where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sick Bird

Mama to 4 tiels! Brand New Egg Amberjoy35's Avatar
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Sick Bird

I got a new tiel last Friday. This is not my first bird, or my first tiel for that matter. I noticed on Wednesday, that he had quieted down some, and he wasn't asking to come out as much. Thursday when I woke up to check on him, he was sitting in the bottom of his cage sleeping. I knew right away that was a bad sign. So I called to the closest avian vet and tried to get in. Well, the Dr. is out of town until Monday, since he is in Vegas for a confrence.

I thought to myself, that he's still coming out and interacting, evenings are better, but he is still eating and drinking. So I set up a 9:30 appt. for the moring of Sept 26. Friday was about the same, but he slept all day. Didn't make a noise, didn't want to come out and I realized that I wouldn't be able to wait until MOnday for the avian vet to see him. I tried to find another vet, but they were just further and further away. Sat. morning came and I noticed that my bird now had diahrrea. That was it. I called the nearest vet and asked if they treated birds and asked it I could come in right away. 20 mins later, we were at the vet.

The vet looked Tucker over and noticed that he was underweight. He looked at his food and noticed some mold on what I thought looked like a nut shell. He put him on Orbax antibiotic and Avi-Con water soluble vitamins. The Dr.'s assistant gave Tucker his first dose of antibiotics right there and said I needed to do this everyday for 8 days.

Where I am concerned is that the Dr. never really said what the birds problem was. Has anyone ever heard of giving Orbax to birds before? From the research that I have gathered is that it's mainly for dogs and cats. Also, what about these vitamins for the water? I thought you weren't suppose to put anything like meds and such in the water. Also, he still doesn't seem like he feels any better. Generally from your experiance, how long before a bird starts to feel better after going on meds? He still won't perch and prefers to sit on the bottom of his cage, fluffed up. He doesn't have diahrrea anymore, and he's eating, but I still haven't seen him drink on his own and have been "watering" him every two hours, per the Dr.'s instructions. Poor thing is on the verge of hating me because of this.

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions?

Amber

Name
    Kimberly
    Thanks

Re: Sick Bird

It should take a few days for you to notice a big difference. I was told that vitamins in the water is not a good idea if the tiel is on a good pellet diet.
    Is your vet avian certified?
    Does your tiel usually drink water from a water bottle. Sometime after a long trip I can just hold the water bottle up to my tiel and she will drink from it. I'm not sure what the misting will do for your bird. He should really be drinking water. But at least he is eating!
    Good luck and hope he feels better soon. Make sure you give him the antibiotic for all 8 days.
    In loving memory of Mattie the...

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

water every 2 hours seems like alot. Is this a board certified AVIAN vet? or just a vet that deals with birds along with other animals?

Vitamins in the water is generally a bad idea. The vitamin mix when added to water harbors bacteria.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

When I said "watering" I meant putting water into a syringe (needleless LOL) and giving it to him. I wasn't just misting him.

That being said, he's showing a HUGE improvement. I changed his seeds out with fresh ones from the store and threw the others out. Also, he is eating more often and drinking on his own. I am not putting the vitamins in his water, as I think it deterred him from drinking from the dish. I just chalk it up to $10 wasted....LOL

Lauren, no he was not an Avian vet. The one that was closest was out of town until the 26th and I knew I couldn't wait to take him in, so I did what I could and took him to a regular vet that treated birds.

Thanks for the help,

Amber

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Well I am glad he is doing better! Keep us posted. And if anything comes up or any questions, feel free to ask.
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Thanks!

Name
    Tessa
    Thanks

So did you take him to the avian vet yesterday as well as the other vet saturday??

I hope he gets real better real soon!! You did the right thing to take him to an 'all'animal' vet

Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Thanks Tessa! No I didn't take him to the AVIAN vet yesterday. I couldn't afford to since I had spent almost $100 on Sat. I have been watching him like a hawk though. If he seems to fall into that depressed/sick funk then he'll be off the the AVIAN vet then!

Amber

Remove Ads