Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Are they really this sweet?

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

Are they really this sweet?

Okay I am a little leary here. My Nanday conure is the sweetest bird I have ever seen. Loves cuddles, hates when I leave the room, just adores everyone. Is he fooling me? I have only had him for 6 days.
    Jake Caesar

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: Are they really this sweet?

read through some of the threads. I have been reading and noticed that after a little " settling in time" they start trying the limits. Others with conures will be letting you know what you may expect in the next weeks ahead. Good luck!

Oh, and Pictures!

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Nope, he's not fooling you; conures often love their people.

But yes, he is also fooling you. As they get more comfortable, conures love to boss around the people they love!

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

I've only had my conure for 2wks and he's such a sweetie. They are very cuddly and affectionate, in a totally different way to tiels. However the others are right when they say they are bossy and will soon start to test boundaries.

Mine will crawl all over me, roll over for me to scratch under his wings, lay on his back with one foot grasping my finger, and just as I start to think...oh this is bliss...he will bite me real hard.

I do think they are worth the odd bite though as they really are characters with huge personalities.
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

lol... indi is a sweetheart... no doubt... but can be soooooooo bossy... she has a princess syndrome.. thinks she is boss.. and everyone was created to serve and amuse her.

cuddles... lol.. yeah... loves.. yeah...clown antics.. yeah.. but under it all there is a schoolyard bully..lol.. she pushes her luck. so im alot harder on her than i am on sweetie. my tiel. she gets cage time every day. her screams do NOT get any response.. <and for parronting a nanday.. you need to follow THAT piece of advice> i give her all the love and attention she wants. BUT.. i am head bird in the relationship. and they cant be allowed to forget it, or they will rule the roost.

a pretty big parrot, put into a really small body. lol... my mom says she turns bulldog... will drop her body down and storm over to something.

a couple days to a couple of weeks is normal for settling in time. if you havnt purchased a book on conures, i suggest you do. firmness and love is the order of the day. they are expected to UP when asked.. as my vet said.. its not a multi choice answer. i give them alot more leeway than most parronts... but indi knows by my tone of voice when enough is enough...

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

as sweet as conures are, they can also be little hellions. you WILL get bit one day- it comes with "owning" a wild animal. but don't take it personally.

i have a nanday as well- welcome to the board!

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

I am soooo in love with both my birds and each have a special place in my heart. There is something to be said for owning a parrot. He has stolen my heart in a way that I didn't think was possible. I will get a book as soon as possible. Any input and teaching would be wonderful
    Jake Caesar

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

I can see where he steals your heart, what a beauty!

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Anyone got a title of a good book on conures for us new owners
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

ok well i got Mattie Sue Athan .. guide to companion parrot behaviour today.. and getting her guide to a well behaved parrot in about 2 weeks.. must say the first one is BRILLIANT.... its not aimed for conures specifically.. but gives soooooooooooo many tips, and some really important info i didnt know

i can suggest that book.. and IM SURE the next one to any bird owner.. new and old.. a good book for the book collection. has a section on tiels aswell... advice for screaming, biting and other undesirable behaviour...

first timer book.. this one is brilliant...
    i bought barrons conure book.. and honestly it left much to desire.. had 2 pages on feeding... no general amounts... had maybe 3 pages on behaviours and training. but is a very good book if you wanted to know more about keeping and breeding different conures. also gives a good break down of different conures.. but really it wasnt worth the money i paid.. taught me nothing i didnt know. for a first time owner.. it might be a good choice.. but really i didnt enjoy it.

lol... the guide to companion parrots.. actually had my reading for more than 15 mins.. <im a fast reader> took me about 3 hours to get from cover to cover.. and will have to do a more lengthly reading to absorb everything.. but a good book.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Oh, a Naday! How cute! Of all the conures, I have had the most experience with Nandays. In my experience they can be cheeky, playful, very funny and affectionate, but most of all - LOUD!! Oh - and nippy if they do not know you! We have one that boards regularly at work, and he deafens me every morning, and teaches all the other parrots to squawk! Apparently every time he goes home, he is loud and naughty for the first week. Sounds like he passes on his bad habits too!

Great photo! Very nice bird.

to Tailfeathers.