Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: introducing?

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Red face introducing?

ok well, 2 weeks have gone past.. indi has tested negative.

Vet is pleased with the changes. now the question arises. Vet says it is up to me to continue quarantine.. or not. she Doesnt see a reason to continue another 2 weeks of it. but its up to me.

so advice on whether to continue to quarantine for another week or two, or go ahead with introductions. i am leaning towards introductions, but wanted some input.

do i start with a short time every day.. two cages next to each other..? or take them both out and put them on a neutral area..? Indi has such a strong personality. while indi isnt nippy.. sweetie is.. so any advice..? to make it as smooth as possible.

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Re: introducing?

bump

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

what was she tested negative for??? I think I missed the test for what she was being tested for!

And for introduction...Personally I would put the cages into the same room for a few days and if you do take them out...pay the same amount of attention to both becuase one or the other will get pretty ****** off! LOL well I know most birds would. But when I introduced my friend's Pionus to Alliee she did just fine! She was more outgoing than the Maximillian! He kept running away and Alliee, which I swear is a dog sometimes, wanted to play! It was very cute!!!!!

Good LUCK!!!!
    Yours Truely, Emily

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Vet did tests for anything i should be worried about. and she is only 1 of two avian vets in the state.. so she knows her stuff.

so yesterday, i introduced them. two cages next to each other with seeds in sweeties cage.. he is converting so THATS a treat and the food bowls in the cages were next to each other.. when sweetie saw the food bowl.. he couldnt care less about anything else. after a while.. sweetie watched indi.. who was showing off like a acrobat.. climbing and hanging.. and every time sweetie chirped.. indi chirped back.. so bout 5 mins later.. they both ended up eating at the same time..

so after another 5 mins of that.. i thought id take them out and see. keeping a very close eye and hand..
    indi climbs to my shoulder.. and sweetie sat on my knee and watched indi. my knee being sweeties fav place.
    then they both started preening.. not even watching the other. when i lifted sweetie to indi.. indi reached out.. and tried to preen sweeties tail.. who was having none of that.. sweetie hissed and climbed down.

im not pushing it though.. they were together for about 30 mins.. when i decided to put them in their cages for a while. of course putting indi in first, then sweetie. i will do that every day for no longer than 30 mins.. to get them used to it. indi is the outgoing one.. sweetie the reserved one..

but first meeting went well.. no wing flapping and screaming.. no lunging towards each other with beaks open.. indi approached sweetie.. who moved away.

next question.. indi likes my shoulder.. where sweetie prefers other body part.. arm, knee etc.. do i need to enforce the sweetie higher position..? or will they work out their own status?

with cats.. i would usually leave them to sort out who fits in where. just make sure there is no bullying or violence.. how does one do this with birds..?

was cute. at one point they were mirroring each others movements.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

sounds promising so far! and the fact that they preened at the same time is a good sign!

i would feed sweetie first and let her out first for a while, but no need to enforce a position sweetie would rather not have...

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

ok.. so up till today, sweetie has shown little or no interest. so ive had them both out together for the last 2 days... but for short times, say an hour at the most, breakfast time, and lunch time. not during dinner, because sweetie still gets very cranky before bed.

so every time indi approaches, sweetie will step away or fly away. indi has been approaching sweetie with her beak open, which gets her a "be nice indi" and only then will she close her beak, but by that time, sweetie has backed away. if they are both on me at this time indi and sweetie both get removed, with a "play nice" couple of times indi has leaned forward to preen sweeties tail but no go.

today.. ind was on the play gym, sweetie, on his cage.. and on me, to no response from indi other than a glare.. so when sweetie wanted onto the play gym.. i put him on.. staying very close just in case...

indi was eating and playing with a piece of string... i wish i had a camera.. was really heartbreaking.. sweetie who never really learnt how to play, was watching indi, with this intense look, and walked up to one of the chew block toys.. and started playing.. imitating indi.. indi did one leaning forward to bite, but backed off once i told her to be nice...

so how does it sound? like its going good..? the most aggressive behaviours, have been open beaks.. and then backing off really quickly..
    im undecided as to whether this is good for 3 days of "together" time?
    what u guys think? they copy each other ALOT... if indi is eating.. sweetie has to eat.. infact.. today i got a almond seed into sweetie for the first time, because indi had one.. sweetie HAD to have one...

any ideas ? good.. bad? lol.. can i hope for buddies at this point?

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

*bump* need some responses to this one..

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

it sounds great so far! and it's wonderful that sweetie is picking up good habits from indi.

i use flock dynamics when i bring in an unsocialized foster bird- getting them to eat better food faster, like scritches, play with toys, learn to step up, etc. it really is great!

Remove Ads