where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Watery Poop Concern

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Watery Poop Concern

I posted last week about my tiel Mango having a possible night fright and the fact the she lost about 15 flight feathers one night.

Since that night she has been suffering with watery poop. I've looked online for information on it and I am pretty sure it's excessive urine that she has, but I have no idea why.

I did phone the breeder I bought her from last year and she thought it could be stress that was causing it and to wait a couple of weeks for it to settle down.

Although she is eating, drinking and playing fine, she is definately different. I have noticed that she is much quieter and whereas before she woudl chirp a lot and really make a lot of loud noise when we entered or left the room she is in, she doesn't do that now.

She has also been a bit more nippy than usual, but I put that down to her being stressed at not being able to fly very well now. Having said that her feathers are already slowly coming through and she is now able to fly again, albeit not that well.

Is it possible that stress can do this to a bird? I'm really worried that she could actually be sick or something as she doesn't seem to be getting any better with her watery poops.

I emailed an avian vet earlier this week and in his reply he said that her symptoms were signs of calcium deficiency and also suggested that feeding her pellets was wrong. I can't say I was terribly impressed with his response.

Thankfully the Parrot Society have found me an avian vet about an hour from where I live, so I have made an appointment for tomorrow as I can't stop worrying that she is sick.

I am going to take a poop sample with me and wondered what the best way is of collecting one. I have put white paper towels in the bottom of her cage for tonight, but I guess the poop will just get absorbed into that.

I would love to hear if anyone else has had this kind of problem with their bird.

Lyn

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Re: Watery Poop Concern

She really needs to see an AVIAN vet! Birds go downhill QUICk so if you are really concerned, I would go get treatment SOON.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply Luna. Yeah I agree she needs to see a vet, I guess I was just hoping the breeder was right when she said it was just stress.

She still seems very bright and alert, her fleathers aren't fluffed up and she's not on the bottom of her cage or anything, but my instinct tells me that something is wrong.

I am just so relieved that I have actually managed to find an avian vet, I never realised before just how hard it is over here to find one. I have got an appointment for first thing in the morning, so I am hoping she will be okay.

Lyn

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Thats great. I am glad she will see a vet, and you will be relieved to get her treated, if needed. Could be stress, sickness, who knows? They say veggies can cause wattery droppings, but if you feel something is wrong, go with that feeling and act on it. Hope it turns out to be something minor...
    Last edited by Luna1285; 08-12-2005 at 03:52 PM.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

someone posted last week or so about using waxed paper, then folding it over and putting it in a sandwich (one of those little plastic thingies) bag or a ziplock bag to take to the vets.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

If that method is to be used, make sure the poop is fresh!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Thanks for that tip Carol, I will try that and hopefully that will work.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hi!

I wanted to ease your mind a bit when I read your post about your tiel's night fright, the amount of feathers she broke, and her watery poop and behavior in the weeks following.

Likely, she busted quite a few near to the tips of her wings and has some swelling and irritation. Couple that with the new ones growing in, she's probably having discomfort, and its probably painful for her which could account for alot of the behavioral changes and stress she's under.

She should likely see a vet just to make certain she's okay and not going to start plucking, plus to make certain nothing was damaged, but its likely the source of her attitude and watery poop culprit. I had a similar situation occur with my tiel Neo. He busted SO many feathers on his wings it actually brought out a lurking respitory infection that was hiding in the background. (He's prone to them so I doubt that you have the same thing going on. He had other symptoms). But.. when a bird breaks that many feathers, it can be traumatic.

Just a little fyi and to help ease your mind. A check-up wouldn't hurt but I don't think its something a stool sample will be able to check. A physical exam would be your better course of action.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Thats nice to hear Nicole!
    PUERTO RICO

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

it could be just stress, but it has gone on for a while, and diarrhea (does anyone else have trouble spelling that right the first time? ) for extended periods is not healthy.

is there a ceiling fan in the room she is in? is it on? are there predator pets in the home? what could be stressing her out for prolonged periods? poor thing!

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Squawk and Howl
    is there a ceiling fan in the room she is in? is it on? are there predator pets in the home? what could be stressing her out for prolonged periods? poor thing!
    Asides from the obvious danger of the bird flying into said ceiling fan what other sort of danger or stress could it cause the bird?

I'm sorry but I think your breeder gave you bad advice. You should never wait 'a couple of weeks' for something to go back to normal with a bird. Yes, stress will cause loose droppings but not for weeks after the stressful event. Good to here you have an appointment with the vet. I'm sure everything will turn out ok.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

We don't have a ceiling fan in the room she is in, although we had one right next to the room she used to be in, one of the reasons why when we bought her a new cage we put it in another room away from there and also well away from any main doors where she might possibly try to fly out of.

We've got a dog, a big lazy chocolate brown labrador, and we already had the dog when we got Mango. We've never had any problems with them, in fact Mango quite often walks over the dog whilst making her way from one end of the sofa to the other.

Lyn
    Last edited by Lyn; 08-13-2005 at 05:04 AM.

Remove Ads