Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Time to remove the eggs??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Question Time to remove the eggs??

Hi,

One of my tiels has been laying unfertilzed eggs for a while. She lays a new batch of 3-5 eggs about every month and a half.

I have taken the steps to stop this, such as only allowing 10 hours of daylight and rearranging the cage weekly.

She has started to ignore the eggs more (she normally would lay on them almost all day), now she'll come out more often and only lay on them when she seems bored. This has happened for about 5 days. She hasn't fully ignored them, but it seems like she's starting to.

So my question...should I take the eggs out now, or wait? I'm not sure if I wait, if she'll lay more eggs? (I've heard her 'in the act' and rubbing against her food perch (which is what she does right before she lays eggs) but I have stopped her by walking up to the cage, then she stops)
    Or...should I take them out, and if I do, will she still lay more eggs?

I just don't know when this is going to stop. She is only about 2 years old, and this is the first year that I've had her during breeding season. She has a younger sister in the cage with her that is from another batch, and is probably a year younger.

Also...do they tend to lay eggs every spring? Or is this a once in a lifetime situation?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sandra
    Thanks

Re: Time to remove the eggs??

Still no new eggs...but she has been rubbing up against her perch a little more....should I take the eggs out? She hasn't layed on them in just about a week. Will this stop her from laying soon anyway? Or is it too late?

Name
    Pam
    Thanks

Re: Time to remove the eggs??

How long has this batch of eggs been in the cage? Where are the eggs? On the floor? in a food bowl? In a box? It's hard to say what she will do when you take them out.. I might leave the eggs in a little longer if you want to be safe, there is really no harm in leaving them. Sounds like you're doing the right things by limiting light and rearranging the cage. I think I would just leave them until she has no interest, but others might advise otherwise. She seems pretty determined to have a clutch. Yes breeding is an annual event, but her interest level my be different next year.