Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: watery poop

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

watery poop

I am home on my lunch hour and was playing with Peaches and he pooped on me, as usual, but his poop was not usual. It was yellow and runny and warm (he pooped on my hand). He is fine otherwise. He's acting normal. He was peeping like crazy when I came in and very anxious to get out of his cage for attention (he's very demanding like that!) His poop was fine this morning before I left for work. He pooped a pretty big morning poop just after I let him out of his cage (he likes to do that - hold it in and then poop a big one). I actually thought it was a little harder than usual this morning and now it was runny. Again, no avian vets around here. Should I just keep my eye on it and check his poops when I get home tonight or is one runny poop incident enough cause to take him to the vet? (a regular vet - do not specialize in birds) Thanks. I want my little peeper to feel okay.

Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

Re: watery poop

Well, first of all the large poop in the morning is normal. They don't poop while they are sleeping and it's a good indication that your bird slept well. But the runny poop is probally normal too if he hasn't ate much lately. I know that when my tiel is out of the cage or distracted by something for a long time her poop gets a little runny because she hasn't ate much. So, I usally put her in her cage or give her something to eat.
    But the yellow color is what I'm concerned with. Have you feed him something that could change the color of his poop. Sometimes giving them something that has dye in it will change the color of the poop. That's why you don't want to give them very much food that has dyes in it because you can't tell what "normal" is.
    I suggest you monitor him tonight. You might even put some plain white paper in the bottom of the cage so you can really see the color changes in his poop. But if this continues I would strongly suggest taking the bird to an avian vet no matter the distance!
    Hope this helps.
    In loving memory of Mattie the...

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Yellow is not normal, unless he eats colored pellets or something. Is there anything else, any other symptom at all?

Look at the link I found http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ead.php?t=1675
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

well, it could have been a light green. there wasn't much. he does eat colored pellets and yesterday tony gave him some fresh veggies (well, frozen). no other symptoms. he seemed totally fine. I was really surprised to feel a little wet spot on my hand.

avian vets are not at all easy to come by around here. it appears the closest on the aav.org website is 2 hours away. and if there was a serious concern i would take him there, but we are also pressed for time this week. we're getting married on saturday. i'll just keep a close eye on him tonight and check his poop a lot and if he's still watery in the morning, i'll see if i can take him somewhere tomorrow.

Name
    Tessa
    Thanks

congratulations Michelle ^_^ Sometimes Stan has pretty runny poops sometimes, especially right after he takes a big drink.

Hope your birdie is okay!!

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

He was fine last night and this morning. Just one runny poop. Tony thinks I am so paranoid because I always think there is something wrong with Peaches. He thinks I should have Peaches live in a bubble, I'm so protective of him. I do love checking this board and looking at pictures and learning more about my precious pet, but sometimes I do think he's right. I read about something and then I think Peaches has it too. Does that happen to anyone else?

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Yes, I get paranoid. For my birds and any others I see that MIGHT be sick or in danger I see them as fragile creatures and I know from experience that they can go downhill fast.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

fresh veggies (even frozen that have been thawed) will give my birds loose poops too. Especially corn. They all love it and I can expect messy cages the next time I clean them LOL

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Remove Ads