where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Ant control-camicide

what are commas? Teenager carriesb's Avatar
    Name
    carrie
    Thanks

Ant control-camicide

I have ants really bad well my bathroom and outside my apartment they spray outside but I don't like them doing anything inside because of the birds. I've been using camicide and it works great but I ran out does anyone use it and know the best internet site to get it. But also it's active ingredient is pyrethins and I noticed that's what's in those mite and flea sprays even though I would never use them for that purpose I was wondering if they would kill other insects because they sell that at petco and petsmart. Any opinions on my theory of using it for ants?
    Mommy To Budgies Neo and Sky Tiels Dandy and Crackers

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: Ant control-camicide

camicide is avian safe against ants & other insects when you follow the instructions on the label.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

My breeder was selling it. she ships. Don't know if it is a good price or anything. You can e-mail her www.djfeathers.com

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID51280...t-Control.aspx
    PUERTO RICO

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello,
    I have recently moved to Sydney with my family and we are living in an old house. there are so many ants roaming every where specially in my kitchen.
    So please suggest me what are the best way to get rid of ants and what are some quick ways to starve ants out?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kiara; 09-09-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Fixed that for you. I'm not kidding. Do it again, you get banned.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I had a terrible fire ant problem when I lived in a remote desert area. The problem was so bad that I hired a pest control company to spray outdoors, and the company actually let me go to their office to study about ants. I also went to the college library to learn about ant social behavior.

I found that vacuuming the ants kept them from giving off their pheromones and effectively removed them from my house. But it didn't get rid of the nest. If you spray ants with a pesticide, they give off a pheromone as they die. That pheromone causes many other ants from the nest to come to the dying ants, meaning you get a whole ton more ants in your house. Vacuuming prevents this.

As far as how I was able to successfully able to eliminate the ants, this is what I did:
    1. I found the places in my house that the ants were entering. They typically enter through a corner in a wall where it meets the floor.
    2. I took Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and made a large circle of the petroleum jelly around the ant entryway.
    Ants cannot cross a petroleum jelly barrier. It will kill them and they can sense it. It blocks their breathing passages (spiracles) on their abdomens. I made the circle large enough to allow the ants to feel comfortable entering the circle.
    3. Then I put a granular poison inside the circle. If you are concerned about your birds getting to the poison, all you have to do is to place a cover over the granules so the birds cannot get to the poison. You only need a very few grains of the poison.

4. The ants will do the work from here.
    Ants cannot swallow their own food. The way they eat is this: An ant picks up a piece of food and chews it. He then feeds it to another ant.
    Therefore, when an ant finds the poison granules, he thinks it's food and brings it to his nest. A 'doctor' ant then checks out the 'food' and gives the okay for the food bringer to feed other ants.

5. I was able to permanently wipe out a huge well-established fire ant colony this way. The pest control company had not been as successful.
    I lived ant-free for years after that.

The product I used here in the United States was Max Force Granules.
    There are also some bait stations that work very well, too. Where I live now I only have occasional ants 'visiting' me in the kitchen. I once left my maple syrup on the countertop and they found it. Now I put it in the refrigerator, LOL. But all I need now is the ant bait stations that have tiny clear bait stations with a little liquid in them.

Anyway, that's a little of my history with ants. I studied them for a couple of years before I hit upon this idea, and it worked for me.

By the way, another thing you can do is to place petroleum jelly around the legs of your bird cage stands so that the ants won't get at the cages. The birds won't be attracted to the petroleum jelly and if they find it by accident (which I doubt they would), it shouldn't hurt them. A lot of people use petroleum jelly around the base of their bird feeder poles.

Also, nothing but real petroleum jelly works like this. I tried other ointments, gels and oils. Only petroleum jelly will keep ants contained in one place.
    Last edited by DesertDweller; 09-08-2018 at 03:56 AM.
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

I am an organic person and do not like to use pesticides, or chemicals in my home, or around my pets. This summer, I had a problem with wasps, bees, hornets and ants. I went on line and found some good info of natural ways to repell insects.

Here is my concoction, and it worked for me. Take a spray bottle and add the following....3-5 bay leaves, crushed. 2-3 tablespoons of crushed all spice, or, whole all spice. Several drops of peppermint oil, and eucalyptis oil, and about a cup of apple cider vinegar. Then add about 1\2 cup of your dish soap, and then add enough warm water to the mix. Put spray lid on top of bottle, shake well, and spray outside your front and back door, in basements, on patios, or on base boards of your home where there are no pets. Just keep replacing the mix in the bottle.

I also took some empty aluminum pie pans and cut them in 4 pie pieces. I then took yarn, and threaded through the top of each piece, and tied them to shepherd hooks that I use to hang flower baskets on. These repelled insects and spiders away from my outside front door and yard area.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Mom of 3 fids Chick Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! DesertDweller's Avatar
    Name
    Pat
    Thanks

I'll have to try some of those things, Ellen. I especially want to try the pie plate spider repellent. Spiders love super hot weather, and we have that here!!
    Whitefaced Pearl Cockatiel Smokey Bear: Hatched June 14, 2018
    Whitefaced Pied Cockatiel Wolfie Barry James (Wolfgang): Hatched approx: December 25, 2017
    Yellow Naped Amazon Benny Francis: Hatched March 24, 2018

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

I have recluse spiders here. I was bitten by one on my right leg below the knee a few years ago! Thankfully, I did not have long term damage, but there is danger for it. I got to prompt care in time. Had a prescription of antibiotics, a tetanus shot, and special cream to put on it. I have all kinds of insect critters here. I always tell folks.......this is a homeless shelter for insects of all kinds...24\7...365 days a year!!!

Remove Ads