Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Beloved Friend Ollie

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wil
    Thanks

My Beloved Friend Ollie

I am writing this to Honor my Best friend Ollie, a Blue and Gold Macaw who I lost the night before last. I have raised Parrots for over 20 years, and know that you can really get attached to them. But Ollie was a shocker. I purchased him and a companion Ricky "a Double Yellow" who had both been purchased as egg's and lived together in Utah until 2000, when there elderly owners had to give them up due to health reasons. When they flew in from Utah, and i picked them up from the airport, I knew there was something different about these two immediately. I could tell they had been treated with the deepest of Love all there lives. Ollie became my best friend, someone I could tell everything too, someone who would give me a kiss whenever I needed, and I he. Someone who loved unconditionally, someone who would die for me. Ollie had the best and clearest vocabulary of any Blue and Gold I have ever seen. When the Umbrella's got loud, or an Amazon spoke up, he would say "Shut up" "Be quiet" "Stop it". He would call the kittie's, he would meow. When I gave him fruit, Nuts, or Crackers, he would say umm whats that, and I would call it by name, then he would say umm again to let me know it was one of his favorites. He would lunge at any stranger who came close to me, as if to say " this is my best friend "My family' Watch out, do'nt touch Dad until I know your OK. About 2 years ago in the middle of the night a big moth got in the house, and some how got into Ollie's cage and landed on him in the middle of the night, and he became unglued. Ever sinse that night he was never the same, I took him to avian vet after vet with no answers other than brighter night lights. But he was never the same. He gradually stopped taking care of himself, and slept mostly in the daytime. About one week ago, something happened. I woke up to the sound of his wings flapping, and found him in almost a lathargic state with his feet all clinched to the cage. I pryed him loose and held him for about 2 hours until he came out of it. His diet then went down, so I started antibiotics, hand feeding, fruits, and anything I could get him to nibble on "better something than nothing". Ollie I believed suffered from panic attacks, something treated in humans, and somewhat in birds, "but at what cost". The day before his death, I knew it was close to the end. That night I held him on my chest from 10 pm until his final flight to the heavens at 4:15, I sang our song to him, I talked about our good times, I told him I would join him some day, and I told him I would never forget him. About 15 minutes before his death, and holding him on my chest where he always loved to be, i was singing our song quietly in his ear, and I asked for a kiss, "something we always did" with all he could muster he turned his head just enough, and stuck out that giant dry tongue one last time to say I love you and touched my lips, and then he was gone. I have lost many loved ones in my 54 year life, but I have never cried as much, or found it so hard to let go. I walked out at 1 a m, an hour ago and touched the ground on his grave, and said goodnight Ollie I love you, something I have done every night for years. I pray the pain gets less, and I pray that I can keep my promise that we shall be together some day. For those of you new to Parrots please remember, "They are Family" and they can become your soul mate. I hope that in writing this, Ollie's memory stays alive, and wish to say that the love you recieve is unconditional, and complete. Think of Ollie sometimes as I do, and if you find a Parrot that express'es his or her love to you, "you can't escape it'. respect it, embrace it. feel it. They will do all for you, at least do the same for them.

Thank you from Ollies best friend "Dad"
    Thanks
    Wil

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Re: My Beloved Friend Ollie

I'm sorry to hear about Ollie.
    You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

To find out what's happening with my pionus Buddy, visit this thread here.

Please visit my Photo.net profile

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

oh, what a lovely bird. i am sorry to hear about your loss. i know you must really be hurting now, but i hope that each day gets a little easier. hugs to you.

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

hugs..
    *cries with*

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wil
    Thanks

Thank you all so much, writing that helped me so much in healing.
    Wil

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Wil,
    That is a beautiful tribute to Ollie. I feel like I got to know him through your descriptive words. His last "I love you" speaks volumes. He was telling you he won't forget you either.
    I do hope you will meet again someday. For me, if animals are not in Heaven, then I went to the wrong place. I hope you can get stronger daily, and work through the pain of your loss. You gave Ollie a wonderful life, and that is the best we can do. I am so sorry for your loss.

Egg's Cracking... Shauna "Cockatiel Mom"'s Avatar
    Name
    Shauna Hill
    Thanks

Wil,

That is one of the most touching memorials I have ever read. I'm at work just crying my eyes out. All of us who have lost a loved bird companion know the pain you are going through. One thing that I noticed is how you mentioned that you took Ollie in when his long time human companion could no longer take care of him. That speaks volumes right there. You took him in at a most vulnerable time (the loss of his long time caregiver) and made the transition and easier one to make. You made sure that he was not bounced around from home to home as some birds sadly are. He found another "home" to spend the rest of his days. As much as he made a impact in your life. You made one in his. That's why is was so vital that you were there for him as he took his last breath. His best friend right to the end. You have many wonderful memories to keep in your heart.

My thoughts are with you.

- Shauna

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Wil,
    I just found this post.
    OMG that is so sad, i am sorry for your loss, i had tears running down my cheecks while i was reading, it was a touching memorial. I am sure that ollie is feling better and knows that you will always love him. Again i am sorry for your loss, it is never easy.
    Melody

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

That was extremly sad, Wil. It literally had me with tears in my eyes. I am so very sorry for your terrible loss.
    PUERTO RICO

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Oooh, I'm so sorry to hear about Ollie! I understand how hard this must be for you. But it sounds like he had a truly wonderful life, and he loved you as much as you loved him. He sounds like such a sweet birdie... Take your time to grieve, and enjoy all the happy memories you have of him.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

Hi,

3 Years ago, we lost our beloved baby too, his name too was Olly, the pain of losing him was so great, we both cried for days, the following link helped, its a poem that gives hope to us all, and in time the pain does heal, we now have a new baby called Harry whilst Olly will never be replaced Harry does fill our days with love and laughter.

rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Trust me this web page gives us all hope in times of such sorrow, hugs and kisses, be strong.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Dear Will,

that is one of the most beautiful, heartfelt tributes I have ever read. I can so feel that deep bond of love between you. I have also lost a close loved bird before, and I know just how much it hurts.

But remember, that although he may not be physically around anymore, he is always going to be around because he is a big part of you. His memory and love will always be alive with you. You will remember him and smile instead of cry one day, because of what a wonderful bird he was, and because you know how lucky you are to have shared that love with him. He hasn't really gone, he is still very much a part of you and always will be, and I can see that you have shared some wonderful happy times with him.

I wonder what happened in the end. How old was he? Did the vet find nothing at all in the blood tests? That is such a difficult thing, when you loose them after trying and still not quite knowing for sure what happened.

My deepest sympathies go out to you. I had tears in my eyes as I was reading that. I hope that it helps to comfort you knowing that there are bird people here who understand your pain and loss.

*big hugs*

By the way, to Tailfeathers. I am only sorry that you have joined under such difficult and sad circumstances. Remember that we are here if you need to talk more about Ollie.

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Will I am so sorry to hear about Olly, that was such a moving tribute that like many others I read it with tears rolling down my face.

Lyn
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Brand New Egg
    Name
    wil
    Thanks

Thanks again so much for reading Ollie's story. Your feedback has helped a great deal, and I know that I achieved what I set out to do, and that was to keep Ollie's memory alive. I could speak volumns on what he and I shared, but can see you all understand. Just writing that piece helped me a great deal. In answer to the blood test question, the results showed no problem. A very good Vet that I had taken Ollie to see took a great deal of his own time in research after checking Ollie out, his conclusion was that Ollie's condition was phycological, that when the moth landed on him in the middle of the night, night time for Ollie was fear. He gave me the idea of a brighter night light in Ollie's area which did help some, at least he would doze from time to time. When he had the last attack the week before his passing, I called that vet, and described the event, he believed that Ollie had a stroke although I was able to rub his feet, and massage him, and get him to where he could function on his own, I believe the damage was done. I thought about sending Ollie to the University Of Minnesota where they would do a Post on him, but could not bring myself to do that in this case.

In closing I would like to let others know that if you ever loose a beloved pet, try to put it in words as I did, and dont be afraid to talk about it to others, especially the flock, or other pets who shared in that life also. I am now working on ways to make it easier on Ricky, Ollie's life long friend who I can tell miss'es his big buddy.

Thank You all
    Wil

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

I'm sorry, and sorry for being so late. Your story made me cry, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Ollie was one special bird and had one special owner...
    -content removed by author-