Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    M
    Thanks

Rubbing Beak Against Bars??

I just got Stryker two days ago. He is already whistling to me and allows me to put my hand in the cage without going nuts. Well in the past hour he has been rubbing his beak on the bars every so often. Why does he do that??

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Re: Rubbing Beak Against Bars??

First of all to Tailfeathers!! You will find of very knowledgable people here that will help you with everything in a positive way! I have yet to come across someone here that gives advice with disrespect!

Alliee, my sun conure, rubs her beak across cae bars, perches, my shirt or finger when she finishes eating something. It kinda cleans off her beak. She will sometimes try to get my attention with doing that!
    Yours Truely, Emily

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

to Tailfeathers.

Thank you for your question "M". That is the shortest name I ever seen.

With regards to your bird banging the cage bars with his beak it could be a sign of "Hey I Am Here and this is My Property/Space." Usually a male bird will do this, although my female does it, usually after eating. So what Emily says about whiping her beak against the bars could be another reason.

Hope this helps!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Dee
    Thanks

My tiel does that too, and if he hasn't been eating, I see it as a sign he's staking out his territory. Lots of wild male birds do a version of it - in woodpeckers, it's known as "drumming" and they do it in the spring, going to the highest place they can find to announce to any other males close by that this space is "theirs."
    The petting zoo that owns me:

5 cats - Emma, Cece, Stoney, Ana and Tigger
    2 budgies, Pete and Repeat
    1 cockatiel, Fonzie
    I Pacific parrotlet, Tiki
    2 freshwater tropical fish tanks
    1 fancy goldfish tank

I also get visitation with a Quaker parrot when my boyfriend comes to visit. . .

Brand New Egg
    Name
    M
    Thanks

Thanks everyone. The establishing "his" space sounds like the reason. especially because he is new here and all. oh btw i got him a new bigger cage today. Can you believe i had him in a 12 by 12 by 16!!! Poor baby. so today i got him a 28 by 36. Still not huge, but on my budget and compared to the other one, it is a mansion!! He looks so much happier in ti. i also got him a millet spray and two toys to hang in his new home. i still need to get him a mineral block though.
    I am happy i found this board. I am on others for my German Shepherd, Goldfish, and Hhamster. But i didn't see very many for Cockatiels.
    Oh and my name is Meli short for Melissa. I was just in a hurry yesterday.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi Meli- and welcome to TF's. Stryker sounds like he feels right at home. He probably is marking his territory.

My birds will rub their beaks against the bars when:
    They want to clean off their beaks
    They want attention (by me or one of their mates)
    They want to come out of their cage.
    They are angry with one of their mates and want to establish that they have the 'upper hand' in the cage.

Is this your first bird?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    M
    Thanks

I guess i have to count him as my first bird. The only other birds i have ever had, i had when i was about 8 or so. They were two Parakeets (Budgies). I have always wanted a cockatiel. I think they are so beautiful. Stryker is really sweet and seems to be doing well in his new bigger cage. I am looking around my area for a vet so that Stryker can get his wings clipped so that he can come out of the cage. I would do it myself, but i am terrified of doing it wrong and having something go seriously wrong. I am still letting him get use to our house and am not touching him or anything, just singing and taking to him. I am goign to wait for a while before taking him to the vet.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

When you get his wings trimmed, ask the vet to explain what exactly he is doing so you can learn and do it at home. It is really not that hard, but if you have never done it before, then it is good that you are getting the advice of a professional first. Be careful with him out of the cage in the meantime. You do not want him to run into any windows or out the door!
    PUERTO RICO

Brand New Egg
    Name
    M
    Thanks

I am so afraid of letting him out and having him run into a window and hurt himself.

Name
    Fen, if you want to type something shorter
    Thanks

Close the blinds, doors...and take all breakables away. ^_^ Just take it slow. Your birdie will be fine!!

Heh, I love it when they wipe their beaks!! It's so cute!! I always laugh when Tsuki smears her face on my hand.
    See my profile to read about my animals!

Banner made by my best friend!

Like Death Note? Join Death Note Domain, a great new forum! It's awesometastic.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I would suggest taking Stryker to an avian vet to have his wings clipped for the first time. Stryker is getting along so well with you now, you don't want a setback. And the vet can show you what to do.

Cover windows, close doors, cover mirrors... and leave his cage door open if you are going to have him out with you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    M
    Thanks

good idea. I think i am going to try to let him out of his cage in the office. It has one window easy to cover mirror and hardly any breakables. Widh me luck, i havee never done this before. Question: what happens if he doesn't want to get back in his cage or come back to me?

Name
    Fen, if you want to type something shorter
    Thanks

DO NOT grab him. Take it easy. If he's very flighty, it may be difficult, but chasing him around and snatching him up will only take away ALL his trust of you. It's best to see if you can keep him under control. If he gets out of reach, climb up and get him, but avoid frightening him. Good luck.
    See my profile to read about my animals!

Banner made by my best friend!

Like Death Note? Join Death Note Domain, a great new forum! It's awesometastic.