgies. But experientially, I have always had cages with the smaller 3/8" or 7/16" spacing. So, I personally have no direct experience with the half inch.

And quite frankly, if I may embarrass myself a little bit here, I seem to have no real sense of how wide my bird's actual head is versus how much of what I see is feathers -- I am not a visual person. My partner is more visual and says it should be fine, but I am my bird's primary person, it is my responsibility and my love, and I need to feel a little more clear on the situation.

I am asking this question because I may have found a solution to the frustrating cage dilemma I posted about in the Budgie Care section. But this possible solution would mean half-inch bar spacing between 1/8 inch thick stainless steel bars; the spacing just doesn't come any smaller than that. I would have to order the cage without having him in or near it as it would be coming from another state. And I couldn't return it because it would be custom built.

I would like to hear about the actual experiences -- good, bad, or anywhere in-between -- that anyone has had with having the smaller version of the budgie people in cages with half inch spaces between the bars.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Re: Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

I have SEEN budgies actually squeeze through bar spaces. I also had one that did this. The smaller the better.
    PUERTO RICO

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Luna1285
    I have SEEN budgies actually squeeze through bar spaces. I also had one that did this. The smaller the better.
    I'm confused. Do you mean you have seen budgies squeeze through half inch bar spacing? But not the smaller spacing? What sizes of bar spacing prevents the danger you have observed?

I am going to have to choose between a surgical grade stainless steel cage that is made really well but has half inch bar spacing, and the kind of cage that has smaller spacing but is not very well made and at the best is going to have powder-coat problems like easy chipping or poor coverage of some areas.

What I have found is that the smaller than half inch bar spacing tends only to come on the relatively poorly made cages, at least for what I am seeking, which can't be welded onto a stand, has to be portable. I don't know what the situation is with the ones welded onto stands but those are not an option in my situation.

So, while I do feel that smaller bars are better, I also believe that crappy cage materials can be dangerous too.

Could you say some more about *specifically* what bar spacing you have seen budgies squeeze through, and what bar spacing you feel, based on your experiences, is necessary to prevent that, I would appreciate it very much.

I am going to have to choose the risks and I need to be informed and whatever way I choose, there will be dangers.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Re: Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

My budgies cage bars are half inch (12.5mm) spaced, I actually measured it earlier today for a different post. There is no way in Hades that any of my critters are going to get their head through the bars and I have american and american english crosses. They use the bars to preen their heads, so I can say conclusively that an ordinary budgie couldn't squeeze their heads through a half inch gap.

Half inch is the most common cage bar gap for budgie cages, but the largest you want to get though, any larger and they might be able to get their heads in, but more likely they'll get something else caught or stuck.

I would definately go for the surgical grade cage because good quality cages aren't always easy to come by.

She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

1/2" should be OK- but there's always one bird who is an exception. it's not about heads so much as wings- you don't want them flapping and getting a wing stuck between bars. wider the gap=more possibility for that.

my budgie PJ is a skinny lil thing, not like her sister/lover francis. i don;t know how she manages! lil houdini! she can squeeze through any cage i give them, so it's always been a pain...

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Dee
    Thanks

There are always exceptions to every rule, but 1/2" should be fine for budgies.
    The petting zoo that owns me:

5 cats - Emma, Cece, Stoney, Ana and Tigger
    2 budgies, Pete and Repeat
    1 cockatiel, Fonzie
    I Pacific parrotlet, Tiki
    2 freshwater tropical fish tanks
    1 fancy goldfish tank

I also get visitation with a Quaker parrot when my boyfriend comes to visit. . .

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

I use half inch bar spacing for waxbills and sunbirds (much smaller than budgies)... You should have no problem with it this size.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

I have had no problem with 1/2 inch bar spacing, exept my one american budgie who actually squeezed through the bars! It sounds crazy, it is crazy but it happened. But yes, generally, 1/2 inch and smaller is fine.
    PUERTO RICO

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Red face Re: Half inch bar spacing for budgies: I may just be seeking reassurance here, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Squawk and Howl
    1/2" should be OK- but there's always one bird who is an exception. it's not about heads so much as wings- you don't want them flapping and getting a wing stuck between bars. wider the gap=more possibility for that.

my budgie PJ is a skinny lil thing, not like her sister/lover francis. i don;t know how she manages! lil houdini! she can squeeze through any cage i give them, so it's always been a pain...
    1. Huh. The wing thing never occurred to me. I am trying to picture a budgie getting a wing *stuck* between bars. I could see them getting caught mid-stroke (eeek! another thing to be worried about, though honestly I have never ever seen this happen in 20+ years of having budgies) .. but do you actually mean "stuck" as in can't get the wing out?

2. So what do you do for a cage for PJ? I'm asking out of curiosity mainly, as my budgie is pretty robust sized and apparently unlikely to be able to squeeze like that ....

2. Tangentially: PJ and her "sister/lover", that is so adorable! My partner and I have 2 gerbils with that relationship. We are a very queer household. (couple of human lesbians, sister/lover gerbils and I am pretty sure my budgie is pansexual).