Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I want to become a veterinary assistant...

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

I want to become a veterinary assistant...

I have a part-time job right now and everyone is telling me to "get a better job." Thats all I hear! I am surprised Luna has not learned it yet. Anyway, I was formerly a veterinary assistant. Looking through internet sites to find a job for days now, I could not see myself doing any of these jobs and enjoying them. I am just now realizing that the only thing I want to do is to work with animals I am almost positive that this is the only thing for me. I always had a very strong love for animals, and they seem to like me too, for the most part The problem. I am studying business. I will have my degree after I finish my last 4 classes. I think I should become a Veterinary Technitian, but I cannot go away to college and I don't know if I can afford to do it! I don't know if there are any local schools up in Northern Virginia, I am sure they are somewhere....What do you all think?
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

Re: I want to become a veterinary assistant...

I too had thought of working with animals..and I always wanted to be a Veterinarian. I realized though, that I didn't want to be one enough to go to school for 8+ years, and there are a lot of things that I wouldn't enjoy about being a vet. So, I did think about a vet tech, like you, but from what I've heard, the work is basically grunt work, and you really don't get paid much. Not that money is everything, I know that, but I know that I don't want to struggle to make ends meet all my life. I know I'm gonna need to pay for all these animals that I'm undoubtedly going to get throughout my life.

Sooo..while I'd still love to do something with animals, I think I'll do it though some volunteer work, or something like that, on the side.

That's not to say that a vet tech would be a bad career choice or anything..I'm sure some people make enough money and they really love it. These are just opinions I've heard in general.

Hmm..and I'm not sure about colleges in Virginia. You could perhaps take some online courses for now..and maybe the vet tech thing could be something a little further down in the future, like you can do something with your business degree now, and then at some point perhaps you'll be in a position where you still want to be a vet tech and you can afford to take more classes, and perhaps you'll be in a different location where it'll be possible to do so locally.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

neat! i have a friend/contractor for S & H who is in vet tech school right now and she hopes to be an avian vet tech when she graduates. she loves it!

i say go for it. a lot of trade schools have vet tech programs, and i bet community colleges, too.

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Thanks both for your replies! Pay is something that I would look into. I think the average is supposed to be around $50,000 (USD) yearly. Northern Virginia should be a good place for an education. This area seems to have all kinds of stuff, job opportunities and educational institutions. I just have to look I guess...

the first post I made was kinda unclear. My title said I want to be a vet assistant, but then I started talking about veterinary techintian...Anyway, what I am trying to say is that...I want to be a vet assistant NOW! And guess what!? I have an INTERVIEW at a vet hospital to become a veteriary assistant TOMMARROW!!! I am really exited and nervous, but I know I am ready for this job!!! They even treat birds there, but I don't think anyone is board certified in avian medicine. Anyway, I am all nerves right now!!!
    PUERTO RICO

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Ohhh, good luck with the job interview!

I am not sure what universities are in your area, but if you really want to be involved with vet work, it'd be worth considering what educational programs and work experiences would make you desirable in the field. If you're four credits short of the business degree, then no doubt that is worth finishing. But there is no rule against a second degree.

Some random thoughts:
    -Becoming an actual vet requires a biology major very similar to pre-med. Then you have to go to vet graduate school. Worth thinking about if lots of school and HARD biology are your cup of tea.
    -Being a vet assistant sounds like an awesome job to me. In my experience they do a lot of valuable things around the clinics. They help out with aspects of appointments, and they definitely help with animals that are staying the day or night. If it pays enough, I bet it'd be really itneresting! Whether you get a vet assistant job now or not, why not work toward a second degree? If there is a degree that certifies or qualifies vet assistants, then its probably well worth having. Most programs allow part time students, so you could make ends meet and get the Associates or Batchelors you need. There might be programs in northern VA or at least close at hand. University of Virginia system? The DC area?

Other jobs working with animals might include positions with the humane society and related orgs. I don't know what they pay. I do know that you have to be able to deal with some pretty tough people and situations, which takes a pretty particular personality...and then you have to come home at night after seeing really bad things or knowing a dog has been put down and live the rest of your life. I can't do those things--just like I probably couldn't be a social worker or a police officer or else I'd come home sad or outraged every night--but if you have the "tough" personality that can take it, then it might be an option.

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Thank you, Danielle. I actually was a vet assistant in the past, so I witnessed some surgery, delt with emotional people, and even had to assist putting animals to sleep, which I will never really get used to. A veterinary technitian is a licenced professional who can legally practice veterinary medicine. A vet assistant is under a vet tech and cannot legally practice veterinary medicine. So, since you need to be licenced to be a vet tech, If I went to get a degree as a vet tech, it would be a more advanced position.

I have 4 courses left as I mentioned so I will graduate by...5 months from now! Then I might move on to another degree. Good thing I like learning! Also, I might pic up some good advice from this vet clinic if I end up working there as they have 3 vet techs and 3 vets working there. I'll bet they would know where to go for a degree. And I am not interested in becoming a veterinarian. Thats alot of work and many people are not even accepted into the universities...Thanks!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Good thing I have an interview tomarrow. The guy I work with is kinda strange and subtle-ly rude (sp?)
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Sounds like an odd interviewer.

It rocks that you've got a possible lead though! Let us know how it goes!!!

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Odd interviewer? hehe! I am not sure if you misunderstood me, but i will just repeat to be clear. The job I have now, there is this guy I work with. He is kinda strange. i think he is OCD. Also, he can be subtle-ly rude to me. As in he askes me to make copies of papers and says, "do you want me to hold on to these so you do not get confused?" but It's not that complicated and I feel that he is belittling me...So I need to get out of here anyway and get a better job........

OMG! I cannot believe this. The guy I work with was SO RUDE to someone that just came in and asked for help! I am SO glad I am leaving now. This guy is a total a**
    Last edited by Luna1285; 09-20-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Oh, I thought you meant the interviewer had said stuff like that! LOL!

Anyway, good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Thanks! You know I will let you guys know what happens! The interview is tomarrow at 12:30! Now I have to go home and get ready. What will I wear? I hope I am not nervous during the interview! I hope I answer the questions correctly! BTW, this is my first REAL interview!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

awesome about your interview. hope it goes well.

And about the $50,000 yearly for a vet tech?? I don't think that's right, that sounds more like what it is for an actual vet. Vet techs get paid around $15,000-20,000/year. That's from the info I found at any rate..and the pay for an actual vet would be more around the $50,000 range if you're in a good area and stuff.

Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I'm suprised vets don't make more! Interesting.

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

I'm confused, I want to go to school to become an actaul vet, avian. But all the places that I have advertise, colleges, say vet "tech"....
    -content removed by author-

Name
    Alicia
    Thanks

I know some vets can make up to even close to $100,000/year..but it all really depends on the location..and you tend to make more if you have your own practice and stuff I think. And I think you gotta be lucky, lol.

And most schools offer vet tech degrees..it's more the universities that offer real vet degrees. But yeah..you can go to a tech school and get a vet tech degree in like..2 years. Best thing to do would probably be talk to a school counselor about what you want to do, and they can probably help you figure out where you can go to get what degree you want. I think to be an avian vet you gotta get a regular vet degree..and then you gotta do something extra. Not entirely sure how it all works. Just be prepared for a LOT of school..hope you like school..lol.

Remove Ads